• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Somebody knows this (little help).

Nurlman

What draft picks do the Hawks have the rights to in the next two years? Are they their own? Do they have any others?

Which of them were traded but lottery protected, and how many places deep?

If the Hawks keep a protected pick from Phoenix this year, do they have to give Phoenix their pick in 07-08 or something else?

And if the Hawks finish 1-2-3 in the lottery this year, what are the respective chances of them landing the first pick?

Thanks.

• Moderators

Quote:

What draft picks do the Hawks have the rights to in the next two years? Are they their own? Do they have any others?

Which of them were traded but lottery protected, and how many places deep?

The Hawks own their own pick this year unrestricted. The Suns now own the rights to the worse of the Boston/LAL first round picks. I think the LAL pick is protected top 3 so one of those is coming to Phoenix.

In 2006-07, our first round pick is only protected 3 deep.

Quote:

If the Hawks keep a protected pick from Phoenix this year, do they have to give Phoenix their pick in 07-08 or something else?

We don't give it to them this year. If we keep it in 2006-07 it will be unprotected in 2007-08 and goto Phoenix.

Quote:

And if the Hawks finish 1-2-3 in the lottery this year, what are the respective chances of them landing the first pick?

Thanks.

1. 250 combinations 25% chance of receiving the #1 pick

2. 199 combinations 19.9% chance

3. 156 combinations 15.6% chance

4. 119 combinations 11.9% chance

5. 88 combinations 8.8% chance

6. 63 combinations 6.3% chance

7. 43 combinations 4.3% chance

8. 28 combinations 2.8% chance

9. 17 combinations 1.7% chance

10. 11 combinations 1.1% chance

11. 8 combinations 0.8% chance

12. 7 combinations 0.7% chance

13. 6 combinations 0.6% chance

14. 5 combinations 0.5% chance

• Premium Member

We have the rights to our own pick in the 2006 draft..

and the 2007 pick is protected the same pick goes unprotected in 2008.

Summary.

2006, we have given the Suns the Celtics picks (Boston's choice (the worst) between their own pick and LAL's pick.. and protected if both Boston and the Lakers are worst than top 15)..

Our own Pick in 2006 is Lottery protected.

Then there is the 2007 draft. Our pick is top 3 protected ( I think it's either top 3 or lottery protected).

Then the 2008 draft. Our pick is unprotected.

If we can't turn it around by 2008, then shoot...

• Premium Member

The 2007 draft... I look at it this way.

We kept our 2006 pick.

If giving Boris and the 2007 pick (#4 and beyond) was too much for JJ.. Then we ought not be in the sport.

Having JJ means a change in thinking.. Mainly, we're moving pass the acquisition of youth.. into the development of youth and the acquisition of vet talent.

We still can't be nursing the draft in 2007 and expect to do anything. JJ is only here for 5 yrs.

• Moderators

I view the JJ trade the same way you do Diesel but I've seen teams burned too many times. Protection on the 2007 pick is what I call covering your a**. If the Hawks haven't improved by then and get the 4th pick in a very good draft they will rue the JJ trade the way we do the Lo Wright, Shareef and G.Robinson trades that could have netted us Q, Amare, Gasol and Ford.

• Premium Member

The problem with that logic is that we would have never drafted Q, Amare, and Ford.

One thing that nobody has ever mentioned about Babcock is that he preferred (to a fault) to draft college Seniors. The one time he didn't was when we picked up Demarr. It wasn't because of a true change of Philosophy, but because his job on the line!!

Just wanted to clarify one thing. If the Hawks make the playoffs this year, then the pick would go to Phoenix. So we are not guaranteed a 1st round pick in 2006. It's just highly likely.

As for that 2007 pick (which we would give up, if we stay out of the playoffs) is a possible nightmare. If that pick was 4th or 5th pick, then Phoenix might of got us a little. If that pick is 6th or lower, then I think it's fair for getting JJ (24 years old) in return.

So we are not guaranteed a pick either year. We are guaranteed 2 first round picks in the next 3 years (as of now). So we might have two number 1's in the next two years. With the 2007 pick being a top 3 player in the draft.

• Premium Member

I know tht we have given them the Boston pick for sure.

Our pick is described as protected. I suppose that under your scenerio, it's correct. If we make the playoffs, Phoenix gets both picks this yr.

Actually, I need to check to see if that's a 2006 protected pick or a 2007 protected pick. I am reading conflicting reports...

• Premium Member

I read Hawks.com to find out the status of the picks given to the Suns. The Hawks.com writeup was so vague, I couldn't understand. It said the Hawks traded 2 conditional picks. And that's all... So I went to Suns.com... This is what they have... Notice the detail!

Quote:

The Suns will receive Atlanta's own first round pick no later than the 2008 NBA Draft. That pick which is "lottery" protected (1-14) in 2006, has protection through No. 3 in 2007 and has no protection in 2008. In addition the Suns will also receive a conditional first round pick via either the Los Angeles Lakers or Boston Celtics from an earlier trade between Boston and Atlanta. The Laker pick which is subject to protection through No. 10 in 2006, protection through No. 5 in draft years 2007-2010 and unconditional in 2011, is owed to Boston from yet another previous trade. In the year that the Laker pick is conveyed to Boston, Phoenix will receive the least favorable of Boston's own pick or the Laker pick.

Maybe, our GM can learn about Detail too?

After reading, I still feel good about the trade. Those picks won't amount to much. The Boston pick is as good as a second rounder.

So it's Diaw/1st for JJ...

Our luck with firsts, I would do this again!