• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Update on Dermarr.. updated again

chillzatl

• Admin

I've just gotten an update on Dermarr. The latest word is that he has a neck fracture and was transfered to Grady hospital. No word on the burn situation. When I hear more I'll pass it along.

lets all keep our fingers crossed for DJ.

latest update is that it's a stress fracture. So I don't think that's as serious as it could be. Though i'm no medical expert. More when I hear it.

His family didn't say anything about burns so I don't think they were very serious.

Wow this is very serious, 2 bad news in the basketball world today. First is the serious car crach of DJ. 2nd Zo's illness might force him to retire.

I wish for the best for both of them and being a Hawks fan, I sure hope DJ can recover quick and go on his journey as the starting 2 guard for the Atlanta Hawks.

Hawks' Johnson hurt in car wreck

By TASGOLA BRUNER and JEFFREY DENBERG

Atlanta Journal-Constitution Staff Writers

The Hawks' DerMarr Johnson escaped with his life and, apparently his NBA career, Friday morning after a fiery one-car accident on Cascade Road. Johnson was diagnosed by Dr. Paul King at Atlanta Medical Center with a fracture in his sixth vertebrae.

"A fraction of an inch one way or the other, and the doctor said it would have been very bad," Hawks executive vice-president and general manager Pete Babcock said.

The third-year player, 22, may be able to leave the hospital early next week, and the anticipation is that he will be able to continue his career.

The accident occurred at around 5 a.m. today. It is not known whether Johnson was a passenger or the driver of the car. The vehicle, a newer model Mercedes, was going west on Cascade Road just west of Fairburn Road when it crossed the center line and ran into a tree, said Maj. Wenda Phifer, spokeswoman for the Fulton County Police Department.

A witness in a passing car, Ali Laila, told police she saw the car in flames and three individuals lying on the ground. She helped them and took them to get medical assistance. The car was "completely destroyed," Phifer said.

"Everyone in the car was tested. Whether or not there was alcohol involved we don't know at this point," she said.

The other two men in the car were Floyd Williams and James Richard Burnett, Phifer said. One suffered serious internal injuries, she said. The other received non-threatening injuries.

Johnson, 22, was a first-round pick of the Hawks in 2000, the sixth choice overall even though he played just one year of college basketball at Cincinnati. He played little his rookie year but began to get more playing time later in his second pro season. A 6-9 small forward, he started 46 games last year and averaged 8.4 points a game. As a rookie, Johnson started 21 games and averaged 5.1 point.

Johnson, who has been focusing on upper body strength during the off-season had just attended a three-day voluntary workout that went Tuesday through Thursday. Official training camp opens Oct. 1.

Hawks spokesman Jon Steinberg said the opening day's starting roster is determined in training camp but, ÒOn paper, he was slated to be the starter at shooting guard.Ó

UPDATE: Johnson’s condition is currently listed as stable, with a vertebral body fracture, described by Dr. Paul King, neurosurgeon at Atlanta Medical Center, as a cervical spine fracture. According to Dr. King, Johnson could be released from the hospital as early as Monday, following surgery scheduled for Friday afternoon.

According to Dr. King, the prognosis for Johnson’s long-term recovery is excellent, but in the short term, his playing status for the upcoming season is in question.

“All the signs appear to be very positive,” said Hawks VP/General Manager Pete Babcock. “There’s no paralysis and none of his functions appear to be affected at all, so that’s great news. The surgeon says the spinal fracture can be repaired.”

RealGM.

What a blow to the team, this is definitely sad news, I didnt know it was that bad. Forget him playing in the season, lets think more on how this young man will recover and will he fully recover are the questions. I sure wish the best wishes and hopefully he can overcome these injuries and he can the DJ that we always knew.