• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Diesel's Top 10 Trades since 2000.

Diesel

• Premium Member

1. Jason Kidd for Stephon Marbury. (Adv. NJ)+ This has to be the biggest trade ever. NJ did a marvelous job of trading a good player for a better player.

2. Deke, RoMac for Theo, Kukoc, Nazr, and Pepe. (Adv. Philly) Philly found itself in the finals after the trade. Theo has only played 4 games. Those who said that Philly were screwed didn't realize that Philly wouldn't have gone anywhere had they kept Theo.

3. Brand for Chandler (Adv. LAC for Now). It was obvious that Chicago was rebuilding. They gave up a solid 20/10 player for a HSer. However, Chandler shows in his first yr that he has great potential. Chandler may be better than KG one day... Or he may be another Dontonio Wingfield. Who Knows.

4. Howard and Filler for Van Exel and Lafrentz (Adv. Dallas). What was Denver thinking? Dallas gives up 20 million dollars and mediocre PF play and in return they get 2 very good players.

5. Jason Williams for Mike Bibby. (Adv Sactown). Sacramento gave up a Hotdog and got back Prime Rib. Williams will probably fluorish with age and more talent around him but for the time being, Bibby has become the man that everyone thought he would be.

6. Steve Francis for Dickerson, Price, Picks. (Adv. Houston). What would have happened if it would have been: Francis, SAR, Battier, and etc...

7. SAR for Gasol, Lo, BK (even for now). IF Gasol proves to be any better than he is, then Memphis gets the better of this trade. The point was that SAR was a proven talent and now ALLSTAR. Gasol was a Guess.

8. Mashburn for Jones. (even for now). Mash has shown that he was stiffled in Riley's system. Jones has shown that he wasn't the man that he was in Charlotte.

9. Rose/Best for Artest/Mercer/Ollie/Miller (adv. Indy). I really like the Bulls getting Rose but I give the nod to Indy because Miller is exactly what they needed. But to get Artest on top of that gives them a player who can play SF/PF and bring good perimeter defense. And Ollie was even a good player for Indy. Rose (if he stays) can be a part of a great team once Williams, Erob, Chandler, and Curry learn to play the game.

10. Smith for Anderson (adv. San Antonio) How could San Antonio have possibly got the better of this deal? welp, Smith will be a FA after this yr. There was no way that Anderson would have taken a short deal. Also, Smith was the best 3 pt shooter last yr. San Antonio has set up to have Smith, Duncan, and Robinson as free agents at the same time. Their rebuilding will be accompanied by having a Lot of MONEY. Parker+ Duncan + Oneal could be a scary possibility.

Next yr, expect one of these trades to be in the mix:

Big Dog for Toni.

McDyess for Rookies.

Deke for Van Horn/Tmac.

or whatever new trades come along.

7. SAR for Gasol, Lo, BK (even for now). IF Gasol proves to be any better than he is, then Memphis gets the better of this trade. The point was that SAR was a proven talent and now ALLSTAR. Gasol was a Guess."

It's called instincts and Babs has had a terrible one

over the years.It wasn't really a guess if Babs could

spot talent which of course he couldn't so that lead

to us bringing in Billy Knight.

We gave up too much for Shareef when you look at

all the things it costs us....How much did we improve

in the wins?7 and that wasn't because of Reef anyways

cause had we left JT at SG the intire year we wouldn't

even matched the 25 games we won the year before

lost.

Didn't Memphis have their highest win total ever with

out Michael Dickerson and a injuried Jwill some of the

year???In Gasols rookie season he accomplished more

than Reef did 5years there...OUCH!

Funny we did this trade to get a"proven"player but we

still aren't in the playoffs.

• Admin

On your #2 I will give you advantage to the Sixers. Deke did help them to the finals that year. However, longterm I think the advantage will fall to us if Theo is able to stay healthy. The sixers have not done anything since then and Deke has since been traded.

First of all, Shareef is the better player of the two. He has better stats, and in the head to head matchups he dominated Gasol (22pts to 6pts, and 23pts to 12pts). This may not be true 2-3 years down the road. However, like Babcock said when he made the trade, if he drafted someone instead of trading, in 3-4 years, he would want him to be a player like Shareef, but why wait when you can get the real thing.

Secondly, the Grizzlies did not have a franchise high win total last year. They won 23 games, like they did the year before, and the year before that they won 22. The Hawks improved 7 games, DESPITE having traded Defensive Player of the Year Dikembe away for an injured Ratliff (who barely played). I would have to say that Shareef made a difference there.

I am not saying that Gasol is bad by any means. He is an excellent player, he won ROY, and did that while being extremely young. I have no doubt in my mind that one year he will be an allstar, but do you have the patience to wait until then? Most hawks fans wouldn't, coming off a couple of losing seasons.

People keep pointing out that Theo hasn't really played for us yet and use that to taint the Philly trade...well let's not forget that Lo was injured most of last year...you gotta take that into consideration as well.

• Premium Member

No actually, the SAR trade was Smart for us.

With an aging Kukoc. An Ailing Theo. and the rest of the roster being Young players and Rookies, it was Smart to get a vet player that has allstar potential rather than take a guess (rather instincts or not) on a player. Gasol had never been seen playing against competition. That's similar to proclaiming that Yao Ming will be very good based on Instincts. Sometimes Instincts allows you to call Roy Marble the next Jordan. Sometimes Instincts make you believe that Cal Bowdler is worthy of a first round pick.

• Admin

Larry did tinker too much but if we had stayed injury free we could have went to the playoffs last season. The Deke/Theo trade helped us also get a quality backup center and now and all star small forward.

We got rid of Deke at the time because his contract was too much and his value was still high. All the Sixers got for him was KVH who is decent but not even as good as the Big Dog. I believe the long term it will be our advantage...Much younger all star center, all star forward and a good backup center. We'll find out this year/

Yeah we are smart alright we traded for a

non superstar with a 12 million contract

that couldn't get us to the playoffs in the

weak eastern conference.Smart trade...that's

why we are still losing and have very few

players for the future....right?That's why

Pau will be better than Reef at the end of

the year.

The Kings and Mavs seem to do a damn good

job of scouting but we never do.Our front

office wouldn't realize talent if it hit them

right in the face.We cut good role players

like Jon Barry and Scot Pollard and gave guys

like Chris Crawford a bloated contract.Good

front office I tell ya....really smart.

"Gasol had never been seen playing against competition."

Well Memphis instincts seem to pay off and so

did the Mavs with Dirk didn't they?It's about

scouting talent and we are unable to do such

things.We cut good role players to have CHris

Crawfords and Alan Hendersons bloated contracts.

Our front office blows.