What should we realistically expect from Marvin...

DavidSomerset

15 and 7 is a realistic expectation for Marvin. Over the last three months of the season, Marvin was averaging right at 15.4 P/40 and 7.1 R40 while shooting 45% and getting to the free throw line a lot. If he is given starters minutes, 15 and 7 will probably be the low end of what he will do.

Quote:

...If he is given starters minutes, 15 and 7 will probably be the low end of what he will do.

Do you really think Marvin will be our starting 3 next year?

Even if we get a PG - if we start

Best PG we can get

JJ

Marvin

Smoove

Zaza

We would be looking at 26 wins again.

Quote:

Quote:

...If he is given starters minutes, 15 and 7 will probably be the low end of what he will do.

Do you really think Marvin will be our starting 3 next year?

Even if we get a PG - if we start

Best PG we can get

JJ

Marvin

Smoove

Zaza

We would be looking at 26 wins again.

I disagree. The only way we are back at 26 is if Marvin Smoove, and Zaza didn't improve one iota in the offseason, and if they didn't, it doesn't matter who we add in FA, we are going to stink. I have more faith than that.

Well I'm not saying there won't be improvement on the part of MW and JS...but will it overcome losing Al's offense? Al's offensive post moves are dismissed on this board as just so much of nothing, but at least he is a scorer down low. If we lose him and our only real help we get is a PG we are still going to get killed in the paint and will score even less there. That would be a tough situation.

Quote:

15 and 7 is a realistic expectation for Marvin. Over the last three months of the season, Marvin was averaging right at 15.4 P/40 and 7.1 R40 while shooting 45% and getting to the free throw line a lot. If he is given starters minutes, 15 and 7 will probably be the low end of what he will do.

40 minutes a game isn't starters minutes, those are superstar's minutes. Only 9 players last year averaged over 40 mpg. A more realistic mpg for a starter is between 30-35 and I think Marvin could put in those minutes. But it is way too early to project his points and rebounds when we don't know if Al will return or any other roster changes.

Quote:

i think the loss of Al will be counteracted (HOPEFULLY) by the defense of our new big man

I believe that can happen DH. The discussion was about Marvin getting "starter minutes" however. That lead me to believe that the expectation was that Marvin would be our starting 3 next year and JS our starting 4. Since there aren't any dominant bigmen that we can get at the 5 spot in the draft that would likely outplay Zaza next year, that would mean our front line would have to be MW/JS/Zaza for the sake of this arguement. That's what I would see as trouble.

I'm pretty sure it's not going to happen though.

Don't get me wrong. Al Harrington is a very good offensive player in the low post, and he's got decent range. He can't do much off the dribble, but he's a very solid player. Al Harrington needs to be on a team that will play him as a power oriented small forward though. When he's at power foward, his defensive liabilities are exploited.

The direction the Hawks have chosen in their rebuiding relative to the type of team they want doesn't leave much room for Al long term. He's basically without a position in Atlanta, and long term, he would probably be more of a sixth man with the way this team is being structured. The Hawks could have chosen to build the team a different way, had they decided to use Al Harrington as more of a power oriented small forward. They have chosen to be more of an athletic, get up and down the floor team instead of being a power oriented team.

Quote:

but will it overcome losing Al's offense? Al's offensive post moves are dismissed on this board as just so much of nothing, but at least he is a scorer down low.

When Al was out, either missing game or taking extended breaks during games, the Hawks didn't have much trouble scoring. Al was out during the Hawks biggest scoring game of the season. And the Hawks went on consistent runs when Al went to the bench.

The big reasons were;

-better defense. stops and turnovers leading to fast breaks.

-much quicker ball movement resulting in better looks.

-more off the ball movement among the players, since it is hard to get a lot of movement when one guy is pounding the ball into the floor.

-the young guys looking to score instead of deferring to Al.

Guest Walter

Quote:

Next season???

I would be happy with 15 pts and 7 or 8 rebs, don't know if he can do that though.

Will he be starting next year, also?

MW not be able to match Al's contribution (and shouldn't be able to at this time), nor with he or JS remotely have MW post-up game. This team will struggle without it. Unless our draft pick or a player traded for Al makes up for the loss, even MW playing better won't make us better.

I predict 13 points, 6.5 rebounds a game in 28-32 MPG.

W

Guest Walter

Quote:

we'll be fine without al

we did very well in points-in-paint in games al didn't play and we scored very well both last year and the previous year when al/toine were both out

...but nobody save JJ wants the ball and knows what to do with it the way Al did (poor shot selection and TOs aside). That will come with time but perhaps not next season. "We'll be fine" doesn't sound all too encouraging regardless.

My opinion is well known. I think this team is very flawed even to the point of being a Frankenstein team. Far too many skill sets and positions are lacking or unfilled in favor of redundancy and we simply lack a superstar. That will continue to play out on the court.

W