• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Please tell me, what was BK's plan?

d2v16DKG

Please, please tell me what was the plan again? Oh yeah,to get rid of all our players (whether they are good or not) and start over from scratch. This way we will get cap room and maybe pick up Kolbe Bryant. Well guess what guys, that plan sucked and now the Hawks suck. We got rid of all our players, got cap room and picked up second-stringers, has-beens, and draft picks which will take a lot of time to ever mount to anything. The bottom line is we are not even competitive; worst than that downright embarassing.

Last year I watched every game and we didn't win a whole lot but at least every game we were in. This year's team is unwatchable. We can't handle the ball, we can't shoot (below 30% I believe for fgs), and we're not playing much defense either. Heck, we can't even hit foul shots (last year's team was among the leaders in foul shots). But you guys yelled and screamed, get rid of JT, get rid of Reef; boy we could sure use those guys now!! Well, I hope you're all very happy. We have worst than an expansion team. I bet the Bobcats get more wins than us. WHAT EXACTLY WAS THE PLAN??? We can not build a team around Harrington and Walker. We don't even have "the Stinger" any more. I bet BK had something to do with that as well. I have a sick feeling in my stomach- this will be a long, painful season with little hope for things to get better. We have no good players out with injury to blame it on; these players are just not that good. And it's not their fault. They are being asked to do things they haven't done before. Most of these players have always played backup roles in the past. This team right now has a lack of talent and no direction, and I'm afraid there is little hope for the future. I ask you again, just WHAT WAS THE PLAN???

The plan was having cap room for this season and next, and be hopeful we sign a big Free Agent and another good one, which likely wont happen because we show no intensity playing. And yes alot of wanted JT out and we get Kenny Anderson in, and yet he goes below the screens on defense and gives a 5 foot distance to Nash, thats just plain crazy. Last night was just plain HORRIBLE!!!

• Moderators

I liked reef and JT but we sucked with them and there was little chance of improvement with all our money tied up. At least we suck in a more interesting way now rather than just losing by 10 every night.

This was one game. We aren't going to lose by 30 every night. Phoenix has a lot of talent that they have been building for the last 2 years.

Everyone forgets that it is hard to win in the NBA. It takes talent, teamwork, chemistry, and constant effort. When everyone is new from the coach on down through every single player it will take time to figure out what you're doing. And, other teams are going to blow by you while you're figuring it out. But, the important thing is to come up with a good plan and see it through. Not scrap it when the team gets embarassed. It will happen again.

I guarantee last years Hawks would have gotten blown off the court too by these Suns. Hell, Marion could blow us out by himself the last 2 years and now he's got a great supporting cast.

BK has a good plan. Our biggest failures this year were not landing a great shooter and having nothing at center. We just have to hope that Willis can hold up.

I still say what is this great plan BK has? Anybody could have gotten rid of players. For the exact reason you stated: that with all new players it is difficult to get the chemistry you need to translate to victories, that is why he should have identified key players he wanted to build around- not just have a firesale. As much as you didn't like JT, he could shoot. Not even trying for Bobby Sura was ridiculous (yes, I know Bobby's hurt- that's not the point).

I'm afraid it's not just waiting for these new players to jell; they're just not that good. I was more impressed with Tabuse last night than any of the Hawk players I saw. I don't even recognize these guys (no familiar faces, not even "The Stinger"). Did BK get rid of him too?

Last I checked the plan wasn't to win game 1 of the first year of the plan but to get a good team together within a couple of years. I know some are incapable of looking to the future, but jesus.

A big part of our plan is drafting a bunch of talented youth and getting veterans around them to teach them. We have good youth in Diaw, Smith, Childress, Ivey. 3 of the 4 were playing their first NBA game EVER and the other one has played one season only, and you are judging the final value of the plan? lol

We were never supposed to win this year. Only over enthusiastic hawsquawkers built up their hopes this offseason repeating over and over "well we're not supposed to be good this year but I could see us making the playoffs". Not so. This is year one of the restart and we will not be good. Hopefully we will be competitive, but we will not be good. It is unarguable that from a talent & experience point of view , we are in the worst 3 teams in the league. But winning this year was never the point.

The point is to start developping our youth, finding our team identity, and generating chemistry. We have Harrington as a long term keeper, with Diaw , Josh Smith , and Childress as a core for our future. We may or may not keep Walker or trade him for someone else, but regardless if we can get competitive and showcase our youth this year we should be able to get some free agents this offseason. Maybe some stars, maybe some decent pieces to build with.

What is for certain is that it is absolutely foolish to judge this plan on DAY ONE of the plan.

Besides, I would rather have young, hungry players that are not that good and lose, than overpaid lazy so called star players who just want to cash a check and lose.

Bobby Sura is old and is not a player to build around. Besides he is a swingman which is basically what all our young players are that need playtime. I'll take Barry over him any day.

And are you suggesting we should have built around Terry? If so I seriously have to question your understanding of the game. A PG with a shot is useless if he has no idea how to run an offense, no court vision, and horrible decision making. There's a reason he's sitting on a bench right now.

