• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Should we give up on Diaw just yet??

Wurider05

exactly

if we don't give him that chance and give him major minutes this year, he will NOT resign with us next year

so if we aren't gonna do that, trade him NOW for a mid-late first (or even a second if we won't play him this year)...we need to stockpile picks this draft, since it's deep and level and we have the nbdl

• Premium Member

Quote:

I like his game but he is going to need minutes this year. Do we have an option on him for the 4th season. I personally think that we can make him something special. Should we give him one more season here in atlanta??

I don't see why we shouldn't. Everyone loves to talk about potential and skill set around here lately regarding Marvin Williams, but seem to be ready to trade Diaw, with all of his potential and versatility, after only his second season. He can play any position from the 1 to the 3, and can defend any of those positions well. While he obviously needs to be more aggresive offensively,I do appreciate his pass first mentality and his steady commitment to defense. Even if he never develops offensively, he could be a great utility man off of the bench to fill in for the pg,sg,or sf. He does need more minutes, and I think that will happen this year. Besides, if I remember correctly, I recall Mike Woodson saying something about bringing in all of the "young guys" in for the summer league to get them all on the same page and he specifically mentioned Boris in that group.

Agree. I appreciate Diaw's defense and versatility a lot. As far as his lack of aggresiveness offensively, I don't really understand it- whether it's a result of a lack of confidence in his offensive skills or whether he's just that unselfish a player where he'd rather try and feed it to others than take the shot himself.

It's a tough call, but I'd be inclined to keep him. I would be pretty resistant to including him in a trade for a draft pick, because Diaw does have experience in this system, and that is valuable in and of itself. And I don't particularly want to see a team filled with *too* many first and second year players. That's exciting and everything, but you need to have a proper mix between veterans and youth. Somebody's got to show all these young guys the ropes.

So if Diaw were part of a package for an already established NBA player at a position of need for us, then you'd at least have to consider it. But for a draft pick and yet another completely unproven player, I wouldn't do it.

I've liked Diaw since his first season. Sure, he needs to be more aggressive on offense but he still handles the ball really well and is good defensively. If he does become even a little more aggressive he could be a very good player, even our sixth man. He showed that he can score in a couple of games this season. Hopefully Woodson can "pry" that scoring mentality out of him in the summer league. I'd really like to see him be here long term backing up Chillz.