• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Brookwood

Did anyone go to Brookwood tonight for the open-forum scrimmage?

It's my alma mater (am I allowed to say that about a HS?) and I tried to convince my parents to go, but it didn't happen. Would like to hear a report if anyone braved the weather (heard it started raining down there). Pissed I couldn't come back for that, but seeing as it's the week before midterms...well, that's just not gonna happen.

Camp-

I'm trying to get them, esp. my dad who's become a much bigger Hawks fan because of my interest, to go. I'm in med school at Vandy - three midterms starting on Friday - no way I can make it, but damn I want to.

Hopefully someone'll give a nice report after tonight...

For those not familliar with the scrimmage, the Hawks rotate venues yearly in a "FREE PUBLIC SCRIMMAGE GAME".

Last year's was at a private school near Marrieta and this year's is at "Brookwood High School" in Snellville.

There are no tickets to buy it's an open venue. Just walk right in.

What the hawks do is have the dancers, Harry, Skyhawk walking around...they give out freebee's (banners and things) and use the event to promote season tickets for the upcoming season to different parts of town. You could even buy your season tickets right there.

The teams are divided equally (9 on 9) and they play a full game (believe it's 10 minute quarters) with staff assistants coaching the teams. Yes they keep score and yes the dancers perform at the half. It's like a free preseason game but you get to root for both sides. NO they don't play starters against the bench or anything like that. Lot's of dunks, and tons of backdoor fun plays....no hard fouls (less a grocery bagger get a quick trip home). I had a blast with my 2 sons last year and was geeked when I heard it was during the week and close to home this year.

After the 3rd or 4th game is when they start making cuts. So it's kind of a gift to the grocery baggers who won't be on the team next year and a tool to boost attendance in the regular season.

Hey guys. It was a good time. Excuse me if this isn't totally accurate or rambles but I was there with my rambunctious 9 year old.

They played 6 minute quarters. White Jerseys against Black Jerseys but the players changed teammates during the game.

JT, Dion, GDawg, SAR and Theo started for white

DD, Nazr and Hendu, Ham and George Williams led out Black

At the end of quarter 1, Black was actually beating White 16-10. Much like a college game they were just out hustling White. Particularly Nazr who in my opinion was the star of the game. The score could have been more but Dickau had 2 passes brick off Hendu's hands on good scoring ops....What else is new.

During the 1st quarter intermission the Brookwood cheerleaders entertained with 3 quick routines that included a number of high flying throws (the 9 year old appreciated the skirts flying up).

To begin the second, White stayed with the same lineup except they inserted a fresh Ira for Dion. Black sub'd in Email/Shirley and Harvey. Harvey looked pretty good. Lazy but smart. Email was horrible. God is he slow. After watching JT, DD and Dion fly up and down the court in the 1st, it was like watching grass grow. Email should not be on this team...I was not impressed at all. Shirley is a grocery bagger...pure and simple. He took 6 to 8 shots in the game showing he can brick from inside and out. There's a reason he's not on a roster. White dominated this quarter. Theo Rejected a soft hook into the bleachers, IRA took a Terry pass on the break and threw a 2 handed half windmill out front then tornado'd off the rim counter clockwise. The score after 2 was White 26, Black 20.

Third quarter saw DD and Nazr and Hendu change sides and Theo take a permanent seat. He was very intimidating in the middle and his work was done. JT stayed with DD and Dion Swapped to Black with Robinson. The scoring for the quarter was fairly even. Dion showed his skills on a squad without a point taking forward off the dribble and drawing 3 fouls in this quarter but couldn't defend either Jt or DD at the other end.

DD also showed his youth in this quarter getting trapped twice on the right sideline by taller players.

IN the 4th White ran away with it but that isn't the story. Nazr continued to dominate as the only good player left on the floor with Dickau. Dickau Dominated Email in this quarter but was severely hampered by Shirley, Williams and Ham on his squad. On one break away 4 on 2, DD drove Center with all 3 in front of him...instead of Fanning and cutting the 2 Lawn rakers tried filling the lane where Ham was already on the left side. Dan actually yelled something to the effect of "Get out of there". He tried to bail and was stripped and looked to the bench for Hendu...no can do he was done for the night. When playing with any of the top 9, DD looked great but when playing with subpar talent he looked bad. Final score was white 44, Black 34.

Things I learned.

Dickau will be just fine as the backup point guard. JT was obviously better than him one on one but the rook held his own and more importantly barked out orders like a general.

Nazr is definately stronger. He outmuscled everyone when he got down low on them...even Theo. Only Theo's athleticism gave him the advantage.

Robinson isn't a bad defender, just a smart defender. I caught him more than once baiting the weaker players to pass off around him only to emerge and steal. I counted 4 steals for Glenn and no one really score on him all game. He seems lazy because he doesn't get up on anyone. He seems to prefer to let the opponent shoot and takes away the baseline and the hooks and curls. Playing off makes him look lazy. A shooter will kill him, but a Dion/slasher type has no chance.

Theo can still jump. on his one block, Theo's hand was a good foot over the rim. On the first shot of the game, Theo was called for Goal Tending. On the Block off the backboard, his fingers hit the backboard over the shooters square.

Email should be bagging groceries with Shirley.

To reiterate Camps recap...my dad's comments on the game:

"Nazr was the most impressive player on the court last night. He looked strong - much better than most of the times we saw him last year at the Phil"

"DD was alright. Looks like he can really handle the ball and made some nice passes, but I don't know what all those people were talking about with his shooting. Looks like he has a nice shot, but nothing went in." - and hasn't gone in all pre-season.

The people were real excited but mainly because it was free professional basketball. That vast majority in the crowd were JT fans it seems. When they announced his name the place went nuts. Obviously more than for any other play.

When they announced Dickau the girls in the place squealed. At times Harry and the inflatible Harry got more attention and after the game everyone rushed the floor for autographs.

Mainly the locals were in to the game though..Place got loud on the 2 blocks and the 2 dunks. On one play SAR led White on a break about about half the place stood up.

Separate note, Dickau hit 2 shots out of 5 or 6. a layup and a 3 pointer.

Seems to be some concern about DD's shooting so far and probably rightfully so, when you only hit 1 shot a game. But you don't shoot 46% on 3pt's in college without being able to shoot the ball. It would be much more disconcerning if he got to the pre-season and we found out that he was having trouble running the team or handling the ball against quicker, more athletic players. So far that doesn't seem to be the case. I think it's a matter of time before he starts becoming a consistent threat from the perimeter and will help when teams double Shareef and Big Dog.

I think he is going to struggle with quicker, stronger more athletic players for a while. I think he will eventually overcome this and become a very solid PG but I do think he will struggle early. I think he will struggle to get his shot for a while. DerMarr had the same problem as a rookie. He couldn't get a shot off. Last season, that problem almost completely disappeared and DJ even started to show some ability to create his own shot. I think DD will go through the same process. DD has to learn to get his shot off quicker (while maintaining accuracy) just as DJ did. Mark Price also made that adjustment and I think DD will too.

As for Davis, he is never going to be a great offensive player but he is a very good defender and ballhandler. The thing I like most about Davis is that unlike JT and DD, he rarely turns the ball over. I'd be willing to bet that DD struggles mightily against Davis in practice right now because Davis is stronger, quicker and more athletic. He also knows the pro game a lot better. DD clearly has superior skills and will one day be a better player but I don't think that day is here yet. We still need Davis' veteran experience. He might not be pretty but he is solid and he will make a solid contribution to this team at both PG and SG.