• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

My Take - The Good, The Bad, The Ugly

Lascar78

THE GOOD

Shelden Williams. It's arguable that we could have had him lower. I personally would have preferred Foye. But the truth is that we got a player who can start from day 1 if we want him to, and directly adresses our number 1 need. Remember that feeling we got when Batista came in the game and it felt like someone was finally making the other team work for it and worry about his toughness? Now we've actually got a starting caliber guy who speaks english to do this. Shelden will stop the layup drill. Add the implied departure of Al Harrington, and our D is significantly improved.

THE BAD

Failure to find a way to make a trade. When guys like Rondo are just getting sold, guys like Marcus Williams drop and drop and drop, we should have found a way to get one of these guys. I hope we tried, but in the end we never seem to get it done.

THE UGLY

Solomon Jones. WTF was this? Nothing against the guy, he seems to be tall and appears to have potential, and 33 seems to be about where he belongs. But for a team in our position with all those forwards, to pass on guys like Diaz and Dee Brown is inexcusable. Diaz or Brown could have started as soon as this year. Solomon Jones is behind Smith/Williams/Williams/Zaza and arguably Batista, possibly Anderson on the depth chart for playing the 4/5. In the meantime getting a guy like Diaz would have left us with Diaz/Lue as our main PG rotation, and while we'd still be looking for plenty in free agency, we at least would have had a complete lineup even if we strike out. As it stands, still a goose egg when it comes to starting PGs.

THEREFORE, if BK feels that he should pass on potential starters at the PG, it's up to him to go find a PG now. As I've said before, I feel like this is the first summer BK's had a chance to put a complete roster together. Clearly, our SG is taken care of. Our 3-4 is taken care of. Our center spot is arguably taken care of, although we're still not at the top of the league obviously. So if BK is going to pass on a starter in the second round, I hold him responsible for finding one in Free Agency or in SNT'ing Harrington. So we'll see...

The redundancy in having many forwards doesn't bother me so much. Most teams are not able to draft a whole team and have the whole team grow. Someone will be traded once the players grow a little and we know who fits best.

The difference being that Salim is a 6 foot SG while Diaz is a PG. For instance in their last seasons in college, Diaz had a 1.45 A/TO, while Salim had more turnovers than assists. They had about the same points and rebounds. Salim is slower, can't handle the rock as well, can't pass as well. The only area in which he is better is shooting

to be honest, jason terry would be the best but that's not happening...a shoot first point is fine because they would really act as a comboguard..

i'd be fine with getting another sg with handle to act as a combo guard but there appears to be noone available.

i truly feel a trade is going to have to happen to get a good point..

cassell-definitely too old for more than 2 years

james- servicable but ug

jackson-best days behind him as sparkplug

• Moderators

We have nothing to trade is the problem. The only players teams are interested in are: Chill, Smoove, and Marvin. We're not giving them up because they are good or will be good and cheap. The owners aren't going to add much payroll with all the legal crap going on so if we can get something for Al or Salim then that's about it.

Quote:

Failure to find a way to make a trade. When guys like Rondo are just getting sold, guys like Marcus Williams drop and drop and drop, we should have found a way to get one of these guys. I hope we tried, but in the end we never seem to get it done.

I agree with this statement as well. When guys like Rondo & Jordan Farmar were still available I was hoping that might slip into the 2dround but I knew better. I would have given up Salim & a future 2ndrounder to land Rondo or Farmar.

On a sidenote am I the only one who thinks Phoenix wasted the pick they got from us?

Quote:

...On a sidenote am I the only one who thinks Phoenix wasted the pick they got from us?

Sure seems like it to me Blunt. I think they were hoping for a project like Sene (did he go high or what?)...but once they didn't see anything out there they just decided to stand pat.

Chillz will never be able to start in Atlanta...He will never beat out JJ, Marvin , or Smoove athe the 2/3 spots..His value will be as a 6th or 7th man..

That being said, if BK could trade a 6th man for a starting point he has to do it...Chillz will be the primary bait.