• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks offseason blueprint...

Duff_Man

Taken from Kevin Cott's blog...

Quote:

Blueprint for the Hawks

As someone who has: (a) never been inside an NBA locker room, (b) lacks a sophisticated understanding of the salary cap and © once called DerMarr Johnson “the steal of the 2000 draft,” I can think of no one more qualified to set the Hawks’ off-season agenda than myself. I accept.

· The Draft – there are two acceptable picks here: LaMarcus Aldridge or Marcus Williams. Period. And the jury’s still out on Aldridge – he needs to wow Hawks brass in an individual workout and convince them that he can be an above-average center (not a 4) in The League for the next 10-15 years. As for Williams, he’s the only PG in the draft worth taking (except for maybe Foye) – we don’t need an athletic, converted point like Rondo or Gibson; we need a savvy, true point like Williams. Take Aldridge high, trade down for Williams, or trade the pick altogether. If Billy Knight drafts anyone that even RESEMBLES a 2 through 4, I will personally fight him to the death.

· Sign and trade Al Harrington – I like Harrington, but he’s the odd man out in the Joe/Josh Smith/Marvin wing rotation. Trade him for a big man or PG.

· Free Agency – sign a big man or PG.

Point being, this Hawks team is much closer than most think. You realize they were the only team in the NBA last year competing without either a legitimate starting 1 or 5? Turns out that it’s difficult to win with no PG and a big man rotation that prominently features Esteban Batista and the high-flying John Edwards. Forget about the Chris Paul debacle – what’s done is done. What matters is that the Hawks have a young, burgeoning superstar in Joe Johnson, an otherworldly talent in Josh Smith, a promising prospect in Marvin Williams, a bargain big man in Zaza Pachulia and capable role players in Josh Childress and Salim Stoudamire. Add just a serviceable starting PG and center next year, and you’ve got a team that can compete in the East.

It’s pretty straightforward, and the Hawks have the means to fill those needs – a lottery pick, legitimate trade bait and cap space. Now it’s up to Knight and Co. to earn their keep and get it done.

I agree with him 100%. Discuss.

Quote:

Taken from Kevin Cott's blog...

Quote:

Blueprint for the Hawks

As someone who has: (a) never been inside an NBA locker room, (b) lacks a sophisticated understanding of the salary cap and © once called DerMarr Johnson “the steal of the 2000 draft,” I can think of no one more qualified to set the Hawks’ off-season agenda than myself. I accept.

· The Draft – there are two acceptable picks here: LaMarcus Aldridge or Marcus Williams. Period. And the jury’s still out on Aldridge – he needs to wow Hawks brass in an individual workout and convince them that he can be an above-average center (not a 4) in The League for the next 10-15 years. As for Williams, he’s the only PG in the draft worth taking (except for maybe Foye) – we don’t need an athletic, converted point like Rondo or Gibson; we need a savvy, true point like Williams. Take Aldridge high, trade down for Williams, or trade the pick altogether. If Billy Knight drafts anyone that even RESEMBLES a 2 through 4, I will personally fight him to the death.

· Sign and trade Al Harrington – I like Harrington, but he’s the odd man out in the Joe/Josh Smith/Marvin wing rotation. Trade him for a big man or PG.

· Free Agency – sign a big man or PG.

Point being, this Hawks team is much closer than most think. You realize they were the only team in the NBA last year competing without either a legitimate starting 1 or 5? Turns out that it’s difficult to win with no PG and a big man rotation that prominently features Esteban Batista and the high-flying John Edwards. Forget about the Chris Paul debacle – what’s done is done. What matters is that the Hawks have a young, burgeoning superstar in Joe Johnson, an otherworldly talent in Josh Smith, a promising prospect in Marvin Williams, a bargain big man in Zaza Pachulia and capable role players in Josh Childress and Salim Stoudamire. Add just a serviceable starting PG and center next year, and you’ve got a team that can compete in the East.

It’s pretty straightforward, and the Hawks have the means to fill those needs – a lottery pick, legitimate trade bait and cap space. Now it’s up to Knight and Co. to earn their keep and get it done.

I agree with him 100%. Discuss.

Garbage. Zaza is a legitimate center, he just isn't a defensive center. We only "need" a point guard. We don't need a starting center, only adequate backup centers, and PF's.

Well like I've said before, every time they say a 7 footer is a 3/4 (Pau, Dirk...), he ends up a 4. We could use a 7 foot PF if he really does have Dirk-like potential. I would prefer a bruiser on the inside, but I don't see Shaq in this draft. Bargnani at the 4 could help if Zaza is still starting at 5. He is a good post defender apparently, and has the length to pick up help blocks.

As for Splitter, DraftExpress says he's in:

Quote:

Splitter’s American agent Herb Rudoy told DraftExpress exclusively he’s entering the draft Splitter is having a terrific season in both the ACB Spanish League and the Euroleague, but lack of buyout in his contract means he might not be able to stay in. Tau Vitoria’s president was quoted saying Splitter will be back next season.

This is the article it's referring to. I think Splitter will be in. Whether or not he can arrange a buyout is not sure, but usually when a guy wants to leave it can be done.

• Premium Member

I would like to see more specifics.

People continuously say trade Al for a Big. However, the question is which big?

Are we talking Dampiere?

Are we talking Reggie Evans?

Are we talking Emeka Okafor?

Are we talking Noicioni?

I don't know if I would take Marcus Williams. I like him plenty... However, I think if we go for a PG, we should take Brandon Roy. It has taken a lot to swing my thoughts this way. But pending workouts (which I believe will blast S. Williams toward the top of the draft board) I think that Roy has a great resume and could be a good OG to match with our other OGs.

Roy could run the floor with Both JJ and Salim is what I mean by that statement.

I think we ought to come to grips with the fact that our main need is defensive, BIG, PF. I think what put us in a the Championship picture is having a PF like Rasheed. A big long guy who can play defense and scoe when we need points. Not many names pop out at me but mainly, I can see us keeping Zaza as a starter under those conditions.

Quote:

A number of (NBA) international scouts are now speculating that Tiago Splitter's agent Herb Rudoy will decide not to place him in the 2006 draft. Splitter has entered the draft before, meaning if he puts his name in this year, there will be no pulling out. Complicating matters is the threat of a substantial buyout, which could scare teams off.

Splitter is an athletic forward with excellent length and fluidity and has shown improvement in his game this year. He gives great effort and should be solid defensively and rebounding due to his toughness. But his upside is somewhat limited due to his lack of offensive touch around the basket.

With the knowledge that he may slip into the mid-late first round, and a considerable buyout with his team Tau Vitoria, it has become apparent that Splitter will likely wait until 2007.

That came out on tuesday.

Bottom line is that tomorrow is the deadline and he hasn't declared yet.

I agree w/ alot of that, but I have a few things I do disagree with. I think if the Hawks can draft/trade/sign a PF, it will be a greater asset than a center unless you can get a difference making center and I don't see one of those available unless Wallace bolts from Detroit which is HIGHLY unlikely. Zaza is a serviceable center who can score a little and can rebound. I'm one of those who would love for the Hawks to draft Bargnani. I think Aldridge is good, but I don't think he's the "only" legitimate big man in the draft.

It makes sense that Splitter will wait until next year. Because that draft will be loaded, we will not have a pick, and we'll be screwed again ! It would be sad if a dominant center ends up in Phoenix - courtesy of Atlanta. It must be Friday, I'm in a pessimistic mood. tongue.gif

• Premium Member

Not neccessarily.

We could win the lottery and get Oden?

Our pick is top 3 protected!

So have your party on draft lottery night when they go in the backroom, close the door and pick a winner.