• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

RONDO FONDO

Johnnybravo4

Luke Winn just became one of my favorite writers. And since I love to take stabs at players that I don't like..without further ado.....

CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP

OVERRATED: Rajon Rondo, 6-1, PG, Kentucky, Soph.

(Stock status: first round, 15-20)

Rondo is the equivalent of an NFL prospect who runs a 4.2 in the combine 40 and sees his draft value skyrocket. His private workouts have been so stellar that NBA teams are overlooking the volumes of Kentucky tape that suggest he is not a first-round-worthy point guard. Scouts say things like, Rondo was misused in a down-tempo offense. He's lightning quick and speed kills in the new NBA. Rondo has Spiderman arms and he'll be a stud defender. All of those things are true, to a degree. But so are these: A good point guard's most vital attribute is that he makes a team click on offense -- even a mediocre team like the Wildcats were in '05-06. And during Rondo's SEC games last season, UK frequently looked out of sync and out of sorts; he was even benched for a stretch in February. Additionally, he's a subpar shooter who hit only 57.1 percent from the free throw line and 27.3 percent from long distance in '05-06. One NBA source reminded me that "Jason Kidd couldn't shoot in college either." So I looked up Kidd's sophomore stats at Cal -- not great, but not in Rondo territory: 69.2 percent on free throws, 36.2 percent on threes. Those were building-block numbers. Rondo's are a sign of trouble.

Exactly. Rondo would be a consideration if he could shoot and there is more than enough evidence to indicate that he just can't do it. The fact that he struggles so much from the free throw should send red flags everywhere.

• Moderators

Quote:

he averaged 11pts 6reb 5ast 2stl. he's only 6'1" but had 19 reb vs iowa this year. i'm not saying take him at #5 but he's a special player who loves to play D.

That is spot on. He is going to be a good NBA player but isn't ready to lead a team yet and shouldn't be considered at #5.