• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Gridiron Dynasty - University of Puget Sound

joannes3000

A promising start to the regular season with an upset of then-ranked Chapman (9) was a preview of the run that CMH would go on during the rest of the season.

Beating Chapman at home breathed life into a downtrodden team that finished 3-9 last season. We went on to win our first 10 games, more than tripling the previous season's win total. East Texas Baptist served as a reality check by handing us our first loss, in our house, 34-20. From there we went on to win our remaining two games by an average final score of 59-15, setting up a conference championship rematch against ETB.

Going into their house gave CMH the chance to extract revenge for our lone blemish on the season thus far. Down 4 points going into the 4th quarter, we executed a masterful 7 minute drive that resulted in the eventual game-winning touchdown. A missed 45 yard FG by ETB with 33 seconds remaining punctuated the hotly contested game.

CMH was rewarded for our 13-1 record, conference championship, and regular season-ending #13 ranking with a #4 seed in the DIII playoffs. This marks several coaching milestones for myself - longest winning streak (10), first CC, first playoff trip.

Our first playoff game was against the fifth seeded Kalamazoo squad. This matched two distinctly different offensive styles, with Kalamazoo throwing nearly as many times (697) as we ran (751).

The Kalamazoo offense is anchored by two top players: Ronald Watson, QB - 4979 yards (#2) and Sean Scott, WR - 118 rec (#5) for 1996 yards (#2). In contrast, CMH is led on the ground by ASC Offensive Player of the Year James Lee, who ran for over 2000 yards and 15 TDs. Our #2 RB, Richard Salazar, is no slouch either, chipping in over 1000 yards and 11 TDs. We were victorious by the final score of 30-17, as we were able to limit Kalamazoo to two passing tds and our ground game rang up four.

Our second round game is against another pass happy team in Ripon, who is fresh off of a HUGE upset of #1 Coast Guard. As expected, Ripon came out gunning with 19 pass attempts and zero rush attempts other than two QB sacks. Our running game is off to a good start with 25 rushes for 137 yards and two TDs. Our pass game is keeping them honest also, going 9/15 for 140 yards and another TD. We're winning 20-14 going into halftime and I'll have an update after the conclusion of this game.

bannana_purple.gif

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm happy and sad to report that our season has come to an end with a loss to 12th ranked Western New England. Injuries to two of my top three LBs were exposed against a team that literally ran us off the field to the tune of 60 rushes for a total of 353 yards and 4 TDs. Compare that to 3 pass attempts and you can tell what the opposing coach saw as a weakness in my defense. We still kept it close, however, losing by a final score of 30-24.

Sad as it was to lose by one score, our season as a whole can't be seen as anything but an overwhelming success. My plan was to take an inherited roster and bring out the best, which we did with a 15-2 mark; tied for the third best finish in the school's storied history. I felt I have grown as a game planner, taking a team that had no business winning only three games last season and winning 5x as many games with a conference championship to boot.

The work has only begun, however, with a critical senior class graduating this year. 86% of my rushing yards and 79% of my rushing TDs will be out the door with three of my stud RBs graduating. That alone has me concerned, not to mention ten other senior starters that will be heavily missed.

Our deep run into the playoffs should help with recruiting, but we're not even halfway home. A solid recruiting class will be needed along with another strong season next year to truly cement CMH as a perennial contender, which it should be capable of. Predictions for next year? Another 10+ win regular season is a must and I'm expecting us to defend our CC as well. Another deep playoff run will be tough, but I expect to at least make the playoffs. Stay tuned.

Quote:

Quote:

Congrats on a good season! Keep the updates coming.

I have never been on the site and don't think I would be good at keeping up with it, but it is fun to read about how people are doing.

It's very much like chess. Anybody can play as soon as you know how to move the pieces, but I've spent a significant amount of time getting decent at it(IMO). For me, it's a big numbers game and that's what I enjoy about it; being an accounting major. uglyhammer.gif

• 3 weeks later...

For those of you that have kept up with this thread, you know that I feel my first two seasons at CMH can make or break me. I can afford to be mediocre, but with two solid seasons I can really establish a dynasty.

That said, the season kicks off with the biggest crapshoot of them all - recruiting. Now you may think that I would go into recruiting nice and calm. I'm in one of the recruiting hotbed states (CA) and our team had tremendous success last season and in the past 4 seasons. In the words of Lee Corso, not so fast my friend. I feel more pressure to perform now than I ever did at Puget Sound. Mediocrity is easy to come by but success takes hard work.

