• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Sene

GMyrberg

That was one of the longest highlight videos I have seen. The thing i really noticed is that he hustles, going for steals and even diving on the floor a couple of times for loose balls. He doesn't shy away from contact at all and looks like he has the frame to put on weight easily.

There is no denying his talent, and while the Hawks have said they want someone with experience I think that is more important for whoever they bring in to play the point.

He also timed faster than Aldridge in the sprint and was only .07 slower than Simmons. That 9'5" standing reach is nice too.

If the Hawks trade down and pick Sene I would have no problem with it. I think he is worth the risk.

I've read a lot of posts saying "we don't need another project", but this guy is not as raw as he's been made out to be. Sure, he's only played 2 years, but he has great fundamental timing on blocks and rebounds. Add to that his extraordinary length, and you've got a solid contributor for a team with pitiful interior defense. The upside is just gravy. He is very athletic and moves up and down the court extremely well. He would be a beast in transition. No, it doesn't look like he has much of a post-up game at this point, but so what?

I'm not saying we should take him 5th, but I would be thrilled if we could trade down to pick up Sene and Rondo in this draft. I want both these guys, but 5th is much too high for either one.

Great video. Of course they only show us the good stuff. But I love seeing him dive to the floor and lead the fast break. I'll take him over Shelden. As someone else said he has more skills than I expected - not such a project.

Quote:

I've read a lot of posts saying "we don't need another project", but this guy is not as raw as he's been made out to be. Sure, he's only played 2 years, but he has great fundamental timing on blocks and rebounds. Add to that his extraordinary length, and you've got a solid contributor for a team with pitiful interior defense. The upside is just gravy. He is very athletic and moves up and down the court extremely well. He would be a beast in transition. No, it doesn't look like he has much of a post-up game at this point, but so what?

I'm not saying we should take him 5th, but I would be thrilled if we could trade down to pick up Sene and Rondo in this draft. I want both these guys, but 5th is much too high for either one.

This post is right on the money. As far as him being "raw", if anything he's raw on the offensive end. But the last time I checked we don't exactly need any more offense. THe last time I checked we lost games because of our inability to stop anyone down low, we lost games because of inability to get defensive boards, and we lost games because of help defense inside leading to kickout for open 3s.

Getting a defensive juggernaut on the inside can take care of all 3 of those problems. Im going to go out on a limb and say right now Saer Sene is every bit as good as DeSagana Diop. Right off the bat he'll have the longest wingspan in the NBA with his ridiculous 7'8.5" wing span.

Did Olowokandi or Priest Lauderdale have a wing span like that? No. Neither did they play with Sene's defensive intensity and neither did they run the floor as well as he does. To put things into perspective, he's faster than Adam Morrison. Sure Morrison isn't exactly the fastest guy in the world but let's just say Sene is one of the fastest big men in this draft. He is not a stiff. HE's an athletic freak of nature ready to contribute defensively for any team in this league. But unfortunately in a league that only glorifies offensive production, he'll never be drafted 5th overall even though he fits our scheme perfectly with his ability to run the floor.

this is exactly it

kandiman, curry, kwame, etc's ATTITUDE and DESIRE and HEART kept them from being good players

everything points to Sene being the opposite of those guys in terms of those 3 important things

i'd LOVE to get sene

if we could just trade for 12/15 and get sene/rondo i'd be ecstatic

Quote:

Quote:

This post is right on the money. As far as him being "raw", if anything he's raw on the offensive end. But the last time I checked we don't exactly need any more offense. THe last time I checked we lost games because of our inability to stop anyone down low, we lost games because of inability to get defensive boards, and we lost games because of help defense inside leading to kickout for open 3s.

Getting a defensive juggernaut on the inside can take care of all 3 of those problems. Im going to go out on a limb and say right now Saer Sene is every bit as good as DeSagana Diop. Right off the bat he'll have the longest wingspan in the NBA with his ridiculous 7'8.5" wing span.

