• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

3 Offers on the Table?

NickJYD

• Premium Member

Quote:

I know they signed Williams.

http://www.nba.com/hawks/news/Hawks_Sign_M...ams_071305.html

I don't think they've signed Salim yet. I hope we don't mess around with him and do a one year deal. I hope we lock him up for 3 or 4 years. We should be able to do that pretty cheaply.

If they signed Ivey and Donta to three-year deals, I'm sure they'll sign Salim to one.

• Premium Member

He's a veteran who can score coming off the bench. The Hawks should be able to get either a 2nd rounder or a mediocre big man for him.

I'd be fine with the 2nd rounder because it gives the Hawks more flexibility to sign free agents under the budget.

I wouldn't mind hanging onto Delk for depth purposes- we still need players. I'd rather see that than see a bad or unneccesary trade. So unless someone is prepared to give us something we really need or want, I'd just as soon hang on to Delk at least till the season is underway- then see what happens then.

• Premium Member

Quote:

I wouldn't mind hanging onto Delk for depth purposes- we still need players. I'd rather see that than see a bad or unneccesary trade. So unless someone is prepared to give us something we really need or want, I'd just as soon hang on to Delk at least till the season is underway- then see what happens then.

Personally, I'd rather see Salim get his minutes and grow as a player. Between JJ, Childress, and Lue, there's not enough minutes for both Delk and Salim to be productive.

Nothing against Delk, it's just that Salim should prove just as valuable in the short-term and is significantly more important in the long run.

• Admin

Lue will almost definetely be one of them.

I bet the other two are for Curry in some SnT with Harrington (don't know if I am happy about that or not)

and the other will be for a bruising big man to back up Smith or Marvin (whoever get the PF starting job after Al is traded). Someone like Reggie Evans. I would love to have a guy like him on our team.

• Premium Member

Quote:

I bet the other two are for Curry in some SnT with Harrington (don't know if I am happy about that or not)

FYI, the only way that trade works under the CBA is if Curry gets at least $11M as his first-year salary. Curry will be BYC meaning that only 50% of his salary will count for trading purposes.

If the Hawks want Curry at a lesser salary, it will have to be something like: Piatkowski + Curry -for- Harrington + Ivey/Donta.

• Premium Member

First, because he's redundant and won't be happy sitting on the bench. It's a similar situation to Jon Barry last year.

(You could hold onto Delk until the trading deadline, though).

Second, because I don't think the Hawks are going to spend up to the cap. There are legitimate holes on this team and if you can free up three million to fill those holes by trading from a surplus, you do it.

• Premium Member

Both reasons are flawed.

I think you have to consider our youth... We have plenty of time for Delk to play. He can be a backup at the 1 or the 2 depending on how we use that. I think it would be easy to break up 96 minutes between JJ, JC, Delk, Lue, and Ivey...

The second reason is flawed also. It actually makes very little sense. This is not last year when we had limited money and limited roster space.

Right now, we have about 11 people who are on the roster (after the JJ trade).. That means that somewhere we will need to find 3 more people. Easier said than done really. I am really believing that Arthur Johnson may Stick!

But of the 11, it's still possible that Ivey/Donta find themselves in the developmental league.

That means that the true spots that are filled are:

JJ, Pachulia, Al, JS, JC, MW, Salim, Collier, and Delk...

These 9 are it. And Collier is expendable. But this is it.

What we may do is keep all 11.

Sign Lue.

Sign A briuser like Diop or a guy like Songalia.

Then Sign a project big like Johnson.

And that can be our squad until we find a real Big man. Cost are kept reasonable. We have players that can be sent down. We have players who we can cut and eat their contracts if we need space. But Delk is a 10 ppger who will do just fine off the bench.

again, damn, and it's not even a full moon day...I primarily agree with Diesel on one condition:

Delk is ok coming off the bench, being a 'team player,' and sometimes 'taking the back seat/not pllaying in order to give more time to the young guys (this applies especially in the late 2nd/ early third/ occassional 4th quarters where we have to play our youngens sometimes...at a risk of them screwing up/ hurting the outcome of the game, simply to give them experience).

is Delk expendable to this team? yes.

has he shown to be a cancer in the past (not in any way that I know of).

Thereby...we outta hold on to him, especially until we find out exactly what we can expect from Salim/JJ;

there's simply no point in trading him right now...and potential huge losses if we do (if not for the right deal).

• Premium Member

Definitely...

I think that the development of our young players, JC specifically is the most important thing about this season. Let's face the truth.. We may strive for it, but we're not winning the NBA championship this year. However, what we are doing is that we're building a franchise that can contend for several years.

So, I won't risk JC's development over playing Delk.. BUT... that doesn't mean that we don't need a steady vet presence in the game from time to time. You don't just throw youth on the court and expect that they will perform. ONLY James and Jordan and Johnson have been able to do that and all of those guys have Glaring flaws to their games in their rookie year.

For the same reason, I think we keep Al until prolly next season. I think that JJ will need Real Help... That may be more important to the franchise than getting MWill on the floor! We have transitioned into a FA seeking team. In order to do that, we have to put JJ in his best light. That can't be done with a cast of 1st and 2nd year players who only show flashes!

• Premium Member

Quote:

BUT... that doesn't mean that we don't need a steady vet presence in the game from time to time. You don't just throw youth on the court and expect that they will perform.

And those veterans are Joe Johnson and Tyronn Lue. Was I unclear about that?

Again, between Lue, Childress, and JJ, you don't have enough minutes for both Salim and Delk. Why sit a four-year college player on the bench for a journeyman like Delk who offers nothing that's not already offered by others in the rotation?

Outside shooting = Salim, JJ

Leadership = JJ, Lue

If trading Delk allows the Hawks to sign Songaila or Evans, isn't that worth the risk?