• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

What the Hawks must do to win tonight.

Diesel

• Premium Member

We need a big game from Terry and Theo.

We have to be able to score in the post. I'm not too worried about SAR. He can score over Walker rather easily, but scoring over Battie will be a hard job. However, if Theo can be active in the post, he will cause problems for the Boston Celtics defense.

Also Defensively, Terry has to make his presence known. NO way should he be run over by Williams or Delk.

I figure Ira will have his hands full with Pierce and that Grob might play against Walker some. Leaving the post defense to SAR/Theo. We have to hold down the post scoring. I expect Boston to do a lot of outside shooting, but if we can contain the post, I think we will win!

• Premium Member

I don't mind a team shooting from outside as long as they are shut down inside. Good Basketball tactics says that if you have a team shooting from outside, they are shooting the lower percentage shot. Being that Boston is not a great defensive team, I believe we can allow them to shoot from outside and shut down everything inside and beat them in an offensive game.

The problem occurs when they shoot from outside and open the inside for Battie, Baker, and Pierce to do work.

Both Delk and Williams had over 20 points against the Nets and they shot a combined 15 of 20 from the field while being defended by Kidd. That is impressive. If JT doesn't come to play, one or both of those guys could make it a long night for us.

I think the key is that we have to come out in attack mode and stay in attack mode for 48 minutes. Boston is a good team and Boston is always a tough place to play. If we come out flat like we did against Minnesota, it could be a long night. I don't think that will happen though. I look for us to come out with a strong effort tonight and maybe even come up with the upset on the road.

• Premium Member

Newble will get the starting Node on Pierce. That's good. IF he plays Pierce the way he plays, then We can maintain one on one coverage on everyone else. That means NO open Looks. Especially if Big Dog follows Walker around.

You are correct though, JT needs to be ready and Big Dog too. However, I think that SAR/Theo should shut down the middle...

This could be a game where Hendu sees a lot of minutes because of his defense and rebounding.

• Admin

on how a particular player performs. That's not to say that if Big Dog stinks it up, we will win. But rather to say, I think our guys are good enough at this point that and match up well enough that they can compete with most anyone.

I think it's going to come down to coaching. Lon has lost us some games this season with his poor substitutions. IMO he lost the Twolves game for us. We were matching up well with a good team through one quarter and he goes and makes wholesale lineup changes. Only one starter left on the floor. That's madness!!

I had given him credit over the last few games for becoming someone consistant with his subs. He hadn't made any wholesale changes for a few games. But man, when I saw that lineup walking onto the court to start the 2nd. It was like watching hulk hogan give a flying elbow off the top rope, in slow motion. I knew we were dead.

If he manages the game right I think we'll be fine. We've got players that will deliver. He's just got to manage then properly.

3-2 zone, with Theo and Ira helping Reef and Grob double up on Walker and Pierce. Make Battie and Williams take the shots. Jt can't camp on another scrub PG and get taken like that. Our bench needs to play team ball, bring-it-up-and-pass-to-the-right isn't a gameplan and making Dion create his own shot or manufacture open looks for others won't work every time down the floor. Most important though is bringing the energy that was conserved during the Wolves game the other night.

3-2 Zone? are you kidding? Did you not just read what Delk and Williams shot from the field against the Nets?

Granted you can't expect them to have such performances every night, but Boston's a team that's built on outside shooting (and slashing) - why would you play a zone against them? They're all shooters and with no inside presence.

They pass well enough, shoot well enough, and slash well enough...if you zone them, they'll burn you. play 'em straight up with some weakside defensive help/ rotations when needed - what we do best anyhow.

Don't give Tony Delk any open chances to shoot...NONE

Tony Delk will be a key factor.If he goes off we are in

trouble.He must be kept in check....Ira has to do the

best he can do on Paul Pierce.

Alot Brien might try Baker on Theo figuring Baker can

push Theo around inside.

tonight wasn't Krugers fault.It was Big Dog and Shareef;s choke job.airballs and turnovers.I will fault Lon when it is

deserved,but I don't think he done a terrible job tonight.

Tonight was a pure choke job.You could sense it coming

at the end of the 3rd.