• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Ira's defense may not be as good this yr?

Diesel

• Premium Member

If you think about it, it's really hard to place why Ira's defense was so good. ONE possibility could be that DJ's defense was so good that it allowed Ira the opportunity to gamble on the perimeter. However, how will that work with Big Dog? I wouldn't bet money that Big Dog is a better defender than DJ. I mean, it's hard to manhandle a 6'9 SG with long arms.

What may happen is that Ira may become more less likely to gamble with Big Dog playing Sf.

• Admin

is that maybe Ira is just a good defender?? Ira didn't play that type of "gambling" defense. When teams were scrambling and out of sync, then he would gamble for a steal or poke away. Otherwise he just stayed in front of his man, moved his feet and played good solid by the book defense. I don't see that being any different with or without DJ or with Big Dog. Besides his defense didn't deteriorate with DJ wasn't in the game.

He didn't gamble on D, he plays solid, tough, hard-nosed D. If he had any outside motivation, it was probably his desire to secure a long term contract. Since that didn't happen, his desire will likely be just as strong as ever so that he will lock up that long term contract next year.

Ira was never a gambling defender just a bad a** in your face incredible effort and ability defender. If he were a gambling defender then Theo would enable him FAR more than G-Rob would disable him (I'm not sure G-Rob will disable him vs DJ guarding Sfs as GRob isn't as poor a defender as people say and DJ isn't all that capable of guarding 3s.).

W

Between this post, and your Ira can't shoot statements, I'm starting to wonder did you watch the Hawks at all post allstar break? Ira's success had very little to do with gambling. He played smart hard nosed D. He worked hard to deny the ball to our opponents top perimeter scorer and bothered him all over the court.

If I recall correctly Diesel has admitted to not watching many games last year....

"Last yr at the end of the yr (JT) played some 1 again. I haven't gone through and examined his play because I didn't see many of those games. I will say that I have to see him play defense as a 1 this yr."

Just so I'm not accused of quoting out of context, the whole thread is HERE. (scroll down about halfway) Not trying to break your balls D, but you did say it. It makes me iffy not only about your position on the issue of Ira's defense, but also about comments made regarding JT at the point.