• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Dalembert & the luxury tax...

mrhonline

• Premium Member

It's a hypothetical situation, but I was playing with some numbers and what would happen to the Sixers if Dalembert got a max offer sheet from Atlanta.

Philly, after re-signing Korver and Green, is right at the cusp of the luxury tax. They will be over the luxury tax for at least the next three seasons if they match an offer to Sammy D.

Since the luxury tax is a dollar-for-dollar tax, basically every penny they agree to pay Dalembert will be doubled. So, what is a 5 year, $70M max deal on paper, could actually be the following:

Year 1: $25M (doubled by tax)

Year 2: $27M (doubled by tax)

Year 3: $29M (doubled by tax)

Year 4: $15.5M

Year 5: $16.5M

That means that Dalembert will cost them such extra $40M over the next three seasons if matched at a max offer sheet. Waiving McKie would save them about half of that, but doing so hurts their playoff chances.

In other words, Philly better be a top team in the East next year or what out for the firesale. It's no wonder they're low-balling Dalembert.

Good points.

But people need to stop talking "max" about Dalembert.

He's not getting a Max offer from Philly or from us. He's not worth that much.

Read the Philly boards. They think he's worth a little more than Gadz 36 mil. The Philly fans would pay him $50 for 6, but they would swallow hard at that number. I think if we offer $50 mil for 5, they will still match.

I think we can have him for $60 for 5. But is he worth that much?

It's interesting to compare the Philly and Chicago boards. The Philly folks have plenty of bad things to say about Dally, though they admit they need him and there just aren't other bigs around. But they don't love him. In Chitown, on the other hand, their posters are concerned that Curry might get away.

Based on the knowledge of these fans, I think Curry should be our choice, provided some type of insurance is available.

• Premium Member

Quote:

It's interesting to compare the Philly and Chicago boards. The Philly folks have plenty of bad things to say about Dally, though they admit they need him and there just aren't other bigs around. But they don't love him. In Chitown, on the other hand, their posters are concerned that Curry might get away.

Based on the knowledge of these fans, I think Curry should be our choice, provided some type of insurance is available.

I don't think you've read enough Bulls' fans. They've put up with Curry's work ethic for four years and many have grown tired of him. However, in both cases, neither team has a replacement, so I'm sure that's the cause for some anxiety.

Anyway, I agree the max is overpaying for Dalembert, but it's going to take close to that to get him from Philly without a S&T.

• Premium Member

It's very difficult to figure out how much Dalembert will be worth to US? We are a team without a C. I say it depends on if we get JJ.

If we get JJ and don't spend 20 million to get him... I think what we will have is about a deal of 5 yr 60 left in us for another FA.

The question is should it be Dalembert?

I think Sammy is a good player and I think he's a great match to us defensively... However, that's a lot of money for him.

I would first try a lesser offer for Hunter/Zsazsa.

Hell, I would exhaust all my efforts to get Magloire.

But if we could get JJ and Dalembert is avialable, I think you got to take him too!

Dally/Al/Smoove/Chillz/JJ

That team can try... and probably will make the playoffs!

• Premium Member

Assuming 5 years, $60M is the offer:

I added up the Sixers' salaries for the next three years (excluding TMac and Mashburn), waived McKie under the Allan Houston rule, matched Daly's contract, and filled the rest of the roster (14 players) with minimum players.

Here's how much the Sixers' roster will cost them the next three years (incl. the luxury tax):

2005-6: $73.7M

2006-7: $82.6M

2007-8: $85.3M

And that's for a team whose two best players are a year older and one that has virtually no chance of getting past the first round of the playoffs (no McKie and their only pick should be in the NBDL).

Now I know that Comcast is willing to spend some $, but is the current Sixers' squad worth it? They can't really rebuild unless they trade Iverson for expiring contracts and IIRC they're missing a draft pick one of the next two years.

Wouldn't that be funny, if Atlanta makes offers to JJ and Daly and then next summer both Marion and Iverson get traded. wink.gif

• Premium Member

I too believe that Philly will be spending more with the same losing team and they will regret it, but the truth of the matter is that Philly can always trade.

Even if it's just for an ending contract and draft picks.

What B. King is probably not willing to do is to allow talent to leave with nothing in return.

