• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Is This Fair?

Popeye

There is a lot of Marvin questioning going around here and just wanted to throw this out.

This is a short comparison Marvin vs Smoove and it shows that Marvin has almost everything he needs to be a star player and all he really needs is experience and get stronger, and for Smoove he needs to keep improving and he has a longer way to go.

Please be free to correct me if you don't agree!!!

Handles: I take Marvin: Smoove is bad ballhandler but he is improving and Marvin doesn't really need to get better in handling he has that naturaly.

Shooting: I take Marvin Once again Smoove could not shoot a lick last year but he improved and it's still not there yet and Marvin has a good shot already in his rookie year.

Rebounding: I take Smoove he is more athletic than Marvin but Marvin has better hands.

Passing: I take Marvin but Smoove is improving( Smoove makes dumb decisions)

Blocking: SMOOVE easily

Quickness: I say Marvin is quicker

"Handles: I take Marvin: Smoove is bad ballhandler but he is improving and Marvin doesn't really need to get better in handling he has that naturaly.

Shooting: I take Marvin Once again Smoove could not shoot a lick last year but he improved and it's still not there yet and Marvin has a good shot already in his rookie year.

Rebounding: I take Smoove he is more athletic than Marvin but Marvin has better hands.

Blocking: SMOOVE easily

Quickness: I say Marvin is quicker"

Marvin does have better handles..

Marvin has a prettier shot, but really doesn't shoot better..

Both are above average rebounders..

I think Smoove is a better passer..

Smoove is obviously a great shot blocker..

I think Smoove is quicker, but it is close..

They are both 6'9" and around 230-235, but looking at them side by side it is obvious Smoove is a much stronger guy..Smoove is wide shouldered and ripped, Marvin has the appearance of a really tall 13 year old boy. His hips are wider than his shoulders.

Quote:

Right now Smoove is shooting much better than Marvin. Smoove has hit 13 3 pointers this month, shooting 43% from 3. Marvin hasn't hit a 3 since January.

Smooves mid-range shot has been better too. Marvins shot looks good and I think he will be a very good shooter but right now Smoove is better.

Quote:

Marvin makes a lot of dumb decisions too. However he isn't averaging 4 assists this month. Smoove is.

The rest I agree with.

As long as one of the two turns into a good player I am fine, doesn't matter which. So far, Smoove is a better player then Marvin. I also believe Smoove had a better rookie year then Marvin is having, despite the fact that Smoove was younger at the time and right out of high school.

But we will see. There are always guys who when you watch them the skills are obvious - guys like Marvin, Derrick Coleman (when he was with 'cuse), Jimmy Jackson (he was great at Ohio State), Grant Hill, etc. Not all of those player are able to translate those skills into actual on the court production. Dominique Wilkins was like Smoove in that he really didn't have the greatest skills (Dominique did not have the prettiest shot or the best handle), but he used what gifts he had to become one of the best players in the game. Smoove may be one of those guys.

Josh Smith - - - 12/05/85 - - 20 until next Dec. 5th.

Marvin Williams - 06/19/86 - 19 until next June 19th.

Williams turns 20 - 6 months later Josh S. turns 21.

Close to the same age. Smith had no college experience,

but while MW was getting his 1 year there, JS was here,

learning the NBA.

JS has shown GREAT improvement since the all star break.

Both of these players are very, very young. Many years

ago, they would both still be in school, thinking about

making the sweet 16, the final four and then the big

one! Then, with 2 more years to go, we would be looking

for them to be in the draft in 2008!!

A few, but very few players can come out as teenagers

and be an immediate success. We know about L. James.

He did and continues to be great.

Don't sell our players short. Time is on our side.

We watch them as they grow, maturing into something

good. I expect great things out of both of them.

Which is better right now? Josh. Why? Because he has

more experience in the NBA and he is just a tad older.

cool.gif

well I don't think that there's any question about that - they did, period. They both bloomed late in the year in a way that we haven't seen Marvin bloom.

But the question is did they have a better rookie campaign because they are better players, because they got more opportunity, or because they were more NBA ready... ? Perhaps more importantly, does it mean that they will be better than Marvin in the long run?

Let them develop naturally at their own pace. Both guys are tremendous young talents who do a lot of things well on the basketball court and they aren't even old enough to buy a beer yet. At this point, it doesn't matter who does what better because they are both on OUR team. Hopefully, they both will improve a LOT over the next few years and turn into the special players that they BOTH have the potential to be.

Marvin and Smoove will likely battle each other in practice for many years to come and that healthy competition will likely fuel them both to become better players. That kind of competition is healthy. What is NOT healthy is for the fans of the team (or the coaching staff for that matter) to make it into an "either or" scenario for them. They can and SHOULD coexist because they have skills that compliment each other. Along with JJ and Chillz, they should form the foundation of this franchise for the forseeable future.

Don't even matter who's better because they're both Atlanta Hawks. What does matter is whether they'll emerge into an allstar duo like Marion/ Amare or will one become a star and the other to hit a ceiling of mediocrity.