Who's the 5 best 'WHITE" guys in the NBA today?

OuthouseRag

Dirk Nowitzki , DAL - F 7'0"

Steve Nash , PHX - PG - 6'3"

Pau Gasol , MEM - F 7'0"

Peja Stojakovic , IND - F 6'10"

Wally Szczerbiak , BOS - F 6'7"

Prior to the draft were any of these guys considered athletic? Did any of these guys lead the county in scoring? I don't think so, but they are good pieces to their team. Now we may have a chance to get a scoring machine in Adam Morrison.

Not sure why so many people dislike Adam Morrison so much. He played on a team that had virtually no other NBA type talent and was double teamed often, especially when they had to get a shot off, yet all he did was score. You can’t beat a double team or the other teams best defender each night unless you have some ability to beat your man, which takes athletic ability.

I don't post often but I visit here 2 to 3 times a day. Last season the Hawks were in a lot of games until the end and we just didn't make the right pass or took the right shot. We have some really great athletes on the team, now we just need some BASKETBALL PLAYERS TO PUT US OVER THE HUMP.

Last question; If Al is gone - who is going to score our points? JJ is great and one of my favorite players in the league. Smooth has the potential to be really special, but not likely to happen as fast as we like, not game in and game out anyway. So, we need a scorer. We need Adam Morrison.

no.

Just no. While I do agree the Hawks need a scorer to take the pressure off of JJ, I don't think another tweener forward, this time an unathletic one is the answer.

Why are there so few American white guys who can really play? Wally, who I've never really liked, is the only one in your top 5.

Quote:

I'll put a vote in for Andrei Kirilenko. Brad Miller is a pretty solid player also.

How about the top 5 American-born White players?

Bingo.

Anyways, nothing against Morrison's race but he is absolutely the worst possible thing the Hawks could do with their pick. We're talking about a guy considered inferior athletically on the college level. THere will be an even bigger disparity at the pro level.

Did you know Adam Morrison is such a terrible/lazy defender that his team had to basically call a zone defense just so he couldn't be exposed? What do you thinks going to happen if Morrison guards the likes of the ridiculously athletic swingmen in the NBA? All he would do is put more pressure on our inept front court.

There's a great article on Morrison at ESPN.com. Morrison

It makes me really root for the guy, as he is obviously an extremely hard worker who is trying really hard to improve his weaknesses (especially defensively) heading into the draft, and he's taking the whole predraft process very, very seriously. He's working his tail off.

It'll be interesting to see how his individual workouts go. Tomorrow he gets an opportunity to go one on one with Rodney Carney (a player he schooled in college) in Charlotte, and according to the article he really wants to and probably will get the opportunity to go head to head against Rudy Gay (another guy whose team he schooled in college) in workouts for both Toronto and Portland, and possibly for Chicago.

So he's obviously not afraid of competition, in fact he looks for it. It just sounds to me like overall he's got an excellent attitude and a really good head on his shoulders, and I LOVE the fact he works as hard as he does. No coasting with this dude, whoever gets him is never gonna have to worry about whether they drafted a lazy player.

Quote:

So he's obviously not afraid of competition, in fact he looks for it. It just sounds to me like overall he's got an excellent attitude and a really good head on his shoulders, and I LOVE the fact he works as hard as he does.

Am I the only one who can't shake the image of him crying on the court with time left on the clock?

Quote:

There's a great article on Morrison at ESPN.com.
Morrison

It makes me really root for the guy, as he is obviously an extremely hard worker who is trying really hard to improve his weaknesses (especially defensively) heading into the draft, and he's taking the whole predraft process very, very seriously. He's working his tail off.

It'll be interesting to see how his individual workouts go. Tomorrow he gets an opportunity to go one on one with Rodney Carney (a player he schooled in college) in Charlotte, and according to the article he really wants to and probably will get the opportunity to go head to head against Rudy Gay (another guy whose team he schooled in college) in workouts for both Toronto and Portland, and possibly for Chicago.

