13 Million to Go....

jaywalker72

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Premium Member

(BTW, if anyone knows how to convert an Excel spreadsheet to html, I'll post the Hawks' salary info as best I could find).

2005-6 salaries

1. Johnson, $12.01M

2. Harrington, $6.88M

3. Pachulia, $4.00M ***

4. Williams, $3.88M

5. Delk, $3.38M

6. Childress, $2.68M

7. Collier, $1.65M

8. J. Smith, $1.37M

9. D. Smith, $0.64M

10. Ivey, $0.64M

11. Stoudamire, $0.40M

12. Player #12, $0.40M

Total, $37.93M

Cap Space Available, $11.57M

***I'm assuming Zaza's contract is flat (no raises), but if it's not, then the Hawks have another $0.43M to spend ($12M total).***

Also, if the JJ trade goes through, the Hawks have $27M committed going into the 2006 offseason and $28M to the 2007 offseason.

I really hope the Hawks can get Curry for a 2 or 3 year deal, I would be scared to give him a long term contract obviously because of his heart problems, but he is a solid starting center which the Hawks desperately need. I think he could put up 17/7 this year.

JJ/Lue/Salim

Chill/Salim/JJ

Smoove/Marvin/Donta

Al/Pachulia/Smoove

Curry/Pachulia

I think that lineup could actually make a run at the playoffs, that team is head and shoulders better than the team last year, and the Hawks were in a lot of games last year they ended up losing so i could definitely see them making a huge turn around

• Premium Member

Quote:

H the minimum salary changed. It is under III part E:

http://www.draftexpress.com/viewarticle.php?a=1065

So the salary cap hits are more. Come to think of it, actually the salary cap hits for Donta, Royal, and Salim will be the minimum (720,000) for each of them so we have under 11 million in cap space.

Yeah, you're right. That means an additional one million less in cap space...

If the JJ deals go through with no snags, we need to look at signing Curry. Even with Zaza we will need more big bodies. We essentially only have 1 Center who is really a Power Forward. We will not win many games with an interior like what we presently have.

A healthy Curry will immediately legitimize our middle, especially offensively and will open up this offense. You can even play Curry and Zaza at the same time.

We need to get Curry at a reasonable deal!!!

zaza is not essentially a pf

he played center 80% of his minutes last year and was in every bucks 'most used' lineup, at center in 9 of the 10

also, if he was a true pf, the bucks woulda matched this low offer...but since they have bogut/gad at c and don't think zaza can play pf as effectively as c, they opted to not match

zaza may play spot mins at pf, but he's a center through and through

I guess the question is, why haven't we pursued Curry yet? It seems like he should have an offer sheet by now. I guess it's one of 3 reasons:

1- BK and co. are no longer interested

2- They didn't want to try to do another deal because things were going so bad

3- We wanted to wait as long as possible, to get him as cheap as possible

Hopefully it's 2 or 3, but I doubt it. Either way, we really need Curry here. It's like people here don't remember how badly not having a center hurt us last year, or didn't realize it. Zaza is not a solution. He will help, but he shouldn't be a starting center at this point of his career. Getting curry would get every one else on the team easier shots.

For one.....The Hawks were not pleased with Curry when he came to visit b/c he split with his girlfriend to go back to Chicago and attend a wedding shower.

So, the commitment and lack of respect to cut the visit short for a very insignificant reason really turned them off apparently...

Second.....isn't part of the deal for Joe Johnson that we are going to pay him $20 million in the first year?

I keep seeing all these quotes of $11-12 million as the hit to the cap space....and I do not think that is accurate.

First, yeah there were reports that we didn't like Curry's early departure, but who knows if that's accurate. Our camp is tight lipped. They might say that in hopes of signing him cheaper later

Second, cap hit and salary are not the same on a frontloaded contract. We will be paying him 20+ mil, but he will only take 11-12 mil of our cap space. For years 2-5, his cap hit will be bigger than his actual salary

To suggest that Curry is miles ahead of anything we had last year as an interior player is absurd. He plays D and rebounds as well as anyone we had last year, and his offense is so far ahead is ridiculous. It's like you guys don't remember that we had COLLIER AND EKEZIE.

am i?

they are all better rebounders than curry

collier/drobs forced more t/os by their opps than curry

curry's opps had only slightly lower efg than collier/drobs' opps, but he also had chandler there to help him

it's basically a wash between the 4 of them for rebounding/defense...and all 4 of them are PATHETIC at def/reb for centers