• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Allen Iverson wants out of Philly

Iverson's fear of police: 'I could be dead tomorrow'

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Associated Press

PHILADELPHIA -- Philadelphia 76ers guard Allen Iverson is afraid police are targeting him and he may want to leave the city, according to published reports.

"I want to be in Philadelphia, but I'm scared to be here," the NBA star told The Philadelphia Inquirer and Philadelphia Daily News in Tuesday's editions.

They were Iverson's first public comments about his off-the-court troubles last summer.

Iverson and his wife, Tawanna, gave an interview to the newspapers Monday at the 76ers' practice facility, to blunt the impact of what the couple said is an upcoming unflattering television news report on Iverson's personal life. The interview was attended by their lawyer, Larry Woodward.

"I've heard about police officers toasting to Allen Iverson's next felony conviction," Iverson said. "I'm hearing about them saying I'm involved with one thing or another, and it scares me. I know that if there's a crooked cop out there, they could do anything to me. He could do anything. Allen Iverson could wind up dead tomorrow if a crooked cop wants him dead. It's as simple as that."

During the 90-minute interview, the Iversons also denied reports of domestic abuse.

Iverson and his uncle were accused of barging into a West Philadelphia apartment on July 3 and threatening the two men inside during Iverson's search for his wife, after he kicked her out of their Main Line mansion. He was charged with several felonies, but the charges were eventually dropped.

"My husband never hit me, and he did not throw me out of the house naked," Tawanna Iverson said.

Anticipating that Philadelphia television station WXTF is planning a news segment raising questions about Iverson's lifestyle, the couple thought it was time to speak out. The NBA star had previously been advised by his lawyers to not discuss the situation.

WXTF news director Scott Matthews said it is the station's policy not to confirm or deny the content of any of its programs.

Iverson is concerned about the media attention he and his wife have gotten since last summer.

"I worry about Tawanna all the time," he said. "She rides with security before the game, after the game. There's security for 24 hours at our house."

i hate to suggest it....but what would it take to bring

Iverson to Atlanta?

We can't have Iverson here he got in a fight when he was a teen at a bowling alley. I mean that obviously makes him a thug. O yea and he also threw his wife out naked. And beat her with his new A6 shoes. "My husband never hit me, and he did not throw me out of the house naked," Tawanna Iverson said.

The media has given Iverson such a bad rap its not even funny. The worst thing about is that some people believe them religiously.

I would love have AI here and he would definitley bring the fans out. Imagine how exciting Atlanta would be with Vick and AI in the same city.

I would be willing to trade JT and Nazr and 2 first rounders for him.

I'd give them more.JT/Big Dog/two first rounders

at the very least.I am as big of a fan of JT as

any...and I honestly don't like Allen Iverson alot

because I feel his type of game has helped destroy

the nba in some ways.But we are a desperate franchise.

No to Iverson, because he demands the ball tooooo much. He wants the ball in practically every possession. When the offense is not going through him he starts stirring things up. Plus he is too much of a controversial players, I dont like players that are always in the news for the reasons he is on. So no way Jose.

And no way is Iverson worth big Dog and JT. And throw in 2 first rounders? hells no.

I don't really like Iverson either....but we have

to have get some fans in the stands and need

to do it however possible.

We got Big Dog for Toni Kukoc.Don't overrate

Big Dog's worth.

• Admin

I know the media spins a lot of crap about AI. But C'mon, this guy is NOT what you want. At least not on this team. I mean did you hear his 20 minute rant about "PRACTICE" last season? that's just childish. You think his teammates think it's COOL that he ditches practice and then jokes about it. They might not say it, because they are gutless. But you know they feel it. I don't want that guy on this team. Besides, injuries are going to ruin him. Once he loses some of his quickness he will be a forgotten superstar.

• Premium Member

JT/Big Dog to Philly.

Iverson/Snow to Atlanta.

If we had Iverson, He would have to play 2. We'd need Snow to handle the rock.

Snow/Iverson/Ira/SAR/Theo.

Automatically, we become one of the better defensive teams playing.

Iverson sucks up a lot of shots, butwith SAR there, he has somebody who can play in the post and Score.

Iverson will draw a crowd.

The only problem will be when Philly comes to town...

Tmac/Van Horn/Big Dog/Mckie/JT... Tough team.

You will see when the team is playing some where

else.Everybody laughs at us due to our lack of fans.

Besides,the only good team they beat was the Hornets

and that was on a back to back.Wins over Shaq and

Carterless teams are nothing to really brag about.

The hawks owner and GM are so stuck to the good

ole boy hilllbillish image that getting a superstar

and making big noise is a big no-no.

• Admin

You're just creeping in the bushes for something negative to happen so you can jump out and talk about how this team sucks, how reef sucks, how JT sucks, how Kruger sucks, how dion sucks, how hendu sucks, how big dog sucks...THE LIST GOES ON.

Since you went on your little crying spree about reef sucking, He's basically taken your words and shoved them down your throat. As has the team the team in general. How does it taste?

But rest assure, I'm sure they'll lose another game this season and you can start crowing about how they should all be traded for picks and the team should be sold and babcock should be beaten and and...oh you know the rest!

Why go from having three 20 ppg scorers to one 30 ppg scorer and one 20 ppg scorer? In addition, two scorers are much easier to defend than three. Besides, weren't you the one who was just saying that defense wasn't as important as offense (snicker).

As for the crowd draw, no doubt Iverson would do that but at what price to wins and losses? I'm not saying the trade is unfair. I like Iverson's game and he MAY be worth 2 players of the caliber of Big Dog and JT. That being said, I think the team we have now is better than the team that we would have if we made that trade.

I understand that AI did some things when he was young but alot of people did. He hasn't really done anything bad in 4 or 5 years IMO. He is in the media because he is big news.

Man I know this as banged up as he is most of the time he should get to rest from some of those practices, but Larry Brown isn't having that.

Iverson plays with broken limbs and has the heart of a Lion. I have never seen him back down from anyone on ther court or half a** it.

Where are you getting this notion he missed a lot of practice? From what I heard it was 1 or 2 practices. I'm willing to bet he was banged up at the time.

No on really knows how much practice he missed and I never heard Larry Brown say he missed a lot of practice.

team as much. As much as I miss having DJ around (he is probably my 2nd favorite Hawk), not having JT would be 10x worse. I would still be a Hawks fan no doubt but JT is not only a great player, he's the type of guy I love rooting for. The deal probably makes sense from a business standpoint but as a fan who loves the team whether they are up or down, I'd rather keep JT and Big Dog than trade them for Iverson. Just my personal (and yes DEFINITELY biased) opinion.

Very interesting piece on AI. I think I might read the book in it's entirety. It is amazing all the obstacles he has overcome to get to the level of success he has reached. Reading this article gives a different perspective on things from the media's typical coverage of AI. Good stuff.

http://espn.go.com/page2/s/excerpt/onlythestrong/021120.html