• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks Notebook 8/27/02

jaywalker72

The slow period has arrived for Hawks fans everywhere, but there are still a few issues before the Hawks head to camp in October.

When do the Hawks have to pick up the fourth year of DerMarr Johnson's contract?

How are the Ira Newble negotiations going?

Why wasn't Kevin Willis signed in Atlanta instead of San Antonio?

What about a contract extension for Jason Terry?

These answers are in the lastest installment of the Hawks Offseason Notebook...

Read the entire article:

http://hawks.realgm.com/index.php

I agree with JT not getting his extension until he shows he can do what he did in the 2nd half of last year for a full season + postseason.

If we try to get a bargain on him and extend him now, and he doesn't produce like he did last half season at PG, then we're screwed with another bad contract whose a undersize SG with not much trade value.

And everyone knows we got too many bad contracts.

I disagree Tomahawkchop, JT can play. Whether you put him at the point or shooting guard, he is an effective player. I can clearly remember sitting behing the Golden State Warriors Team Staff last year, when they came to Atlanta. They constantly kept talking about JT and his play. He was the only Hawks Player that they talked about. One time they said, "he's a good little ball player". This was after JT stole the ball and drove to the other end with a contested layup that he made. Your PG to me is basically the guy that dribbles the ball up court. When you get into your half court offense set, there is usually less than 20 seconds to get something established. Once this has happens, it's usually 5 guys out there trying to get an open shot off, and as close as possible. Where you designated guys at positions, becomes pretty much irrelevant, especially the guards on the team. As long as JT is one of our top 5 players on our team, I for one want to keep him. So if you think JT is one of the top 5 guys, and can't see no one taking him out of the top 5 anytime soon, we need to lock him up. Only injuries would make his deal a bad one, and no way we can see into the future. Matter of fact, considering his frame, he has stood up well to the rigors of the NBA.