• Raised $390 of $700 target

Woody: "Peter Vescey Is A Lying Ass"

Lascar78

Ok not quite but here it is

Woodson: No 'bad kids'

By SEKOU SMITH

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Published on: 02/27/06

REPORT DENIED: Hawks coach Mike Woodson called it "ridiculous." Rookie guard Salim Stoudamire called it "lies."

And that's just the beginning of what they had to say a report in a New York newspaper and the discussion on local talk radio that Stoudamire's two-game suspension stemmed from a near-physical confrontation between coach and player after a loss to Seattle last Wednesday.

Stoudamire returned from his suspension for Monday night's game against New Jersey at Philips Arena with a smile and acknowledgement that his actions weren't what they needed to be.

Woodson said what happened after the Sonics game was simply a coach airing his feelings about demeanor Stoudamire had been warned needed to stop or he would face a suspension.

But suggestions that Stoudamire cursed at Woodson or that the two had to be separated in the locker room are, according to both men, inaccurate.

"I never cursed at coach and nobody ever touched anybody," said Stoudamire, who entered the game with 2.4 seconds to play in the first quarter. "I don't know how stuff like that gets out. The fact is I've always been the type of dude who learns the hard way, always the hard way. But I'm definitely glad to be back. And I can tell you that I don't ever want to go through this again."

Woodson was just as incensed that shots were taken at Josh Smith and Marvin Williams, who were also identified as young players who have clashed with the coaching staff and other players on the team this season.

"That's terrible," Woodson said. "We don't have any problems with our young guys that are out of the ordinary. None of our guys are bad kids and everybody on this team comes to work every day ready to go. That's why even during such trying times this has been such a great group of guys to coach.

"I certainly have no problem with our young guys. And to see what was said about those guys, especially that stuff about Marvin and Josh is so far fetched it's not even funny. People can write whatever they want but our camp is just fine. As the head coach of this team, I've got everything under control."

Williams admitted that he was fuming early Monday when informed of the article that mentioned his name. But by game time he had cooled off.

"That's not even me," he said before the game. "Someone's painting a picture of me that isn't true. I haven't done anything to anybody to deserve that. I don't think any of us deserve to have our names kicked in the dirt like that."

OLYMPIC HOPEFUL: Hawks guard Joe Johnson has been invited to tryout for the U.S. National team that will participate in the world championships this summer in Japan and the 2008 in China.

BLOCK PARTY: Smith is rapidly moving up the Hawks' career blocked shots list in just his second season. He entered Monday night's game with 269, good for 11th on the list.

He has a chance to move up as high as ninth place before the season ends. Antoine Carr (286) and Andrew Lang (308) are directly ahead of him.

yeah the first free throws after salim came in the game, he walked over and was talking to woody, smiling, and you could tell it was a photo-op. I could almost hear them saying "take that vescey". I also noticed Smith and Marvin playing around a lot more than usual during shootarounds, as if to prove that there's no beef on our team. Reassuring to say the least

I don't believe this is true with Smoove and Marvin they play well with each other and find each other on the court.

I think what happen is Salim and Woody just exchanged words and that's it, he would be suspended more than 2 games if he had physical alteraction with the coach. Don't you see that NY media used Salim so they can talk sh!t about Marvin and Smoove too just to make their Knicks look better.

--------------------

"""That was Marvelous"""

Edited by MW24 (Mon Feb 27 2006 01:39 PM)

I was correct nothing happened!

Woody had no other choice. Considering his overall record as a head coach, the last thing he needs is people in the organization thinking he's lost control of the team. With that young of a team, control is essential. He had to speak up, not only for his guys, but his own livelyhood.

Quote:

I'm glad Woody came out right away and squash the Vescey article. I never believe anything he says or print. He is just one of many New York journalist who cares more about tabloid journalism than reporting something of substance.

I bet there is some truth to it even though Woody and SS are denying it. Would they really confirm that it happend? I don't think they would.

You think they should just take it all laying down??

Peter Vescey saying it in print don't make it so.

Stretching the truth until no one could recognize it

is a talent some people have. He seems to be one of those.

As bad as it was, it might been the best thing that has

happened to these Hawks. Now, they must stand up and

defend their home turf.

Having raised children, I know they sometimes quarrel

with each other, but an outsider better not jump on

one of them. If they do, they have the entire family

to fight.

Our Hawk's family has been attacted. They are only

defending the family.

WAY TO GO HAWKS !!!!!!

tongue.gif

The only thing denied in the AJC is the idea of a "physical altercation" and the claim that Marvin and Josh are jerks.

Woody and Salim acknowledged there was an episode of some sort, and a big enough one to draw a 2 game suspension. But they adamently deny anything physical.

If I see two guys in each other's face, I might say they almost came to blows. They may get mad at me for suggesting it was more than shouting. It seems there's confusion over the idea that people had to intervene to break this thing up. Does that mean they were wrestling? Not, it just means that people got involved and cooled down the sitution.

Vescey took a little story about some lockerroom intensity and tried to make it look like a team dealing with mayhem.

Vescey took a couple moments during the season where there's been tension between the coach and players, and is trying to portray mutiny.

I like the fact that we have some fire in our lockerroom. You aren't supposed to get along with your coach 100% of the time. Sometimes he needs to kick a little tail(figuratively, of course).

You aren't supposed to like the fact you get pulled off the floor from time to time. That doesn't make you a bad teammate.

This team has stuck together through a terrible ownership scandal and a horrible start to the finish. They've improved througghout the season even though their coach has looked like a lame duck at times. They look happy somehow, and their record is getting better.

These things piss off the critics that expect this team to be a complete failure. I think we're in good shape, and Woody's beginning to earn the right to possibly keep his job!