So he's obviously not afraid of competition, in fact he looks for it. It just sounds to me like overall he's got an excellent attitude and a really good head on his shoulders, and I LOVE the fact he works as hard as he does. No coasting with this dude, whoever gets him is never gonna have to worry about whether they drafted a lazy player.

Well I'd love to see him go up against Gay who has called him out.

It's a win-win situation for the Hawks, because either one of these guys going before we pick means somebody is falling our way. If they both went before we picked, then that would just be too good to be true.

Quote:

Am I the only one who can't shake the image of him crying on the court with time left on the clock?

No you're not. That's an image that a lot of people think of Adam Morrison as. It's somewhat indelible, and it's something he's going to have to live with. But he's not ashamed of it, and it really doesn't bother me that much.

A lot of people who are intensely competitive and highly motivated also share the trait of wearing their emotions right out there on their sleeve for all the world to see. He was exhausted, incredibly disappointed and just lost control of his emotions to the point that it moved him to tears. There's no crime in that. He is after all still just a kid, or a very young man- and to me it highlights the fact that he is as competitive as he is.

Quote:

for that reason, im a FAN. Whether or not i want him on our team is irrelevant. I want the best player on our team and if hes that PLAYER and i see him on draft night wearing a hawks hat, i want be mad.

We are so far away from serious competition, we need the best player PERIOD.

while hes not the athlete u'd like in a NBA player, he has all the other tools that will help him be successful in the league. Magic Johnson & Reggie Miller werent all that athletic either. I think his WILL/DESIRE to win games (as long as he doesnt pull a RON ARTEST) will give him the edge to compete at this level.

what i know for sure is that he wont have a hard time getting his shot off in the NBA. He will score and score plenty (how much just depends on which team he plays for).

last thing id want is an athletic freak w/ no basketball skills (ex- Darvin Ham).

whoever i pick, i could care less. i dont know these players as well as KNIGHT. whoever he picks, ill give him benefit of the doubt. i trust him; hes drafted well thus far.

as long as i see improvement next year in the W-L column, im happy.

Quote:

Dirk Nowitzki , DAL - F 7'0"

Steve Nash , PHX - PG - 6'3"

Pau Gasol , MEM - F 7'0"

Peja Stojakovic , IND - F 6'10"

Wally Szczerbiak , BOS - F 6'7"

Prior to the draft were any of these guys considered athletic? Did any of these guys lead the county in scoring? I don't think so, but they are good pieces to their team. Now we may have a chance to get a scoring machine in Adam Morrison.

Not sure why so many people dislike Adam Morrison so much. He played on a team that had virtually no other NBA type talent and was double teamed often, especially when they had to get a shot off, yet all he did was score. You can’t beat a double team or the other teams best defender each night unless you have some ability to beat your man, which takes athletic ability.

I don't post often but I visit here 2 to 3 times a day. Last season the Hawks were in a lot of games until the end and we just didn't make the right pass or took the right shot. We have some really great athletes on the team, now we just need some BASKETBALL PLAYERS TO PUT US OVER THE HUMP.

Last question; If Al is gone - who is going to score our points? JJ is great and one of my favorite players in the league. Smooth has the potential to be really special, but not likely to happen as fast as we like, not game in and game out anyway. So, we need a scorer. We need Adam Morrison.

I am surprised that Joel Pryzbilla isn't on the list, since 90% of this board wants to add him in the offseason.

Quote:

Quote:

for that reason, im a FAN. Whether or not i want him on our team is irrelevant. I want the best player on our team and if hes that PLAYER and i see him on draft night wearing a hawks hat, i want be mad.

