• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Summer League Roster Looks Nice

DawsonsCreek

I dont know about you guys but im excited about this years Summer League Team. I think the sleeper is Sharrod Ford. That guy did so well in the ACC for years, on a bad team. I think if Atlanta gives him a fair shot, he will make the team. I just hope the Hawks don't screw up (if he does well), like they did with Haslem a few years ago. Randolph Morris's play is gonna be interesting to watch. I think hes one piece at the Center position and hopefully we can add the other through free agency. Do you guys think there is enough room on this team for both Royal and Rashad? I wouldnt be suprised if 3-4 players(that are not already on the regular season roster) make the regular season hawks squad.

The popular theory was that Pete Babcock blew it on Udonis Haslem after UD showed pretty well for Lon Kruger during Summer League.

The fact was that the Hawks tried to guarantee Haslem a slot on the actual training camp roster, but UD had already taken a 500K offer overseas instead, all without contacting the Hawks to give them a chance to make it a better deal.

Now remember, while Haslem looked good during the summer, it wasn't like he was a hot property then. He signed overseas before ANY other NBA team was given a shot to lock him down.

Babcock said that Haslem's agent told Pete that he "had to take the guarantee." Sounds like Haslem and his agent didn't feel too confident that UD would make a team if they grabbed a relatively low offer overseason very early in the process. They didn't want to take a chance, even if it meant waiting until October to see if the Hawks, or any other team that would have seen Haslem play in the Hawks training camp.

So Babcock tried to get UD in here beyond the frame of summer league, but he took a low, but guaranteed offer overseas without allowing the Hawks, or anyone, to match or do better. By the time UD was ready to come back, the Hawks were even worse and the Heat had taken notice.

• Premium Member

Nice to hear from you again Jay. You are correct in the fact that Haslem chose his own path. If I remember correctly, he elected to go overseas rather than take the Hawks' offer. I don't mean to jump off topic here, but where have been? Are you still affiliated with the Hawks? Any news on possible free agents coming to Atlanta?

I see. And your right about he wasn't a hot commodity. At the same time, the man was doin so well(even i could see that from my living room) and I think the hawks should have had the mindframe of high risk/high reward. And sure its easy to say that now that hes doin well in the league. I think bottom line is if you like what you see, you have to find a way to acquire it. So yeah Haslem didnt give them a chance to match, but at the same time he was in Hawks camp for a adequite amount of time for them to work SOMETHING out. I just dont want to see that happen again. Thanks for posting Jay and we missed your coverage during Hawks draft workouts.

I've landed somewhat on my feet here in Orlando, scoring a nice job with a software company. Thanks for the warm welcome backs.

I only am associated with the Hawks through my contacts there, who still keep in touch and I with them. They have always been quality people, the type that are more than worth keeping track of, even away from the game.

I did know that it would have taken a motherload of stuff from another team to deal the #2 pick, none of the deals mentioned were even close, a fact that is validated by the lack of ridiculous "almost happened" non-trade rumors after the draft.

I have no clue about free agency, just the same shot in the dark stuff that everyone here engages in...it's refreshing, really, to be back to pure speculation...

I will try and post from time to time, when the occasion for comment arises...Everyone here does a real good job of hashing out the angles here...so there really isn't any need for having a bunch of "Me, too" posts from myself.

Now let's go Hawks...