• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Dodgers overpay for greedy Furcal

CBAreject

Furcal will receive 40 million over 3 years, making him the 2nd highest paid SS in the bigs. This is the 2nd consecutive season the Dodgers have overpaid for one of the Braves stars. J.D Drew received a 5 year 55 million dollar deal a year ago.

I hope Furcal performs as well as Drew did for the Dodgers.

Greedy? No, I call it a smart business decision on Furcal's part. I am certain that he wanted to stay with the Braves, but he is a paid professional and he may never see that kind of offer ever again. I will miss his speed, but I wish him luck.

Those are not mutually exclusive things, you know. Many smart, successful businessmen are very greedy. The main thing about Furcal is that he didn't allow the Braves to make a final offer. I will say that at least his decision was a little more lop-sided than that of Sheffield, who bolted for an extra mil per year.

The Dodgers overpay for yet another player. Furcal is a fine shortstop, but he's not as good as Tejada/Jeter. He can be horrendous offensively at times.

If the Braves trade for Lugo, they won't miss anything offensively, and they'll have a much cheaper option.

• Admin

and continued to play for a winning team with a winning atmostphere and an expectation to, at the very least, make the playoffs. He took 4mil more, an insignificant number in the overall picture, to go play for a loser. A team that was 20 games under 500 in an extremely weak NL west. It's going to take more than Furcal to make up those 20 games.. and it will likely take more than that to make the playoffs out there this year.

I don't blame furcal for taking the money. But it shows that he's not a "smart businessman" or whatever the heck it was the other guy in this thread said.

This team was hit bad by injuries last year. I can't stand the Dodgers but no one had them finishing the year the way they did last year. With a few additions including Fucal, this team would have the same chances as anyone else in that division of making the playoffs.

As for being a smart businessman, his marketing value went straight up as soon as it was announced he was signing with the Dodgers.

• Moderators

It is really $12 M since it is $4 M per year so I can't call him a bad businessman for doing that but he owed the Braves a chance to make a final offer. That wasn't smart or responsible, IMO. That said, I suspect his agent knew the Braves wouldn't come close to an offer like that and probably worried the Dodgers would realize they were overpaying and would pull the deal from the table if he didn't sign off on that before they thought better of it.

His agent is based here in Atlanta and he knows there is more money to be made in LA than Atlanta. (outside baseball)

The Braves did deserve the final say in the talks just out of respect for the organization who stood behind you all those years. But we all know the Braves were not going to come close to even Chicago's offer.