• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

With Grizzard and company gone lets pick up.......

Hawksfreak

I see one problem with aquiring Nailon. I think people underestimate the importance of team chemistry. There is no doubt that Nailon is a good player and would be a very effective backup but there is a reason that the Hornets let him go. Look at the Blazers or the Bucks last year. You can have all of the talent in the world but if you don't play well together or if there are negative attitudes, the teams play is bound to be effected. The Hawks are close to being a very good team, I would hate for chemistry to keep them from reaching their potential.

Nailon had already signed a one year deal with NO for a little more than the team's qualifying offer of $789,000. That is peanuts (and short term) in the big scheme of things. I think the issue was PT AND something else that the team is not talking about. I have no idea what that "something" is, I just find it hard to believe that they released him simply because they were having a hard time finding minutes for him behind Mash, Lynch and Augmon. That COULD be the case I case but they knew that was going to be an issue when they signed him in the first place. Here's what Chad Ford had to say on the issue in today's Insider:

"Cut down day officially got underway Wednesday and there were a few major surprises among the NBA wounded.

Most shocking, the Hornets decided to cut forward Lee Nailon. Nailon started 42 games for the Hornets last season, averaging 10.8 ppg on 48 percent shooting. Nailon signed a one-year, partially guaranteed contract for slightly better than the team's qualifying offer of just more than $789,000.

However, a logjam at small forward left Nailon fighting Jamal Mashburn, George Lynch and Stacey Augmon for minutes. He was losing the battle, which ultimately led to a confrontation between coach Paul Silas and Nailon during a timeout in Tuesday night's game against the Hawks.

"Some players are able to sit the whole game and get no minutes, and, once you call on them the next game or two down the road, they are still ready to play," Bob Bass, the Hornets' executive vice president of basketball operations, told the Times Picayune. "Others players have to play every night or they will lose their sharpness and lose their enthusiasm for whatever the case might be. It all played a part in our decision to make this decision right now."

Other cuts included the Cavs' Anthony Johnson, Kings second-round pick Corsley Edwards, Magic center Obinna Ekezie, 76ers forward Damone Brown, Suns guard Anthony Goldwire and Sonics forward Kei Madison.

Nailon's agent, Larry Fox, said the decision to let Nailon go now was mutual.

"Everybody had been growing intense on how the minutes were being distributed at the position," Fox said. "There was tremendous pressure on George Lynch and Lee and Kirk [Haston], and it was a burden on Coach [Paul] Silas to try and distribute the minutes evenly. So we mutually agreed this was in the best interest for Lee and the team."

There's a good chance that several teams will try to pick Nailon up off waivers. Because Nailon signed for more than the minimum salary, only teams with cap room or with a trade or disabled player exception are eligible to claim him.

If more than one team attempts to claim Nailon, the team with the worst record last season would get his rights. Denver, New York, Orlando, Portland, Toronto and Washington are the only teams that fit those qualifications. The Nuggets have the worst record of the six teams, and could use the help at the position. The Knicks are next. With Spree's situation still up in the air (see below) Nailon is a prime candidate to fill the gap. The N.Y. Post reported today that Knicks GM Scott Layden is interested in Nailon and could claim him as early as today. The Wizards and Raptors also need help at the swing position.

If no one picks Nailon up in the next 48 hours, he becomes an unrestricted free agent and could join any team that wants him."

Hey, I'm all for strengthening their bench. I think Nailon deserves a look but they should see exactly why he was released. I read that he got into it with Coach Silas on the bench during a game. This Hawks team is just forming their identity and to have distractions like that could really mess with their chemistry. I played 4 years of college basketball on teams with very immature, emotional players and when the coach is kicking players out of practice every other day it really starts to effect the team. Eventually, players can start to lose respect for the coaching staff.

If Nailon has never had any other run-ins with coaches or teammates, I definately think he is worth picking up but the Hawks should do some research first.

I always thought Nailon was a good player, but the fact that he was just waived is a major red flag. I mean, he's gotta have a ton more upside than Augmon or Lynch, and you know Mash is gonna miss at least 20 games. So if he's arguing with the coach over PT in preseason games one night and waived the next day, there's almost gotta be something that is'nt being said.....

• Admin

this team. We already have Dog, Ham, Ira and Glover(if needed) to play SF. Nailon although a good player is really not needed. If we had not signed Ham I would have said go after him, but since Darvin is a Hawk, Nailon is not needed.

However, we have JT and Rookie that play PG. Email is probably going to play ahead of DD for a while. Especially if DD is not ready for the pro game yet. I think it will be a while before DD is ready, he has a lot to learn and in the meantime Email can fit our backup PG off the bench need. He is a vetern with some good D, leadership and also has league wide respect. I like having him on the team.

He has a lot of knocks on him from the Hawks fans because too much was expected of him last year. Before he got injured Email was teh starting PG and JT the SG. Now things have changed, Email will only play sparce minutes with JT as the PG. I think he will fit that role just fine.

He is a vetern with some good D, "

Where do people get Email has good defense?

All he is good for is taking charges.That alone

isn't good defense.Derek Fisher takes charges

aswell but he has poor defense.Email is a poor

mans Derek Fisher.He can't even get 3APG.