Did Olowokandi or Priest Lauderdale have a wing span like that? No. Neither did they play with Sene's defensive intensity and neither did they run the floor as well as he does. To put things into perspective, he's faster than Adam Morrison. Sure Morrison isn't exactly the fastest guy in the world but let's just say Sene is one of the fastest big men in this draft. He is not a stiff. HE's an athletic freak of nature ready to contribute defensively for any team in this league. But unfortunately in a league that only glorifies offensive production, he'll never be drafted 5th overall even though he fits our scheme perfectly with his ability to run the floor.

Wingspan? Dude Priest Lauderdale was 7'4 300lbs

Quote:

Great video. Of course they only show us the good stuff. But I love seeing him dive to the floor and lead the fast break. I'll take him over Shelden. As someone else said he has more skills than I expected - not such a project.

What would be great would be if BK could figure a way to trade one of our redundant pieces and get both Shelden AND Sene. Solid immediate help in the paint + serious potential. That would be a dream draft. Sene could learn his post moves from an experienced "Landlord" (Lord knows there isn't likely anybody currently in the Hawks organization that we would want tutoring him).

• Moderators

Don't Sene's numbers from last year make it clear that he is incredibly raw and not ready to really contribute to an NBA team or am I just mis-remembering them as being pathetic in a subpar league?

Quote:

What would be great would be if BK could figure a way to trade one of our redundant pieces and get both Shelden AND Sene.

So you'd be willing to give up Smoove to get both Shelden and Sene? Not me. I kind of like Smoove - almost as much as Marvin.

But if Sene is really the guy we want, just take him at 5 and be sure you get him. Otherwise you trade down and just get another end-of-the-bench player to make up the difference. Too bad we didn't make the AL for a pick trade earlier in the season instead of procrastinating.

Quote:

...So you'd be willing to give up Smoove to get both Shelden and Sene? Not me. I kind of like Smoove - almost as much as Marvin...

No - definitely not. I didn't word that right and should have been more specific. I'd give up Salim to move up and get a 7 footer with a chance at being a serious inside presence down the road.

Quote:

He was also a 7'4 300 pound stiff. Sene is a lean, mean shot blocking machine. There is no comparison in the athleticism or the effort.

I think the point everyone was making was that there have been a lot of 7' piles of turkey dung drafted who didn't make it because of a lack of heart or effort or ... But that does not seem to be the case for Sene. If he has the body and desire, good coaches can teach him the skills. I would not be disappointed if we got him.

Its the Priests and Kwames with the body and limited skills, but no desire that will fail. I hate to mention him but Morrison is an example of what an desire can do for a mediocre athlete.

Quote:

How do we know he has heart? Because of highlights? Everybody looks good in highlights. I remember seeing those highlights of Shawn Bradley and I thought that he was the most awesome center I have ever seen.

No how about people who are actually paid to scout him that know more about basketball than you or me can see his work ethic beyond a video on youtube. How about the fact that you guys are comparing him to busts like Olowokandi when none of these guys have had the athleticism he has tested out in these drills. Close to a 7'9 wing span and the guy runs the floor better than just about every big man in this draft.

But go ahead and deem every prospect that is not being thrown into your face on ESPN as a bust.

Well, I don't KNOW anything in this draft except where the players are from and their measurements. I think pretty much the rest of it is speculation for everyone. Here's my judgment about the elusive nature of "heart" (especially referencing Sene): It takes heart to make dramatic improvment in a short period of time; it takes some internal motivation to play aggressive defense at all, much less to block shots and rebound; going to the floor when you're seven feet tall (not falling to the floor) shows something; and a coach (yeah, I got the possible bias angle) who says you have a "golden heart" probably figures in the mix a bit. Haven't many wise people said it's defense that takes effort? Notice, even most of the posters who knock Shelden stay far away from the issue of whether he has heart or plays hard. I think the issue for Sene isn't about drafting him--it's mostly about where to draft him. Wouldn't it be sweet if we could wrangle an extra 1st round pick (especially without giving up the 33rd) so we could fill a couple of needs without having to reach, which seems to be the biggest knock on several players.