• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Harrington trade restrictions..

drzachary

Basically, I'm an idiot. Can someone explain to me when and how Harrington can be traded? Can he be signed and traded for picks and a player before the draft? Can he only be signed and traded after a certain date?

One of you great wise men(or women?), please educate a wayward soul.

Quote:

The draft's on June 28th, and He can't be traded until July 12th, so trading him for picks is out of the question.

Ahh, since he has to be signed, and signing can't be done before then. It all makes sense now. Nice sig btw.

• Premium Member

You have to look at the Steve Francis trade a little more closely. I want to say that Micheal Dickerson was a FA SNT in that deal. They got Dickerson/Harrington/1st... Well, maybe not.

See, I thought about Steve Francis too because he was the only player I could remember that was traded after the draft. I know transaction dates for draft night trades happen later, but the actual agreements are struck on draft night.

I can't even think of an agreement, apart from Francis, that happend after draft night.

• Premium Member

There are a lot of them actually, but most of them are minor...

We've done it a few times.. but mostly with internationals.

Like:

We draft Arvydas Sabonis in 1985. (Imagine him and Nique on the same team)... We traded his rights to PTL some time later.

We drafted Eftimos (I can't remember his first name). We traded his rights to Philly.

We drafted Alaine Digbeau.. I think we traded him to Denver.

Yes, you can trade draft rights, and you can draft for another team and trade the rights after, but you can't do that involving soon to be free agents. It is illegal right now for any team to negotiate with Harrington, and since you can't sign and trade a player without his permission, including him in any deal involving picks in this years draft.

• Premium Member

I think it's also important to note that Harrington counts about $10.5M against the Hawks' cap space until he is either traded or re-signed.

So, trades for guys with large salaries like Chandler or Dalembert cannot be completed unless Harrington first signs elsewhere or is included in the trade (a S&T).

In other words, Harrington is the Hawks' first offseason priority (after the draft, of course).

Quote:

Yes, you can trade draft rights, and you can draft for another team and trade the rights after, but you can't do that involving soon to be free agents. It is illegal right now for any team to negotiate with Harrington, and since you can't sign and trade a player without his permission, including him in any deal involving picks in this years draft.

Exactly, this is what I'm saying is unprecedented.

I think Francis was the last lottery pick who had his rights traded after the draft, and that was how long ago? I just wanted to point out how unique of a situation it is so people will stop posting trades involving Al and the draft.