• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Big men in draft

DrReality

Mobility is a skill that is being more sought after in big men as teams go to small ball. This is from Fox on top centers, plus the 6'10" kid from England and others who might be a good second round pick.

You don't neccessarily have to be a seven-footer who rarely strays from beyond the low post to be considered a "center" in the NBA these days. That philosophy is reflected in a list of the top post players that will be selected in Wednesday night's NBA Draft.

The breed of NBA cat once called "center" has changed considerably since the days when the prerequisites for the position included being something close to 7-feet tall with offensive and defensive skills being almost entirely low-post in orientation.

Also...

BURLISON: Look at guards

BURLISON: Look at forwards

So, for definitions sake, we're acknowledging the evolution and are now listing what everyone used to refer to as "centers" as "posts."

These are guys who will be capable of playing down low "in the painted era" (apologies to Hubie Brown) or in the high post region.

And here is how we rate the top 15 of the "hybrids" in this draft pool, with a handful of other candidates who could be selected in the second round (one or two of which could sneak into the first) Wednesday night.

The best of the bunch is, without much dissent to be found, LaMarcus Aldridge of Texas. And if the Raptors don't make Italy's Andrea Bargnani the No. 1 overall pick, Aldridge could very easily end up going there instead.

(*Heights, without shoes, and weights as measured during the Pre-Draft Camp in Orlando)

LaMarcus Aldridge (*6-10, 234) Texas

Projected position: Power forward/Center

What NBA talent evaluators like: He's by far the most gifted 6-10-plus player in this draft pool, with the tools to be a double-figure rebounder and 15-point-per-game scorer very early into his NBA career. He's also got the best opportunity among prospects of his size in this draft class to be an all-star. He is skilled enough to be every bit as affective from the high or low posts.

What they wonder about: Can he hold up against the pounding he'll take, especially inside the lane? How quickly can he polish his low-post offensive repertoire?

Frank says: If healthy, he might have been a top three selection in the 2005 draft.

Draft night projection: No. 1 or 2

Tyrus Thomas (*6-7 1/4, 217) LSU

Projected position: Power forward

Many NBA teams are smiling about the prospect of drafting LSU's Tyrus Thomas. (Streeter Lecka / Getty Images)

What NBA talent evaluators like: Vertically, he's easily the most explosive of the post prospects in this draft. He constantly plays well above the rim, even in traffic, and pursues rebounds as well as anyone who'll be drafted Wednesday night.

What they wonder about: How quickly can he add the bulk to battle with NBA power forwards as a rookie? How long will it take for him to develop the offensive fundamentals he's lacking right now?

Frank says: His regional play against Duke and Texas was phenomenal.

Draft night projection: Top six

Shelden Williams (*6-7 1/2, 258) Duke

What NBA talent evaluators like: Williams is by far the most polished post prospect in the draft and the one most physically able to withstand the low-post punishment — while doling out plenty of his own — from Day 1 in the NBA.

What they wonder about: Despite his strength and power, he is not particularly explosive and often struggled to score against taller defenders in college.

Frank says: He might not ever be an all-star but he could evolve into a consistent 12-point, eight-rebound per night contributor.

Draft night projection: No. 5 to 8

Patrick O'Bryant (*6-11, 249) Bradley

Projected position: Center

What NBA talent evaluators like: He's got "true center" dimensions, better-than-average athletic ability and considers himself a center, unlike so many 6-10 and 6-11 guys who aspire to play on the wings. He's got the frame to carry another 20 or so pounds quite easily.

What they wonder about: Jim Les did a nice job with him in two years in Peoria but he is still lacking in basketball polish. And his instincts aren't as pronounced as most of the other fellows who will be lottery selections Wednesday.

Frank says: I'm not sure he's a better prospect than Hilton Armstrong but the consensus is that he will be selected before the Connecticut player is.

Draft night projection: Nine to 14

Joel Freeland (6-11, 230)

What NBA talent evaluators like: His stock rose immensely after his recent performance in the Reebok Camp in Italy. He's a bouncy and aggressive athlete who, because of his age and lack of experience, could evolve into a center with perimeter skills some day.

What they wonder about: He didn't play against a high level of competition in Europe (he's from England) and seems like a guy destined to spend some more time seasoning overseas (or in the Development League) before becoming a factor in the NBA.

Frank says: Like Mouhamed Saer Sene, he can almost be looked upon as being on par with some of the elite U.S. high school players of the class of 2006 — he's only 19.

