• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Vargas vs. De La Hoya.

Diesel

• Premium Member

I watched that contest from Saturday night and am most unimpressed by De La Hoya.

First off, he asked for the 10 oz gloves....

Then he comes to the ring with his cup so high up that his ribs were totally covered.

Sure he beat Vargas in the late rounds, but truth be known if this fight were like most other championship fights, 8 oz gloves and regular cup placement, Vargas would have beaten De La Hoya much earlier.

What I would really love to see is Roy Jones Jr. drop down in weight and clear all the whole middleweight scene.

But if Vargas gets a rematch with De La Hoya and De La Hoya get enough balls to go to the 8 oz gloves, I suspect we will see a need for a rubber match.

He would have been a fool to agree to the 8 oz gloves when fighting a naturally bigger and stronger opponent. As far as the cup goes, I don't think it would have altered the outcome one way or another.

I was glad to see De La Hoya take Vargas out. Vargas has a lot of mouth for someone with no victories over anyone of consequence. Trinidad really kicked his a** and De La Hoya whipped him soundly as well. De La Hoya is CLEARLY the superior boxer and that is why he won the fight. Vargas' only hope was to over power him because he was never going to out box him.

Neither guy would stand a chance with Roy Jones, Jr. He's much too big, strong and fast (not to mention good) for either of those guys.

• Premium Member

It was sorta a fix. I think the cup mattered a whole lot. Did you see De La Hoya's Shoulder's after the fight. The places where Vargas hit him were bruised up really bad. Plus, everytime Vargas went to the body, Dela Hoya balled up like a baby. That Cup made a huge difference. Had he not had it so incredibly high, he'd have broken ribs for sure.

I agree that Vargas has no noteable wins, but his two losses were cases where he was involved in wars that went into the late rounds and he just didn't have enough. Vargas' managers need to be fired. It's simple physics that the longer Vargas stays in the ring, the less effective his punching power will be. That and a well placed left hook is what beat him. I think he will return... But De La Hoya is already ducking him?? No talk of rematch... Instead he wants a money fight with Sugar Shane.

Now that Shane's confidence is shatter after 2 losses to foster, here comes the Golden Boy looking for a payday? Why not challenge Foster? Why not give Vargas a rematch with the 8 oz gloves?

I love boxing but there's a whole lot of scared running going on there.

Plus, who will challenge Roy Jones Jr? Really? I think that the worst thing he can do is go up in weight and fight the other champions (not Lewis). That guy is simply a mauler. Jones is faster but I don't know if his power will translate against that guy. He'll just lean on Roy all night and maul him and will tarnish what is probably the best Pound for pound fighter in History.

I wanna see Bernard Hopkins and Roy Jones Jr. fight. Thats the only fight i wanna see right now and it aint gonna happen. Ive talked about the possiblity of this fight so many times that i dont fell like stating my stance. I will say this, Hopkins would beat him

• Admin

Vargas was still landing his body punches, which are one of his strengths, just fine. He just couldn't get enough of them to do any damage. Strength didn't really mean much in this fight. Vargas simply got outboxed. If Vargas could have somehow kept de la hoya on the ropes I think he would have messed him up. De La Hoya just "held his own" until he got the chance to land a few choice shots and that really sapped all the attutide out of Vargas. You could totally see it too. Vargas had all this attitude and it really felt like he had the intimidation factor on De La hoya. But once De La Hoya started working that spot under his eye you could see Vargas attitude change.

Regardless it was a great fight and very fun to watch.

Roy would be a fool to even CONSIDER getting in the ring with him. I don't even think Roy should consider fighting a smaller heavyweight like Holyfield. I agree with you that moving up in weight would be a mistake for Roy.

I'd LOVE to see him fight Hopkins but I don't see it ever happening. Neither guy is going to cave in on their money demands and therefore, I just don't think it will happen.

As for De La Hoya, how is trying to avenge your only two losses ducking someone? Besides, Sugar Shane and Trinidad are CLEARLY better fighters than Vargas. I'd LOVE to see a Trinidad versus De La Hoya rematch. That was a good fight until De La Hoya stopped being aggressive.

Vernon Forrest is the champ but I don't see any of those guys begging to fight him. There is no reason for him to fight Moseley again and Vargas is not a very attractive opponent for him right now either. Fighting Forrest makes no sense for De La Hoya right now because Forrest could very well beat him and that would ruin his attempt to avenge his losses to Moseley and Trinidad. If Trinidad stays retired, a De La Hoya versus Forrest fight could be big if De La Hoya could be Moseley.

• Premium Member

That would be a good fight. The Executioner hasn't lost yet has he? The problem I see is that Jones is faster and he hits really hard. However, Hopkins would stop all of Roy's antics in the ring. Think about it though. Roy is fighting guys who are Lt. Heavywts...180-200 pounds and he's putting bad beatings on them.

I though RJJ vs. Trinadad would have been a good fight at one time.

Like I say, Roy needs to go down in weight and clean up the whole division. There are too many pretenders and contenders. There's nothing as a Lt Heavyweight.

• Premium Member

Cup was an issue. Had the cup not been so high, and the gloves so padded, we would have seen a knockout early... Maybe by round 4.

Yes Vargas was outboxed but the way that De La Hoya set up the fight, there was no other likely scenerio. He's a better boxer than Vargas but with regular conditions, Vargas would knock him out.

• Premium Member

He's so good that everyone good is ducking him. At one time, I thought that Moseley was the best trained most gifted fighter in the division. But after watching Vernon reck his train twice, I know that's not true.

Why don't Atlantians show Vernon love?

and strong for him. No way should Forrest move up in weight to fight Roy. He'd get killed. If they did fight, Roy should have to come down to his weight.

I knew Vernon had a good shot of beating Moseley before their first fight but he exceeded my expectations and thoroughly kicked his a**. When Vernon was introduced and came out with JD singing "Welcome to Atlanta" in his Hawks uniform, I was HYPED! The ATL represented well that night. Then, Forrest beat Moseley again and proved who the best fighter was once and for all. Vernon doesn't get a lot of hype because he's not as flashy as De La Hoya, Moseley, Trinidad or Vargas but his skills are as good (if not better) as any of theirs plus he has a lot of heart.

• Premium Member

If Roy was to drop in weight to fight these guys, he would destroy them all. Even in his old age, he's faster for sure.. .AND he's definitely too strong. I think his only problem is getting too Cocky. Trinadad is the only guy that I think would have enough power to drop Roy.

Trinidad vs. Vernon... Welcome to Atlanta....

I think Hopkins needs to send a message out to Roy, move up and beat Darius Michaesfjasdahklski, i dont know how to spell. Anyway, if he did that, Roy wouldnt be able to duck him anymore. But that wouldnt be smart for Hopkins really, Itd be a way to help get a fight with Roy, but as far as moving out of his weight class he has dominated just to increase the possibility. Vernon Forrest should move up and fight Hopkins, he'd get killed. But itd still be a nice fight.