You could not build around JT. Theo was not a player you build around, although he is a decent player. He has no offense, and he has a body made of glass. Clearly, whatever our new plan was, it was going to take a couple of years and Theo and his knees and back are getting old. Reef was very consistent but clearly he is not a winner and his attitude poisons the team morale. He is a good player, but not one you build around. Finally Big Dog, well, there's a reason Philly's buying his contract out if they can't ship him out of town.

The fact is that AOL had put together a team of overpaid players, none of which could be the centerpiece of a good team moving forward. And all those players had brought years of frustration to the town. No one is going to go see a team led by JT, or Reef, because that's the team that's pissed them off for years. So he shipped everyone out of time, to get us flexibility in our moves, and a brand new team. Also no Free Agents would sign here. So restarting everything gives them a reason to reconsider. The idea is to get the young guys active as soon as possible, and get competitive as soon as possible. If you can do that, you can talk a free agent into being the piece that takes us over the edge

btw I don't think anyone but squawkers ever thought we had a shot at Kobe.

I think what BK is doing is good, however the only thing I think he could of done better is keep some of the players that were producing from last year. A healthy Bob Sura would have helped this present team tremendously. Keeping Pryz instead of Collier should have been done. Collier is garbage...a bench player at best and he is our starting center!!

Other than those two moves I don't think BK could have done anything better. He has done the right thing, now we just have to have patience for a year or two until we get the 1st pick in next years draft and get two good FA veterans to add to Harrington and Walker and then we will be much better.

I bet our end of the season team last year would not have minded playing Phoenix. That team was hot last nite and would have been hard to beat. They took advantage of the unusual matchups and we just looked horrible. I'm afraid we may look that way frequently early in the season, we just arent ready to play yet.

BK and Woodson want an athletic, defensive oriented team. Drobjnak is the main bad move that I see so far, I guess BK thought he had backup center talent but so far I dont see it. The Walker move helped us to clear up more cap room sooner and possibly even give us more trade value, I dont think Walker is BK's kind of player. A hot Walker may win us a few games this year but we really have to watch how the young part of our team is developing and think about who will fit in well that we can buy or draft because BK definitely is not done.

I thought our future core looked reasonable last nite. Harrington and Childress havent figured out their roles on this team but I think their pasts prove what they will deliver soon. Diaw continues to look good to me. Josh has a crazy game, when he gets it under control he'll get much more playing time.

Add a lottery center or point guard and a couple of $5-10million per year vets to replace Walker and we're rebuilt. I wonder how Harrington would fit with Kwame?

Correct. I agree.

Building takes time. Winning? Not likely much of

the time this season. Having our youth go from the

inexperienced players they are now and becoming solid

building blocks for our future when we will be good.

Finding out, "Who can and who can't" and keeping those

who can and discarding or trading those that can't.

Sure, we got rid of some good players. Good players

who couldn't win in Atlanta. We kept hoping that they

would "Turn it around and win." Sometimes they did

but many times it just didn't work out. What was

our hopes then? Another year of the same thing, that's

what - and another -- and another. Always pretty good,

never great and no hope for ever being champions.

Right now, we're bad. No, we're worse than bad, we're

just plain awful. The nice thing is, we can see where

we can and will improve. A lot. Before, there was

little or no hope for that.

Given time, the plan will work. The building is far

from complete. Heck, the foundation is barely there.

With five very young players to nurture and watch grow

up into N.B.A. players, that's our thing right now.

Enjoy the ride. It's going to be a long and bumpy one.

Many curves along the way. But, remember, now we know

where we're going.

cool.gif

You make me feel better but, gosh, last night was pretty scary. Seriously, do we know what happen to the "Stinger"? I thought he was great and Grant long just doesn't have the same charisma. He says things and I know he doesn't believe what he's saying. Stinger gave me honesty and was not afraid to be critical. Is that why he's gone?

we are in fine position...and as long as Josh Smith becomes good, that's all that really matters...we just have to be good enough this year to attract michael redd with our cap space

draft: jarrett jack (pg)

sign: michael redd (sg)

trade: walker for dalembert (o'brien would do this)

our team next fall:

ka/jack/ivey

redd/barry/chill

smooth/diaw/chill

harrington/willis

dalembert/collier

suddenly we have an above average 2,4,5 and smooth should be there within 2 years...if jack or ivey or diaw become a consistent starting pg, then suddenly we are a perennial playoff team and can challenge for the title...

redd/smooth/harrington could very well be the best 2/3/4 combo in the league in 3 years...dalembert could be a top 10 center and jack/ivey/fa could be a consistent team leader at pg

all we have to do for this plan is let walker do his thing, then trade him in jan/feb

then we just need smooth to improve decently rapidly and harrington to do what the league thinks he should

then we go to redd and say: look, we got u as much money as anybody else, plus we got u smooth/harrington/dalembert as teammates...u would be able to take this team to the playoffs and compete for a championship in a short time

added bonus:

2 players in 3-pt competition: redd/barry

2 players on allstart team: redd/harrington (smooth in 3 years)

winner of dunk contest: smooth

winner of biggest fro contest: smooth

Lmao, you're right, that was a biased comment. Any comment I make about Walker will be biased since I've always hated his game. I'd say more but I actually want Walker to play great here, so we can trade him for more. Maybe something like the Terrell Brandon deal will come along again, I'd take a late lottery pick and cap space for Walker any day of the week. And I still think that's more than we would have gotten for JT and Hendu.