• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Someone please tell me???

NYHawk

Why does everyone think JJ can play point. Has he ever done this, does he have PG ball handling skills?

If he was such a good point why did PHX sign Nash instead of making a run at Kobe. Something isn't adding up.

We still need a traditional PG as bak up, who is likely and available?

I would have loved Bobby Jackson.

Is white chocalete a possibility?

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

• Premium Member

I think BK and KB are the only 2 who believes that JJ is a PG.

I think JJ is alot like Diaw. He can handle the ball and bring it up... But I don't think he can run an offense and I don't know what will happen when those quick PGs start taking him to task..

A word about big PGs vs. Quick PGs.

One year, Jordan tried to play PG. He did well against Mark Jackson's and other slower taller PGs. Then he went out west... Jon Stockton and Gary Payton tore him a new ass... Stockton had so many steals and dimes and points that it was amazing. Then when Jordan came back East, Mookie was waiting for him...

Now.. Magic was Magic and there probably won't be another. But when you start getting these big guys playing PG, the smaller, faster guys start grinning. I just think that we shouldn't base everything on the ability to play Parker. I think there are much faster guys than Parker.. Like B-Diddy, JT, Paul, and so on...

It's that kind of thinking that keeps people that have no vision from playing those bigger guys at the point guard position. You probably think Penny Hardaway wasn't a good point guard either.

Joe Johnson can stop Tony Parker, and there isn't anyone in the league who is quicker with the ball in his hands than Tony Parker. Not Mike Bibby. Not Chris Paul. Not Jason Terry.

As I have said before, Johnson is going to make people think of Penny Hardaway in his heyday.

This is really BS....

"I don't know what will happen when those quick PGs start taking him to task"

There have been plenty of what we consider top PGs who couldn't guard quick PGs...so what is the difference...hell JT was quick as hell but he can't guard me....Nash can't guard people either.....Chris Paul can't guard people...Baron Davis is an average defender ...Steve Francis...average defender...Mike Bibby....average defender..

This is really a non issue....JJ's length will give PGs problems...because even when they get by him they are really not by him....because he has quick feet and will be tough to finish against or lose completely... he has shown this numerous times.

Not an issue...however he is such a good jump shooter...that small PGs won't be able to bother his shot....meaning he will probably be guarded by 2s and PGs will try and guard Chillz.

We need some big men NOW!

he has done it before...after marbs was traded he averaged about 19/5/5 at pg

he's kept his pg opps to a per (48min not game also) of 12.5 in both years he's played pg (only played 1% of pg mins last year tho)

so the answer is, yes he can play pg...but the jury is still out on how effective he can be as a full-time 30mpg starting pg...if he can lead his teams to wins or not...that remains to be seen

if he can't, then we can have him play sg, chill play sg/sf, smoove play sf/pf, al play pf, and marvin play sf/pf and they can all still get 30mpg (10mpg to johnson at pg instead of a full-time role or 20mpg for marvin for now)

so it doesn't create a logjam even if he can't play pg for long stretches

jj/chill/smoove/al/center should be our starting lineup to start the season unless al gets traded for mags/nene/curry

• Premium Member

So in other words..

It's the Hell with defense and to hell with offensive continuity... Let's just put our best 5 on the floor!

Damn Swole.. You play too much playstation!

There are positions in basketball for a reason. Too bad it that reason will cause JChill to be on the bench by Jan!

• Premium Member

First off, teams won't match their points on JJ. JJ will see defense from a lot of 2s...

The real question is will JJ be able to give us some continuity in the offense??

It's funny that Phoenix would go out and spend a MAX contract on Nash when they had JJ.....

Especially with plans to get QRich coming to fruition??

Penny was a new breed of PG that has yet to be duplicated in the NBA. As Traceman poster earlier, he was 1st team All NBA by his 2nd year. He was a great player until he got injured and was never the same again. I think that people have forgotten just how incredible Penny was in his early days. Livingston may have a shot at being what Penny once was, but thats only if he develops an offensive game.

JJ is a very good player, but he isnt anywhere near the creative playmaker that Penny back in the day was. Penny was nowhere near the shooter that JJ is either. Overall though Penny was a better player, at least at this point in their careers.

• Premium Member

Well your focus has been what offense and how he can look over PGs.. Well on Offense he will also have to be able to pass the ball to players in their spots AND to know how to read defenses and control tempo.

Defensively, he will have to be able to stop the little speedsters. I love the Hawks but I don't want to see a layup drill everynight because we can't stop the short small PGs... and I think that teams will attack us that way!

Either way, since you like Lue so much, maybe you'll see him back at the Starting PG position for a while at the cost of JC or JS!

Quote:

So in other words..

It's the Hell with defense and to hell with offensive continuity... Let's just put our best 5 on the floor!

Damn Swole.. You play too much playstation!

There are positions in basketball for a reason. Too bad it that reason will cause JChill to be on the bench by Jan!

In all honesty, defense ruins an otherwise enjoyable game of basketball.

• Premium Member

KB only sees height...

he never considers ability.

Penny was definitely different in style than JJ. For one, Penny played PG in college and was drafted as a PG.

Secondly Penny could drive and dish...

Personally, I'm hoping JJ rises to a level of Tmac rather than us trying to make him into a PG. Tmac has good ball handling skills for a 2, but they become his asset when he's playing the 2.

Although I think that it will eventually hurt Childress.. I think we play JJ at the 2 and we draft Rondo...