• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Alex Gibbs and his cheap shot blocking techniques

KB21

I'm saying that no other OL outside the Alex Gibbs umbrella teaches his players to cut and chop block.

Hudson Houck certainly doesn't do it. Hudson Houck teaches leverage, hand placement, and technique. You won't see any Miami offensive linemen cutting the backs of defenders knees or leg whipping like Gibbs's linemen do.

"A defender can do nothing if he's on the ground" that's Gibbs' Basic principal. So he wants smaller quicker Linemen that can get down and cut those D-Linemen off of their feet. Sometimes things can happen that make it seem like Gibbs is teaching dirty techniques...What you don't understand is every NFL coach comes under review for the teaching styles and principals.

No way he could stay in coaching as long as he has teaching illegal blocking techniques.

It's football. People get hurt. It's part of the game. I'm all for stoping the "dirty" or "illegal" play but, that's from indiviual players who make a decision to do something illlegal or test the limits of what is considerd legal.

I speak from lots of experience man...I know. You sound like the Jeff Fisher...Crying about something that's not going to change.

• Moderators

Pretty much all teams cut block. They just don't do it as extensively as the Falcons or Broncos or gear their offense around it. However, until cut blocking is illegal (like chop blocking is), then I don't blame teams for utilizing the technique. That is like blaming teams for hitting a punt returner when that was legal.

Exactly, the scheme calls for certain kind of linemen...Smaller, quicker, more ahtletic.

It's all about philosophy....some teams want the 310 plus linemen for their running game and because they want to maul people.

Gibbs, likes to get the the D-Linemen on the ground and create cut-back lanes for the backs.

Finally, someone that may understand where the "real" football game is played...THE TRENCHES BABY!

Oh, I know what trench play in football is. I also know that resorting to cutting the knees of a player, especially in the way that Kevin Vickerson was cut, is a chicken [censored] move by a bunch of linemen that shouldn't be in the NFL.

Real linemen don't cut block. Only a bunch of pussies like the Falcons' and Broncos' OL cut block.

Let it go dude.....comments like that let me know that you don't know anything about being in the trenches at all.

Not saying that block was right...And, as a former professional D-Linemen I hated the cut blocks as well. It really forced me to utilize more discipline and pin-point technique or I'd get hurt.

I also know that there' lots of back and forth going on down there and alot of times the guy that gets caught is the 2nd guy.

Unless you've played down there on the major college level or professional level. I wouldn't keep making comments about the trenches because you just have no idea!

You said:

Quote:

Real linemen don't cut block. Only a bunch of pussies like the Falcons' and Broncos' OL cut block.

That is simply not true. First of all, EVERY team uses cut blocks on some plays, they just don't use it as a basic staple of their offenses like the Falcons and Broncos do. Second, "pussies?" The Falcons' offensive lineman are simply doing what they are being coached to do. Kynan Forney is as tough as any offensive lineman in the league and I certainly don't think anyone would consider him to be a p*ssy.

The bottom line is that teams have been complaining to the league for YEARS about cut blocks and every year, the league rules that they are legal. If they are legal, why should the Falcons, or any other team, stop using them?

For the record, I agree that "chop blocks" should be illegal and players should be fined heavily if a player is injured as a result of an illegal chop block.

Yeah. A defensive lineman should be able to keep a guy from cutting the back of his knees, seeing as how defenisve linemen have eyes in the back of their heads and should be able to jump out of the way when they are chasing the play and the lineman is cutting them at the back of their knees.

Like I said. This is the NFL. If you have to resort to cut blocking, you don't belong in the league.

Miami's offensive line didn't cut block at all today. Oh, that's right. Hudson Houck is a real line coach. He doesn't teach his players to resort to cheap tactics.

Let it go guy...nobody is saying that a cut block from behind is cool. I certainly wouldn't say that. I think that's a cowardly act. But, I also think it's an individaul act and no coach in this league would ever teach a tactic like that. NO WAY...trust me on that.

If a player does that...it's his individual decision to do so...not coaching.

It's the NFL for goodness sake dude. Don't you understand these are the best of the best. No coach in that league, especially one that's been around as long as Alex Gibbs would be teaching illegal stff...just not gonna happen.

"It's better to be thought a fool then to open your mouth and remove all doubt."

You're outclassed in this conversati on my man...LET IT GO!