• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Man to try to qualify for Women's British Open

Lascar78

Quote:

Van de Velde wants to play in Women's British

Associated Press

SOTOGRANDE, Spain --
French golfer Jean Van de Velde will attempt to enter next year's Women's British Open because he is upset women may qualify for the 2006 British Open.

"I'll even wear a kilt and shave my legs,"
said Van de Velde, who six years ago botched a chance for a British Open title in one of the great collapses in a major.

Recent policy set by the Royal and Ancient Golf Club will allow women to qualify for next year's British Open.

"My whole point is where do we draw the line?" Van de Velde asked after shooting a 7-over-par 78 Thursday in the first round of the Volvo Masters.
"If we accept that women can enter our tournaments, then it applies that men can play with women."

The 39-year-old Frenchman said he would get an application and attempt to qualify. Next year's Women's British Open is Aug. 3-6 at Royal Lytham.

The event is run by the Ladies' Golf Union, which established a gender policy this year that says: "It shall be a condition of any competition organized by the Ladies' Golf Union that players must be of the female gender."

Andy Salmon, chief executive officer of the LGU, said Thursday there was no plan to change the rule.

The LGU this season established a formal gender policy sanctioning players who had sex-change operations to become females. The best known example was Danish-born Australian Mianne Bagger, who played some LGU events in 2005.

"I just don't understand it, and if my application is not accepted I will definitely get advice and see how far it will go," Van de Velde said.
"I am making a point. I'm not trying to take a sexist stance."

"I think there are much more important matters," he added.
"I think our governing body should concentrate on the long putter, checking clubs. Things like that, not this."

Former Ryder Cup player Barry Lane suggested a change in the rules could end women's golf.

"Do they want 100 men trying to qualify?" he asked. "If they do there won't be any spots left for them."

At the 1999 British Open, Van de Velde led by three strokes going to the 72nd hole, then wound up losing the tournament in a playoff.

grin.gif

Awesome

Quote:

it's not like I'm crying about it or telling you not to say that. I was just surprised that no one wanted to discuss the actual subject matter, namely whether women should be allowed in men's leagues, and whether that implies that men can play in womens'

I actually think the two topics are related smile.gif The connecting theme, of course, is political correctness.

The unspoken reason for the mere existence of womens' leagues is that women are slower, weaker, and less coordinated than men. Endurance is debatable (but I must ask you why women's tennis matches are best-of-3 instead of best-of-5!)

I do not think that women should play in men's leagues, unless men are allowed to play in women's. First off, the women won't do well, unless the contest is one of subjective criteria and the judges apply a little affirmative action. A good example is the dunk contest that some girl won a few years back. Can't remember the details.

Secondly, the women that do manage to make it in a men's league -- bear with me here -- are using up roster slots / tour slots / etc. They are, in fact, depriving men of those slots. (Obvious joke about 'women' and 'slots' to make here, but I'll leave that up to someone more misogynistic.)

Quote:

I do not think that women should play in men's leagues, unless men are allowed to play in women's. First off, the women won't do well, unless the contest is one of subjective criteria and the judges apply a little affirmative action. A good example is the dunk contest that some girl won a few years back. Can't remember the details.

I agree all the way. Yes it's cute and it makes one girl rich, but I think overall it hurts more than it helps. Also the dunk contest story was Candace Parker who won the college dunk contest because ... well ... she dunked. Meanwhile a certain Josh Smith got bounced by her in the first round, I wonder whatever happenned to him?

I can't wait to see what happens here. Apparently it's clearly in the british open's rules that one must be a woman to enter, but I suppose he plans on challenging the legality of that? He might have a better chance challenging such a rule in the states than in Europe.

Also I'm amazed that that woman who went all-out against the masters hasn't been ranting and raving about this. Maybe she's embarassed of the result of her last public outcry?

• Admin

all jokes aside. I feel that him trying to join just "to make a point" is a weak stunt. The only woman who has really deserved to try the mens tour is Annika. She's just so much better than everyone else in her tour, I feel she deserves a chance to see how she does at the next level. Despite the fact that it takes a spot from a man. She's taking a spot from a man that she is probably better than to begin with.

On the other hand, a man joining the womens tour is just childish. It's like a guy dressing up and trying out for the cheerleaders because another guy got beat out for the kickers spot by a girl.

well come on now, we all know they aren't going to let him play with the girls, nor is that what he wants. He wants a debate that will result in women not being allowed to play on the men's tour. I might be pissed too if I was average and that was how I made my living

Quote:

all jokes aside. I feel that him trying to join just "to make a point" is a weak stunt. The only woman who has really deserved to try the mens tour is Annika. She's just so much better than everyone else in her tour, I feel she deserves a chance to see how she does at the next level. Despite the fact that it takes a spot from a man. She's taking a spot from a man that she is probably better than to begin with.

On the other hand, a man joining the womens tour is just childish. It's like a guy dressing up and trying out for the cheerleaders because another guy got beat out for the kickers spot by a girl.

You're right. It is weak. Notice that implicit in your statements is the unwritten assumption that the men's tour is a "higher level." I know that's the case, you know that's the case, but it won't be stated by anyone in any position of influence, due to the PC police.

As for "she's taking a spot from a man that she is probably better than," that's probably true! But it's probably true that if the women's tour had open, non-gender discriminatory tryout, it wouldn't be a women's tour anymore.