• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Mike James or Nene?

Johnnybravo4

Since everyone thinks we need a PG and a center. I doubt that we can get both through FA so I have a question for you all. Arguably the best PG on the market next year will be Mike James from Toronto. He is a journeyman pg who is finally coming into his own as a player (ala Chauncey Billups) who is avg close to 20 ppg and 5 assists. Then you have the best center coming up in FA, Nene from Denver. Last year he avg about 9 points and 6 rebounds, if he can recover from his injury he may be coming into his own in this league.

Personally I'd rather have James. From the games I have seen him play especially this year, he is an offensive machine. He can drive to the basket and get fouls, and he can hit the outside shot. He also takes less risk because he is healthy. The only downside is that he is 30..although I don't mind veteran experience at the point. He can sign a 4-5 year deal in the 7-8 million range (which would punk out the Raptors who have to resign Bosh next year) We could then use our draft pick on a young big, Aldridge, Williams, Splitter or whomever.

James/Lue(MLE)

JJ/Salim/Donta Smith

Marvin/Childress

Smoove/Aldridge

Zaza/Cato(LLE)/Batista

Nene no questions asked.

Mike James is a more experienced salim. He can handle the ball a little, but mostly is a chucker. If we get a PG he needs to play D, push the ball, and not turn it over. Mike James can push the ball a little, but he doesn't play good D.

Nene fits a need perfectly. We're not sure just how good he'll be, but we know that his strengths are our weaknesses

I see how they look in practice. I would hope that Nene would be better than Zaza and start at the 4 or the 5. My guess would be that if Al is gone you'd have

Ivey/Lue

JJ/Salim

Marvin/Chill

Smith/Zaza

Nene/Zaza

something like that before other additions. Both Nene and Zaza are PF/C s

Quote:

fear?

you think miami is worried about having shaq, mourning, walker, simien, doleac... at the PF-C? I doubt it

Since when is depth to be feared?

No I meant that usually PF/C means too slow to play PF and too small to be a center. They are usually good offensively but stink defensively.

Quote:

Best place to have depth is with your bigs.

Definitely.

Besides with any sigining, the key is that if you are signing the guy to the right price, he should be easily tradable if you want to re-arrange the roster. Teams get in trouble when they overpay players, and then can't trade them for equal value (or for anything).

Quote:

Best place to have depth is with your bigs. Journeymen PG are not expensive or difficult to acquire.

Oh yeah, Detroit and the Clippers would laugh at your dismissal of the journeyman scoring PG.

And in my opinion you are more likely to end up with stiff bigs than you are to end up with a stiff pg. Hell half of the centers that are supposed to be good are stiffs. Half of this board are pining away for Joel Pryzbilla.

Quote:

Quote:

Half of this board are pining away for Joel Pryzbilla.

That's why Nene and Aldridge are better pickups than Mike James.

Don't worry, Steve Francis will be a free agent in a couple years.

The choice isn't between Mike James and Aldridge it is between Mike James and Nene. I would get Aldridge in either scenerio. My point is if we need a pg and a center, it is better to get Mike James and Aldridge, rather than say Nene and Rondo. I want the vet pg who is deadly from the outside and can get to the foul line, rather than the center who is coming off of injury, will probably command a greater salary, and has yet to put up spectacular numbers in the league yet. Mike James in comparison is putting up JJ like numbers.

If we're talking about offering the same kind of contract to them, I'd side with Mike James because of the injury question with Nene. I'm all for bringing in Nene because he brings size and potential but from what James has been showing this year you can make the argument that he brings scoring and potential as well. When I break it down I'd rather go with the potential that James has shown this year versus the potential that Nene has yet to stay healthy to show.