• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Time to Email "The Sports Guy"

jaywalker72

Bill Simmons, who writes the funny Page 2 column "The Sports Guy" has gone too far in his underestimation of Atlanta, and specifically, the Hawks.

If you read his Eastern Conference Preview, it is full of the same national blather about this team, complete with a total miss on Jason Terry, who he compares to the ambivilent Sleepy Floyd.

These guys say these things because:

a. They don't know any better

b. They know that the ATL will not rise up and correct them.

Well, let's change that...

Here is the link to the "Contact the Sports Guy" space on the bottom of the ESPN.com Page 2 page.

Write and explain, politely and passionately why you think he is wrong.

http://espn.go.com/page2/s/feedback/sportsguy.html

Let's get our shots in before these guys see the real Hawks and change their tune.

Here is what I sent...if you guys want to pimp this site or the RealGM site, that would be excellent as well...

Bill,

You have gone way too far in your underestimation of the Atlanta Hawks.

Comparing Terry to the ambivalent Sleepy Floyd is ridiculous.

What are you basing that on? Terry finished in the Top 10 in steals in the NBA last year, and both his and the team's defense improved after getting moved back to the point last January.

As for your final prediction of 33 wins, THEY GOT THAT MANY LAST YEAR! That's without Ratliff, without Robinson, and before they moved Terry to the point (where they finished 19-17 over the last 36 games and Terry averaged 20ppg and 7 apg).

These guys, including Robinson, volunteered three days a month over the offseason to come together and work on getting better defensively and to develop team chemistry. It's not a magic elixir, but it shows the desire and the hunger to succeed, which is more than the nation gives the team credit for.

Bill, it's understandable to not know a lot about the Hawks. what have they done to get yours or anyone's attention.

But please, go find some original opinions about the Hawks, because passing around the national "Pocket SportsGuy" opinions gives you as much cred as national magazine writers on the matter.

And you are a better NBA guy than that.

Sent the "Expert" a note, as you asked. He says that

the Atlanta Hawks are the 12th best team in the east,

ahead of Cleveland, Miami and New York but behind

every one else.

His reasoning -- SAR isn't really that good. Big Dawg

is a cancer, Jason Terry gives up as many points as he scores with poor defense and turnovers, Big Dawg can't

play defense, Theo Ratliff will never be healthy or amount

to anything again.

He allows that Hawks win 32-33 games this season.

I told him I thought it was great that he had done his

research well and it was wonderful we were going to

win at least as many games as we did last season.

Don't you agree??

[if you don't want to get teed off, don't read this

"Expert's " column. You have been warned]

Gray Mule

P.S. I thought it was so far off, it was funny!!

How can you expect this team to win more than 33 games? We were extraordinarily lucky to win that many this year and with the huge loss of Vaughn, Strickland, Smith, and Kukoc we have no shot at winning that many this year. Even though we have added a healthy Ratliff, a newly re-energized Big Dog, and an exciting young rookie in Dickau it still cant compensate for those other losses. Gray Mule you need to just stop being a homer because we have no shot at even winning 30 games this year.

We could have Vince Carter or Allen Iverson

and we would still win 25 games according

to these guys.

I stoped paying much attention to these guys.They

know nothing more than anybody here.I ESP don't

listen to classless Celtic fans.

Sports Guy, I always enjoy your column but you're missing the boat on your Eastern Conference predictions. The Hawks 12th? No way! Either you didn't watch the Hawks last year or you are just regurgitating the same things being said by all the national media regarding the team. If you did watch the Hawks last year, you would have seen Jason Terry developing into one of the better young PGs in the league. In fact, if he played in NY, he would have already been deemed as the next great young PG. JT ended the season as the team's starting PG last year and put up some terrific numbers as the team went 19-16 in his last 35 games at PG. In April, he averaged over 21 ppg and over 8 apg. He did all that with Abdur-Rahim as his only legitimate option. Now, with another legitimate 20 ppg player in Big Dog on the roster, he will likely be even more effective. And no defense for JT? If that's the case, how did he end up in the top 10 in steals last year? Of course he looked bad as a defender against SGs like Kobe Bryant, Eddie Jones and Jerry Stackhouse but he defends the PG position MUCH better.

I understand your skepticism about Theo's health but the Hawks are a playoff team WITHOUT Theo and if he stays healthy, they will contend for the Eastern Conference title. Nazr Mohammed is a very solid replacement for Theo, particularly in the East. Other than Mutombo, which EC Center is significantly better than Mohammed? He more than held his own with the likes of Elden Campbell, Brad Miller and even Alonzo Mourning last year. The bottom line is that while Theo's health is likely the difference between a good season and a GREAT season, the Hawks will make the playoffs this season. Period!

By the way, the Hawks won 33 games LAST YEAR with a starting lineup of Mohammed, Abdur-Rahim, Ira Newble, DerMarr Johnson and Terry. You don't think Ratliff, Abdur-Rahim, Robinson, Newble and Terry will win more than that? Come on man!

I understand your skepticism regarding the Hawks after last season was lost in a rash of injuries but this a more talented, deeper team. This team can deal with short term injuries a lot better than last year's team could. Mohammed, Henderson, Ham, Glover and Dickau will form a solid and scrappy 2nd unit and even Davis and Crawford can contribute if necessary. The Hawks may start off slow because of a brutal opening schedule (6 road games in the first 8) but by the All Star break, look for them to be right in the thick of the playoff race. Go Hawks!

my letter to Mr Simmons...

Let me get this straight. The Hawks have 2 legitimate ALL-STARS in the lineup that they did not have last year, (Robinson & Ratliff) and you think that translates into a net improvement of zero wins?

Now let's tackle your rhetoric..."but you get the nagging feeling he's making a few more NBA pit stops before everything's said and done (he's just good enough to keep getting traded, but not quite good enough to stay in the same place)."

Your argument is that you think Shareef WILL be a player who is traded often, and that doesn't happen to very good players, ergo he isn't a very good player. Too bad you're putting the cart in front of the horse. As of now, Shareef has only been traded once. This debate coach gives you an "F."

Were you eing sarcastic Dolfan, because if you werent you sure make no sense of what you are saying. The Hawks are hands down a much better team than last year and a better team than most of the East teams, including magics, pacers, raptors, hornets sixers etcc...

I actually believe that the only team that might be better than us in the East are the Nets. And we face them tonight and lets see what will happen, although we are short handed, no Reef, no Dj and no Nazr. Is there something in the water of Atlanta?

Well I sent my email in before I actually read the article. Then I decided to read the article and had to send another one in. I changed my name, and email address because I have a few email accounts. I can't believe he said SAR was going to make a few more pitstops. He acts like the guy is constantly being traded.

What's up with the Bulls being ahead of us. Yes, I root heavy for the home team, but I couldn't imagine the Bulls having a better season than us. I think we will have twice as many wins as the Bulls. That is almost as bad as everyone thinking Milwaukee will finish higher than us.