BK in win now mode.

Diesel

• Premium Member

Seeing that it hasn't been mentioned, we are in win now mode.

Forget about the draft, I think BK genuinely liked Shelden better than anybody else who was available when we picked.

However, during FAcy negotiations, we offered Sam Cassell 2 years 15 million.

BK must feel like we have the pieces to win substantially in the next 2 years.

Yeah - I think it's do or die time for BK. If we show reasonable improvement then the 5 year plan is intact and BK's reputation is good. If we stink and PHX gets a 4-8 pick next year we are back to laughingstock status and BK is in serious trouble.

If we get another solid big I think we'll be fine. If not it could go either way.

depends on the definition of win now. I think we're at the point where overpaying a little on role players can make a big difference on that record. So from that standpoint, yes, we finally feel like spending a little will make us competitive.

But at the same time it's not "win now" in the sense that all we are focused on is winning now, in that we'll trade great young pieces of our future for a few extra wins this year.

I think we're a 35-45 win ball club this year. I'll guess 38 as we stand now.

• Premium Member

I think htat more than anything BK has to stop the acquisition of talent and start with the molding of the team. trading the #1 pick this year was prolly the sign that Bk felt that we would be ready this year. I don't know if BK's plans had to change with Al?

Quote:

...I think we're a 35-45 win ball club this year. I'll guess 38 as we stand now.

13 - 26 - 38, would be a good progression for BK to hang his hat on. I would think (unless we start poorly again) that 38 wins would keep us in the playoff hunt until late in the year and put us up to the level that NOK was last year.

That would be fine with me...although we're all greedy and would love to see the Hawks in the playoffs :-)

I don't think we're willing to blow all our salary cap space on marginal players or anything like that, but I do think this is the year they want to stop being the doormats of the NBA.

If we land someone like Foster for Al Harrington we would be a reasonably deep and experienced team compared to the last 2 years.

Speedy Claxton Tyronn Lue

Joe Johnson / Salim Stoudamire

Marvin Williams / Josh Childress

Josh Smith / Shelden Williams

Zaza Pachulia / Jeff Foster

I think 38 is a fair prediction...maybe a little high.

We are putting together a real nice core of young players, but I think they are all still a little too young and inexperienced to make a serious playoff push this season.

I pray to God they prove me wrong, but I'm guessing we win about 35 games...if we catch a few real lucky breaks along the way we COULD be looking at the 8 seed with about 41 wins, I think that is a bit optimistic for the upcoming season though.

i'm going with 40 wins....we lost a lot of close games in the paint and to a degree that has been addressed..zaza will also be more effective since he can take breaks a bit more...

i really think that IF we get Foster or Magloire, 40 wins is a definite. i won't be disappointed if we don't but that's what i'm thinking.

Agree we need more help in the paint to avoid a bad start especially.

Didn't we start something like 2 and 19 last year? So if we'd have started 10 and 11 - that's 8 more games right there and a 26 win season becomes a 34 win season. Add in winning a few of the close ones due to better defense and we are contending for the playoffs.

I realize it isn't that easy...other teams have improved too...but I could see us sniffing the playoffs this year.

If we are serious about making the playoffs THIS year...then we will trade for Magloire AND try to get Lo Wright to take a 2 year deal to come off our bench.

We can let Marv have another year off the bench.

Clax/Lue/Ivey

JJ/Chills/Salim

Smoove/Marv

Shelden/Lo/Jones

Magloire/ZZ/Batista

That team would prolly make the playoffs this year...but would maybe hender the growth of our youngins.

I think the two most important factors for our losing last year was interior defense and turnovers. I am counting on the Al S&T to further strengthen our interior d, but I think that Speedy's contribution in limiting turnovers alone could give us 7 more games.

Give me another Center and I could see 40 games.