Draft night projection: First 10 selections in second round

Ryan Hollins (7-0, 240) UCLA

Projected position: Center/Power forward

What NBA talent evaluators like: His length (one of the catchwords of 21st century basketball scouting) and running and jumping ability are every bit the equal of any of the guys who will be selected long before he is. His post moves are still a bit mechanical but showed considerable improvement over his senior season.

What they wonder about: Is he more of a "big track and field athlete" as opposed to "a future starting NBA center?" He can get frustrated rather easily.

Frank says: He finally played like a consistently forceful college center for the final two months of his career.

Draft night projection: 22 to early second round

Josh Boone (6-9, 235) Connecticut

What NBA talent evaluators like: On his best nights, he's springy, active and as good a combination of shot blocker/rebounder as there is in the draft pool. He plays within the limitation of his offensive skills.

What they wonder about: Why didn't he have more "best nights" this past season after looking like the lottery was definitely in his future as a freshman and sophomore? Can he score on more than just dunks and layups?

Frank says: He's the definition of a "perplexing prospect" but it's still difficult to envision Boone not being chosen in the first round.

Draft night projection: 23 to early second round

Paul Davis (6-9 1/2, 240) Michigan State

What NBA talent evaluators like: His offensive polish and versatility is superior to that of nearly every other power forward prospect that will be chosen Wednesday night. And those who don't think he's an exceptional runner should recalibrate their stop watches.

What they wonder about: Like Josh Boone, he, too, often seems like anything but a "high-energy" guy. And he seemed to hang his head a bit at times, as well.

Frank says: Combine his offensive know-how with Tyrus Thomas' athletic ability and determination and, voila! Rookie of the Year!

Draft night projection: 23 to early second round

James Augustine (*6-8 1/4, 227) Illinois

What NBA talent evaluators like: Thanks to the time he spent with Deron Williams and Dee Brown, he's got pick-and-roll and pick-and-pop offense mastered. He runs very well and is among the better passers among post prospects.

What they wonder about: Can he be physical enough to rebound against NBA power forwards? Can he create offense off the dribble on the wing?

Frank says: He was under-appreciated in some media circles during his four years in college. But NBA scouts definitely have an appreciation of his skills.

Draft night projection: 23 in first round to first 10 picks, second round

Good article.

I do disagree with a couple of points though. First, I don't think Aldridge is a double digit rebounder. He may be in time, but he's going to have to change his game to become a consistent double digit rebounder. He's soft, and soft players aren't going to dominate the boards.

Also, if Shelden Williams doesn't do anything else, that guy is going to be a very good rebounder in the NBA. It will not surprise me to see him put up similar numbers as a rookie that Emeka Okafor put up.

I think he can be a good rebounder. You're right that he's somewhat soft, but he's got great hands and is tall. You look at a guy like Camby with a very similar frame who is about equally soft in my book. It took him a few years, but he's gotten double digit rebounding 5 of the past 6 years

The longer I have to wait for the draft to get here, the more I'm happy with selecting Shelden, even with Aldridge still on the board. I've been getting a bad feeling on Aldridge, I think he might bust. For me, it's becoming Shelden if we go big and either Foye or Rondo if we go small.

Well, there's no doubt that LaMarcus has the physical skills to do it. I simply question the mentality. Marcus Camby may have been labeled a soft player early in his career, but when he was at UMass, he played with an edge and a meaness that I haven't seen from LaMarcus. If LaMarcus developes a killer instinct and doesn't have any long term problems from his back and hip issues, he could be a monster in the NBA.

Go to the web site. They listed all of them, but I didn't include those who would unlikely be drafted by us.

I think Camby has more attitude than Aldridge. And I too think Sheldon is the right guy to help make our other young guys better this year instead of waiting.

I don't think that Aldridge will be a bust. He is just a higher health risk than a top 5 draft choice should be. A team may roll the dice with him and get lucky. In that case, the rest of the league will look foolish for not drafting him.

The Hawks are mired in deep uncertainties. The last thing the club needs is to take a gamble on greatness this high in the draft. BK needs to draft a certain contributor. As far as the bigs go, Sheldon is that player.

Thanks, at least it was'nt an oversight.

I too have no problem with Sheldon, I do not care where the mocks have him. He is pretty athletic for as big as he is, I am also inclined to think that the standing reach number is incorrect.

As far as Aldridge is concerned, something just does not click with him. I know their PG made everybody on the team look bad, but Aldridge could have helped that situation by taking more of a leadership role.