Hawks reup Al.

Salim to GS for Biedrins

Team:

Zaza/Biedrins/Este

Al/Landlord

JSmoove/Marvin/Donta

JJ/JC

Lue/Rondo/Brown

If we got Shelden Williams and Rondo in this draft, it would be hard for me to be too angry. My only problem with this is that I think a #3 or so is worth more than #13/#17. If we got SW and Marcus Williams with those picks, I would do it without much thought.

Shelden Williams, though, is one of the few blue-chippers in this draft. He's just so strong, and he works relentlessly to get stronger. This is what I see from Williams in the NBA in his prime (by 3rd or 4th year):

12 pts, 11 rebs, 2 blocks

I think he will be a hauss defensive PF. He will end up being between the 3rd or 4th best player from this draft. Trouble is, there are about 12 riskier players who have a chance to be stars ahead of him. Plenty of teams will gamble on that potential.

• Premium Member

Honestly,

I don't think there's any star potential in Williams. I think he's going to be a very solid PF. However, I would like to get him because he has the possibility of being another Carlos Boozer. I think he's a hard worker, strong, and that he plays the post defense we needs.

If we re-uped Al, I think it would fit perfectly with having Al and Landlord share the PF position until BK is ready to find a trade for Al... I think that all of our young guys could learn some offensive moves from Al.

It feels like Williams might the the safe pick if Aldridge is gone before we pick.

This could be a watershed offseason for this team because we may have to really move one way or the other (build for the future vice contend asap for the playoffs).

Trade down to get Sheldon at the proper spot and get the best you can in addition would be the logical contend now approach.

Use the (non-Aldridge) pick for TT or Bargnani would be the build for the longterm future approach. I wonder if BK has the OK from the owners to stay on the building path?

• Premium Member

I see Shelden Williams top being Carlos Boozer... Maybe Okafor..

I see his bottom being Marcus Fizer...

There's a lot of room for reward and a lot of room for error... I don't personally think he'd be a superstar but I think he can be that defensive PF off the bench.

i personally would like to see us draft sheldon. I think we will picking somewhere between 4-6, and i think he will be the best big available at that spot. he definatly is the most nba ready player, with his strength and 4 years college experience. i dont think he will ever be an all star or anything, but he will be a very solid backup.

• Moderators

Quote:

i personally would like to see us draft sheldon. I think we will picking somewhere between 4-6, and i think he will be the best big available at that spot. he definatly is the most nba ready player, with his strength and 4 years college experience. i dont think he will ever be an all star or anything, but he will be a very solid backup.

If I am taking someone at the 4-6 spot in the draft, I am looking for at least starter material. If I thought Williams was just a solid backup I would not draft him with our pick. I do think Williams can be a solid starter in the NBA and wouldn't mind getting him and a PG out of the draft if we can't get Aldridge or Bargnini. (At this point - plenty more to learn as the draft approaches!)

Agreed that we should be able to finagle something extra if we drop a few spots and take Sheldon...maybe an upgrade into the 1st round for our 2nd pick or a journeyman big to give some minutes/depth.

It's really a gamble trying to figure out what these guys are going to turn out to be in the league. I'm not trying to make a direct comparison but what would we be saying about the "Round mound of rebound" if he were coming into the league this year?

Probably about 1/2 would be saying that he will be a force in the paint that we can't afford to pass on...other half would say he's only a thick 6'6" PF that will probably eat his way out of the league in a couple years.

See, here's more black and white thinking.

"I don't see him as a superstar, but he can be that PF off THE BENCH."

Why one or the other?

Besides, why should we be drafting this guy if you "think he can be that defensive PF off the bench"?

Who the deuce starts over Williams on our sad team?