We are so far away from serious competition, we need the best player PERIOD.

while hes not the athlete u'd like in a NBA player, he has all the other tools that will help him be successful in the league. Magic Johnson & Reggie Miller werent all that athletic either. I think his WILL/DESIRE to win games (as long as he doesnt pull a RON ARTEST) will give him the edge to compete at this level.

what i know for sure is that he wont have a hard time getting his shot off in the NBA. He will score and score plenty (how much just depends on which team he plays for).

last thing id want is an athletic freak w/ no basketball skills (ex- Darvin Ham).

whoever i pick, i could care less. i dont know these players as well as KNIGHT. whoever he picks, ill give him benefit of the doubt. i trust him; hes drafted well thus far.

as long as i see improvement next year in the W-L column, im happy.

Magic was a 6'9 point. Thats pretty atletic,imo. Reggie being one of the most accomplished shooters to ever play was underrated athletically.

some of you against wanting an Adam Morrison must be smoking that rock..Although he's not what we need here (we need a big man and another point), any team will be lucky to draft him. He has the looks of a DEFINITE all-star. His bust potential is really low. The guy is all basketball and hard work.

His defense will be worked on until he is a good-enough defender. Ray Allen, Dirk Novitski, Steve Nash, Richard Hamilton, these are all good-enough defenders. You don't have to be allworld in defense to work in the NBA. As long as you don't suck completely.

The only way I could see him fitting on this team however is as a shooting guard with JJ staying at the point. The fact that Morrison is not uber-athletic means nothing, we already have one of the most athletic teams in the league, having one guy who fills it up but isn't super athletic will not hurt.

Whats funny is that when Steve Nash was with Dallas and coming into the free agent market, many people here said they didn't want him because he wasn't athletic enough and his defense wasnt good enough. Right now most here would kill to have him running our team.

Quote:

some of you against wanting an Adam Morrison must be smoking that rock..Although he's not what we need here (we need a big man and another point), any team will be lucky to draft him. He has the looks of a DEFINITE all-star. His bust potential is really low. The guy is all basketball and hard work.

Definite all-star? Looks like you're the one smoking the rock. His bust potential is high. He has Keith Van Horn written all over him.

Quote:

His defense will be worked on until he is a good-enough defender. Ray Allen, Dirk Novitski, Steve Nash, Richard Hamilton, these are all good-enough defenders. You don't have to be allworld in defense to work in the NBA. As long as you don't suck completely.

Considering his team was forced to play zone defense so he couldn't be exposed defensively at the COLLEGE level, I think it's fair to say he isn't exactly a serviceable defender. You mention Ray Allen and Rip Hamilton. These guys are much more athletic than Morrison. DIrk? He's 7 feet tall and he isn't defending swingmen. Neither is Steve Nash.

Quote:

The only way I could see him fitting on this team however is as a shooting guard with JJ staying at the point. The fact that Morrison is not uber-athletic means nothing, we already have one of the most athletic teams in the league, having one guy who fills it up but isn't super athletic will not hurt.

It means nothing? It means everything. I know plenty of people that can shoot the lights out of basketball in a pickup game. Why aren't they in the NBA? Because they aren't ATHLETIC enough. If you're going to tell me you don't need athletcism to play the 2 guard you are fooling yourself. WHat 2 guard is Morrison going to defend without athleticism. He would only expose our interior D even more by getting completely blown by every time.

Quote:

Whats funny is that when Steve Nash was with Dallas and coming into the free agent market, many people here said they didn't want him because he wasn't athletic enough and his defense wasnt good enough. Right now most here would kill to have him running our team.

Yeah keep using that Steve Nash comparison. Where was Phoenix ranked defensively? There is a reason why they rely so heavily on their offense. That is not the type of system that BK is trying to build here. He wants guys capable of playing on both ends of the floor.

i'm not even going to argue with you because you've already got your mind made up that he's keith van horn...van horn isn't even a 1/5th as emotional and highoctane as morrison and that makes all the difference in the world.

Larry Bird was not athletic. Heck, Magic Johnson was not athletic.

It's funny because i've heard arguments that the most important thing a shooting guard has to do, is shoot. Again granted, Morrison is more of a SF but to me he's a reggie miller type player (another nonathletic player).

We'll see.