• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks Lose! :o

f_town

I know someone posted about our last game. That Yahoo's Recap mentioned Grant Hill was out, but no mention of JJ.

Same thing tonight. No Shaq, but JJ and Marv gets left off.

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) -- Gary Payton banked in a 15-footer as time expired to give the Miami Heat an 84-83 exhibition victory over the Atlanta Hawks on Monday night.

Dwyane Wade led Miami with 21 points, and Antoine Walker added 19. Heat center Shaquille O'Neal did not play because of a strained left calf.

Al Harrington and Donta Smith each scored 19 points for Atlanta.

Payton hit the winning shot after Miami grabbed two offensive rebounds.

Walker made two 3-pointers, one with 37 seconds left, to help Miami overcame a 10-point deficit in the fourth quarter.

Updated on Monday, Oct 24, 2005 11:02

Trying to get in "game" shape in the pre-season, only to

miss a couple of games with injury. This will mess up

one's timing just enough to make a difference.

Hawks had three missing. Delk, JJ and JS. Can't seem to

get everyone healthy enough. Donta Smith sure carried his

part of the load in this one. He keeps this going and he

can't go down to the Dev. League.

The first thing that jumps out at me is that we have killed our last two opponents in the 3rd quarter. That's a great sign to me since for the last few years we normally die in the third!

Someone mentioned Salim, I'm surprised how poor his statlines have been so far this preseason. He seems to be shooting 3 pointers OK til this game but his non-three shooting percentage must be below 30%.

• Premium Member

I'm really not willing to invest the floor time Salim would need to be a consistent threat. All the guys you mentioned were starters who played many minutes and don't have bad games. That's because they play all the time. Salim will have to learn to be firepower off the bench. For some, that's hard to do!

Right. Those are the reasons he won't win the scoring title this year.

You jockey yourself to put in guys that can rebound, pass, get assists, etc... However, at the end of the game it's the team that has the most points that wins. (ala Ben Gordon)

Salim is on that track. It's just a matter of time when they learn to get this guy in the game earlier. His points in the 1st Quarter, are the same as the points in the 4th Quarter.

He was no doubt a steal in the 2nd round. Now, how many times does Josh Childress name gets mentioned in the MVP talk? I think when he leads us to our 49 Win Season this year, that JC will be in the same breath as the MVP's this year! laugh.gif

Quote:

Right. Those are the reasons he won't win the scoring title this year.

You jockey yourself to put in guys that can rebound, pass, get assists, etc... However, at the end of the game it's the team that has the most points that wins. (ala Ben Gordon)

Salim is on that track. It's just a matter of time when they learn to get this guy in the game earlier. His points in the 1st Quarter, are the same as the points in the 4th Quarter.

He was no doubt a steal in the 2nd round. Now, how many times does Josh Childress name gets mentioned in the MVP talk? I think when he leads us to our 49 Win Season this year, that JC will be in the same breath as the MVP's this year!
laugh.gif

You've got to be kidding. Theres a reason Salim was drafted in the second round, and there is no way in hell or heaven that Salim ever sniffs anywhere near a scoring title. He can shoot lights out, but he can't get his own shot and wil always be dependent on getting the ball in a position to shoot - guys like that don't win scoring titles.

49 wins? I'm willing to put up $50 right now against that.

Quote:

He can shoot lights out, but he can't get his own shot and wil always be dependent on getting the ball in a position to shoot - guys like that don't win scoring titles.

That's not true. Of course I agree that Salim will never win a scoring title, but he is more than a pure shooter. He proved himself to be a flat out scorer in college, and one who rose to the challenge of big shots. He can score in a variety of ways and lose his man. Right now he is struggling with NBA size and speed, but he'll adjust. He is not a damon jones who needs to be wide open to knock it down. I think he will impress you in the long run.

Quote:

Quote:

He can shoot lights out, but he can't get his own shot and wil always be dependent on getting the ball in a position to shoot - guys like that don't win scoring titles.

That's not true. Of course I agree that Salim will never win a scoring title, but he is more than a pure shooter. He proved himself to be a flat out scorer in college, and one who rose to the challenge of big shots. He can score in a variety of ways and lose his man. Right now he is struggling with NBA size and speed, but he'll adjust. He is not a damon jones who needs to be wide open to knock it down. I think he will impress you in the long run.

I actually like Salim quite a bit, and you're right that he's not Damon Jones, but he's closer to Jones than he is Iverson. And thats the only way someone his size would ever win a scoring title is to have the skills & speed Iverson has.

He was an above average athlete in college, but in the NBA his athleticism is average at best. I don't think he is ever going to be the type of player who can create with the ball in his hands. He can prove me wrong, and I'd look forward to it, because damn can he shoot the ball. But the reason he wasn't drafted in the first round, with all of that shooting talent, is because he doesn't have the athleticism.

• Premium Member

Salim is not atheletic enough to be a great threat to NBA players. However, he can shoot. He's more in the mold of jason Terry and Gardner in that respect. Arizona produces a whole lot of those PG sized shooting guards who can shoot. This is why he was pasted over. Interesting is the contrast between him and Jameer Nelson. Jameer Nelson is a short PG with the PG skills. Salim is a Short SG with no PG skills (as evident by his 1:1 A/TO ratio). I think If we can mold Salim in the manner of Toney Delk... As a player who is used to coming off the bench "hot" and putting up points when he gets in, it will be the best thing for him and us. Otherwise, he will be the next Khalid Reeves. A guy who could shoot the lights out, but never transitioned to being an off the bench player; so he had to leave the league.

Zaza may look like the man...but dude has got some stone hands (or at least idd last night). he botched several decent passes.

in general the team looked ok last night.

Lue didn't try to shoot much (surprisingly so), appearing to try and run the offense more. Did ok with this. Burned JWill a couple of times.

Salim was unimpressive. didn't really play point, but didn't do much period. Couple of bad passes. No 3's.

Harrington was sweet. Nice D on Walker as well

JChill...has got to learn to create his own shot a little. Biggest hole in his game...but it's glaring.

Smoove got in early foul troulbe and sat most of the game (played quarters 1 and 3). Did try a couple of times to overtly dunk on Zo.

Marvin didn't play; JJ didn't play; Shaq didn't play.