• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

13 Million to Go....

jaywalker72

Soooo many ways to spend 13 million, aren't there?

What would you guys do with that for the Hawks? Who would draw your attention next?

For me, I would toss it at the 2 CHI boys. Chandler first, Curry next. Both impact the game, but on different ends.

Curry is a rare big man that can score the basketball with his back to the basket, and Chandler is a plus rebounder and a plus shot blocker.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Chandler's the safer bet in terms of what he brings to this team, less likely to disrupt the flow/offense.

Curry will demand shots (as he should in many regards), but in doing so, most likely take away opportunities from guys like JSmoove, MWill, Childress...and even Johnson.

however, Curry has the abilities to be 'truly dominant' if he decides he wants to be and is on a team built for such styles of play.

The opportunity to obtain Curry will, most likely, be a one shot deal (though if nothing works out, I see a Stromile Swift type situation occuring...which might be best both for Curry and every other team in the league).

Chandler...I like. I really do. But he's not a max guy nor would I 'splurge' on him, regardless of where the team is now (this is assuming that we sign Johnson, thus he represents our 'splurge.'). Offering Chandler a contract for what he's worth (say, five years, 50-55 million) is reasonable, and probably what I'd be willing to do right now. Sure, Chicago will probably match that...but there's no harm in trying, putting the offer out there for what you think he's worth.

curry, as said...is tempting. but simply too big a risk, in terms of 'him' (heart conditions, past record of 'effort,' weight, etc.) and in terms of what he could 'cost' the team that we've already assembled here, full of youth and potential.

Let him take a one year contract and see where we are next year

• Premium Member

I would toss a few deals...

To Songalia... a 4 yr 24 million dollar deal.

To Curry a 3 yr 20 million dollar deal with a team opt after the first yr.

To Handlogten a 1 yr 1.7 million dollar deal.

To Hendu a 2 yr 3 million dollar deal with a TO after the first year.

To Deke a 2 yr 5 million dollar deal.

I think that would do us.

In Songalia.. I see a guy who really matches our team philosophy well. He's proven internationally and he's been pretty good at home. I think if the Kings get Reef, then we should make the pot sweet for Songalia. They will probably match, however, you have to try.

In Curry, I would want some just in case. I really feel that Curry is a guy trying to get over on somebody. I think he's incredibly lazy and this is before the heart trouble. Still, this would be an opportunity for him to prove himself and if he does, we can always opt him out and resign him to a longer deal.

In Handlogten, He's not great, he's not good, but he's big and serviceable.

Hendu, see Handlogten.

Deke, I still see Deke as a fringe starter which means he's a good BU. I would take him for the 2 and I would use him because he is a defensive force. I would let him retire as a Hawk if he wants to.

I actually read somewhere that the Hawks were interested in Darius Songaila. I'm not sure if the signing of Zaza would diminish the interest, and I can't remember where I read the reports of the Hawks interest in Songaila. Songaila is one of the more productive players on a per minute basis in the NBA. A very productive back up post player that has range on his shot.

• Premium Member

Quote:

I am going from Sam Smith's latest piece *though that source is dubious most of the time* and the fact that 25 million-3.5 for Zaza-8.5 for Joe would leave the Hawks with 13 million.

The Hawks don't have twelve guaranteed contracts, so they will have a cap hit of the minimum salary for each player that it takes to get to twelve.

By my count, the Hawks have $11.6M in cap to work with, with maybe a million more or so depending on other factors.

(Is Zaza's contract at 8.0% raises or flat? Will Donta and Ivey be kept? Will JJ get the *exact* max is salary?)

Why the interest in Songaila? He's listed at 6'8", 240 lbs. I think we need more of a defensive presence. Al Harrington is bigger than Songaila.

I'd love to get Dale Davis. He could be a good influence on the young guns.

What about Mikki Moore? He's 7'0", rebounds and blocks shots. Not much girth, but would come cheap.

I'd throw out a pretty big number for Chandler (a little more than Dalembert got)and force Chicago to match. I'd follow that up with an offer to Curry (assuming he checks out with our doctors of course). CHI MIGHT match both but I'm not convinced they will. I think it is worth a shot.

we bette freggin meet the minimum salary. I'm sorry, but not doing so...is pitiful and shows NO commitment to even trying to win.

Diesel~ you are correct. he's a pretty decent bu pf who plays much bigger than Al and has had some 'big moments' for the Kings over the years, in crunch time.

He'd be a nice pickup for a 'true' pf (and MAYBE occassional C, but not really) type of player.

currently, we have NO true PF type of player.

I know squat about Zaza...but people talk like he can play some C. If so, he and Songalia won't 'interupt' each other much and would thereby be a good pickup.

I believe we have a bit more than $13 million (around $14.5 million after sending Diaw to Phoenix for JJ). Assuming we care to spend the entire $14.5 million this year . . .

1) Offer Eddy Curry a six-year deal (hear me out!) starting at $8 million. He can opt out at the end of each year, starting after the third year, but we get to match any offer he receives (this gives him the opportunity to get a better deal if he plays through the roof early in his contract and obviously doesn't have any heart problems). We can opt out each year after the fourth year (so if he isn't "all that" or does have heart problems, we are only on the hook for around $35 million over four years). This is likely what it would take for Chicago not to match (I don't wish to have to do a SNT with Al Harrington to get Curry).

2) Sign Deke (or someone similar) to a one-year contract for $2 million.

3) SNT Al Harrington and Tony Delk to Orlando for Steve Francis (We'd be trading $10.5 mil for $13.5 mil for a net additional obligation of $3 million)). Yes, I know Stevie "Franchise" has his attitude problems, but if he was "controllable" we'd be a pretty dangerous team.

4) Sign Donte, Ivey, and Salim for around $500k each.

Starting five:

ZaZa - PF (32 minutes)

Curry - Center (32 minutes)

Josh Smith - SF (16 minutes, 16 minutes PF)

JJ - SG (16 minutes, 16 minutes PG)

Francis - PG (32 minutes)

Bench:

Childress - SG (32 minutes)

Marvin Williams - SF (32 minutes)

Deke - C (16 minutes)

Donte, Ivey, Collier, Salim - mop up duty (though Salim could be a nice "spark" from time to time)

This team could SCORE, rebound above average, steal some balls, pass quite well, run or post-up, block a bunch of shots, play above average defense at most positions.

I'd take my chances with some of these offers and decisions, since next year will not likely provide any significant upgrades via draft or likely-to-get free agents.

Just my thoughts . . .