• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Tuesday Insider

Lewis has incentive to play like an all-star

by Terry Brown

Send an Email to Chad Ford

Also Below: Rodney White heading to the Nuggets?

NBA Insider Chad Ford is off this week. He'll return on Tuesday, Oct. 1

I've seen Rashard Lewis shoot. I've seen Rashard Lewis defend. I've seen Rashard Lewis late in the game with the ball in his hands.

And Rashard Lewis is no Paul Pierce.

It would have been absolutely derelict of Sonic management to give the kid the same max contract that Pierce deserved and received since becoming the best offensive and defensive player on a Celtics team that went to the Eastern Conference Finals last season.

Lewis wanted $90 million over seven years. The Sonics, instead, gave him $60 million with a chance to make another $15 million.

Rumor has it that all Lewis has to do to tap into that extra dough and average more than $1 million per season is to make the all-star team.

Basically, all Lewis has to do to get paid like an all-star is to play like an all-star.

"Incentives are used to bridge that gap in negotiations," said one NBA agent. "It makes it fair for both sides since they will both be sharing the risk."

If Lewis doesn't play like an all-star, well, then, he's just another multi-million dollar basketball player. Just not as multi, so to speak.

Under the current Collective Bargaining Agreement, a team can add incentives to a player's contract of up to 25 percent of the total deal. The league then determines if these incentives are likely to occur or unlikely. If likely, the incentive then counts against the team's salary cap. If not, then it doesn't. The league also reviews these each year.

In Lewis' case, the Sonics offered a base salary of $60 million plus the maximum incentive amount of $15 million (or 25 percent of 60). Since Lewis has never made an all-star team before, the incentive will not count against the team's cap and will continue to stay off until he does.

"A lot also depends on the type of incentive," said the agent, who has had many of his clients signed to just such contracts. "If it is only based on points or rebounds or individual stats of that nature, it can engender selfish play. I try to always link incentives with team goals and awards. It's more equitable that way."

After all, it wouldn't do the Sonics much good if Lewis does become a high-scoring small forward to the detriment of a team that misses the playoffs.

Switching from contracts based mostly on potential to contracts based more on performance really isn't that complicated.

Let's look at an example from next year's free-agent crop, using a hypothetical $10 million cap in the first year of the deal.

Tim Duncan is a max player. He's won an NBA title and been named both the regular-season MVP and Finals MVP and made the All-NBA team every season he has played in the NBA while averaging more than 20 points and 10 rebounds.

In our model, he would make $10 million his first year. Period. No questions asked. In fact, in a perfect world, he'd be making a heck of a lot more.

Michael Olowokandi is not a max player. He has never pushed his team into the playoffs much less the Finals and has yet to make even an all-star team. He is the sixth-leading scorer on his team and second-leading rebounder. But at 7-feet, he has the potential to make a major impact on his team. He averaged 11 points and 9 rebounds last season.

In our model, he would make $7.5 million his first year plus incentives.

If Olowokandi boosts his stats to 20 points and 10 boards, give him another $1.25 million. Or split it up. Give him $625 thousand if he scores 20 and another $625 if he grabs 10 boards.

If Olowokandi leads his team into the playoffs, give him another $1.25 million.

Basically, if Olowokandi measures up to Duncan by individual stats and team impact, then pay him like Duncan. But if Olowokandi remains Olowokandi, then don't.

The team that signs Olowokandi would then be on the hook for only $8.125 million ($7.5 million base plus $625 thousand in likely rebounding incentive) if the center simply duplicates his numbers next season. But if he is the second-best center in the league like he and his agent are proclaiming, then by all means, let him earn it.

Same goes for Wally Szczerbiak.

He wants a max deal when he becomes a restricted free agent next offseason. And if he really believes he's just as good as Kobe Bryant or Tracy McGrady, then give the kid the opportunity to back it up.

Give him a base salary to match his all-star status then the incentives to match his All-NBA counterparts.

Make Jason Kidd the model for point guards next offseason. Give Andre Miller the incentives to match him. Give Jermaine O'Neal and Elton Brand the same exact deal. Use Games Played as an extra incentive for Lamar Odom. Use steals for Ron Artest, assists for Jason Terry.

Add it in to coaches' and general managers' contracts. Find a way to incorporate revenue sharing with the owners based on minimum standings. If the Clippers win only so many games, then Donald Sterling only gets so much of the TV deal. Make the entire league responsible for what happens on the court.

Don't the Knicks wish they would have done this whole incentive thing with Allan Houston last offseason. They gave him a six-year, $100 million deal with no strings attached. The very following season, Houston failed to even make the all-star team as his team won only 30 games (18 less than the previous season) and missed the playoffs.

"I'm not a gambling man by nature," said the agent. "But if the parties are creative it can really strike a balance."

Rodney White heading to the Nuggets?

The Pistons' youth movement continues. About a week after trading Jerry Stackhouse to the Wizards for third-year player Richard Hamilton, the Pistons are about to send last year's first-round pick, Rodney White (ninth overall), to the Nuggets for a future first-round pick.

White, who many thought would challenge for Rookie of the Year honors and compare to former Nugget Antonio McDyess, never developed the way Piston management hoped he would averaging only 3.5 points and 1.1 rebounds his first season. The Nuggets, however, began inquiring about him as early as last season's all-star break.

"I love it here in Detroit, but I realize this is a business and I'd like an opportunity to play," said White.

White now joins a Nugget forward core that includes veteran Juwan Howard, highly touted rookies Nikoloz Tskitishvili and Nene Hilario, and Rocky Mountain Revue MVP Chris Anderson.

The trade would give the Pistons three first-round picks next season while also freeing up the small forward position where veteran Del Curry and rookie Tayshaun Prince are slotted. The deal may also include James Posey and Mengke Bateer.

Must be that pick they got from Orlando, you know that Trade

Don Reid + first rounder for a future denver 2nd rounder

Seriously though, Rodney White is a great talent, but he's been pining away on the bench all season and that can't be good for his confidence. Is that a faith for all juco's?

It's obvious they want to trade him though, apparently Tayshaun Prince locked down Jrich at Pete Newells' camp and he's been playing beyond expectations.

I really like Rodney White, Denver could be a good place for him so he can play ,develop and learn from his mistakes. Denver will only be playing for the lottery anyway so they'll probably play Donyell, Skeeta and Nene till they foul out. Rodney would fit in perfectly as they head for the lottery with the offchance of getting Lebron James. If they don't get the first pick they could go for James White or Chris Duhon.

I like the way Kiki's rebuild is going.

Dallas?

I don't really think Dallas will have the patience to develop a player who's clearly still in the learning progress. Look at Jermaine O'Neal at Portland, his rookie tenure there he just pined away.

Rodney clearly should go to a team that isn't going to the playoffs no way no how. Denver would be good, Grizzlies a possibility (although they're already forward rich) and of course the Cavaliers seem to be a lock for the lottery.

He needs playing time to develop, no way he'd get that with the Mavs. Not now anyway.