I have read some rumors... Like Magloire for Al/Chillz... But I think B. Knight won't have anything to do with such a deal and really, we're not that desperate.

A 3 yr 20 million dollar deal to Hunter should get him on board.

• Premium Member

Quote:

but the truth of the matter is that Philly can always trade. Even if it's just for an ending contract and draft picks.

There's no trade that will get them under the cap the next three seasons (no one will trade for Webber).

Unless they don't match Daly's contract and trade Iverson for picks+expirings.

Quote:

Philly fans are never really happy with anybody. Not even Santa Claus.

On a side note. How must Allen Houston feel to have a rule like that named after him. I'd be pissed.

• Premium Member

I agree that Chris Webber may not be traded (unless it's a playoff team who really believes he is the answer)... However, Iverson still holds some trade value. With Iguodala on the team, the team finally has somebody that they can point to and say.. He can replace Iverson. Then there's also Dally himself.

I dont know if this is true or not, but I heard the highest deal for Hunter so far averages 3 mil a year. We could probably offer 3 yrs 15 mil and get him. He's a legit 7 footer who can run the floor and is athletic. He blocks shots really well, and would make an incredible backup if we did get Dally or Curry, and an ok starter if we dont (for us). ZaZa would also only cost us a bit over the MLE. I guess it just depends on what BK is willing to spend.

• Premium Member

You say that BK will offer Dalembert the Max? I doubt it.

I say that because last year, we were in this same position and Dampiere came across our radar and BK didn't offer him the max.

Yes Damp was a bit older than Dalembert, but at the time Damp was a legit 20/13 Center.. Dally has not come close.

In short, I think BK is more tight than Desperate.

In addition, he put these numbers up in a contract year. His career averages are 9 / 7. BK had to be taking that into consideration and also that this guy was 30 years of age. Daly is much younger than that with potential to improve, he is much more athletic, fitting our system better. I think Daly MIGHT be worth the max to BK in actuality.

Daly's career averages is 7/7 ( 6.9/6.6/1.7blk in 22 mpg) while Dampier's are 9/7 ( 8.9/7.4/1.5blk in 26 mpg). Damp turned 30 this year, and Daly turned 24 this year.

So what is Daly worth ? I say he is worth the max in this league the way the market is for centers.

• Premium Member

It seemed much higher.

He put up some good numbers in his contract year... Dally's numbers don't seem to be much better. So the question is will BK fork out a max contract for Dally when he didn't fork out one for Damp?

Dampiers not the same player that Dalembert is or will become. Dalembert attacks the basketball, thirsty for blocks, and is a monster on the boards. I'd like to know how many times Dalembert was called for goal tending, because it did happen often, because he wants blocks like a mad man. The kid is good, we need him, and it will take a max to land him.

Don't be suprised, if a max is offer, but give me more feedback instead of trying to compare him to Dampier. Dampier just isn't even on the same level as a defender.

Look at both last seasons stats and their career stats for points, rebs and blocks. They are eerily similar.

Damp averaged a little over 9 ppg, about 8.5 rbg and a little less than 1.5 bpg last year in roughly 27 mpg. Dalembert averaged a little over 8 ppg, about 7.5 rbg and a little over 1.5 bpg in roughly 25 mpg last year. That being said, many called Damp a mini-bust in Dallas but he actually but up at least equal numbers to a guy that many here want to give a max contract!

When Damp got roughly 32 mpg with GS in 03/04, he put up roughly 12/12/2 for the season. If we could get that out of Dalembert for a season, I'd be THRILLED because I'm not convinced he will ever duplicate numbers like that for a whole season.

Damp did that in his prime, at 28 years of age. Daly just turned 24 a couple months ago. I think that Daly being 'eerily similar' to Dampier doesn't go far beyond statistics to this point. There is no match as far as athleticism and potential goes. Dampier is almost like a big stiff out there, Daly can move around....Another thing you're forgetting. AI. The presence of AI on a team is a detriment to the offensive game of everyone of his teammates. Who knows what Daly can do if he is more involved on the offensive end. You saw what happened to Webber when he got moved to Philly..only 16/8. I think he was still capable of putting up 20/10 on any team that didn't have AI or another offensive black hole on the team.