We had 16 scholarships and some very big shoes to fill. It was going to be critical that I sign 3 top tier RBs that will be ready to shine after this season. To a lesser extent, I needed to get a few stud OL and with the switch from a 4-3 to a 5-2 defense, we immediately needed 4 DL to at least provide depth.

Being in CA is a good and a bad thing, much like being in TX. While I get the advantage of having great local recruits, but that also means this advantage is shared by the rest of the CA schools - all 9 of them. 8 of these schools, myself included, are within ~100 miles of each other. And while Menlo is far to the north, they're a powerhouse and can have their way with recruits. Of the local schools, Chapman poses the biggest threat in recruiting because they've had similar recent success.

Once recruiting began I went about business as usual and lined up my 16 recruits early. I fought for ~3 of them, cut a deal with Chapman to land my #1 DL target, and lost out on my #1 RB target to (guess who) Menlo. Losing the RB was a fairly big blow because he could've realistically started next season without question. My #2 target should be good, but he will have to grow into the position. I will be recruiting RBs again next season and believe me, I will go to war if I find a freshman that can contribute.

Signing day came and went with little stress. All 16 of my targets were locked up as soon as signings began and overall I was happy. Paranoid rated my class as the #11 overall class (out of 228 DIII schools), so my positive feelings were very much validated. Step one of a successful season is now complete.

OOC play is nearly complete and it should be a walk in the park compared to last season when I faced #9 Chapman. Capital fell 31-14, thanks to our vaunted running game (47 attempts for 348 yards and 3 TDs). John's Hopkins is hanging in there at halftime 10-9 because I was fooling around with my depth chart in an attempt to get my freshmen RBs some game time in the first half. The result is that they played nearly the entire half and they aren't nearly as effective as my starters. In comparison, my freshmen averaged 5.8 YPC and my seniors averaged 12.25 YPC. Needless to say, my seniors will be playing the majority of the 2nd half and we should literally run away with the game.

Updates will come every 3 games or so. I have my 'rivalry' game with East Texas Baptist in two days, and we're going to their house. I have that game (and to a much lesser extent, Mississippi) penciled in as critical.

With 6 games in the books, CMH is where we expect to be in the standings at 5-1. Our only loss was to East Texas Baptist, which doesn't upset me. In two seasons we should be at their level, however.

To date we're averaging a final score of 31.33 - 14.67. Last season was a much more dominant one and I think I've ironed out the main reason why. I chose to get away from the wishbone offense that triggered my dominating running attack in favor of the notre dame box. I thought it catered more toward my team's strengths and my playcalling, but boy was I wrong.

The tipping point was against an Austin team that I felt I should have blown out. In that game our running game sputtered to the tune of 42 carries for only 188 yards and 2 scores. The wishbone was reinstalled immediately after that game and the results were back up to where I expect them to be - a 45-3 drubbing of Sul Ross State and my running game got back on track with 56 carries for 406 yards and 6 scores.

The back half of the regular season poses far fewer threats than the front half, with a road game against Mississippi and a home tilt against currently #1 ranked Louisiana on the slate. I don't want to downplay Louisiana's success so far, but they'd be doing me a favor by finishing off ETB today (10-7) because truth be told, I'd much rather face them in the CC than ETB.

Second half report coming soon. bananallama.gif

• 4 weeks later...

Oh how far we have fallen. A terrific 5-1 start to the season was completely done in as we Falconed our way to a 5-2 finish. No CC and certainly no playoff berth. banghead.gif You might say that a 10-3 season is better than average, and it is, but it was a major step back from our 15-2 campaign from one season ago.

Our two losses were to highly motivated Louisiana and Austin teams. Austin ended up engineering a CC upset over East Texas Baptist, landing them (and ETB) into the playoffs. Louisiana, meanwhile, was the upstart team of the year having gone 5-8 last season and finishing 11-2, just missing the CC. I tried taking solace in the fact that we lost to quality teams, but losing is not something that I want to get accustomed to at CMH.

As expected, my recruit vision was reduced due to the dropoff in our overall record but we still got to see a good amount of quality recruits heading into the offseason. With roughly 12k in carryover money, we set our sights high this offseason, looking to bolster the RB corps once again after losing 3 seniors. A quick sidenote - we will try to skate by with only 5 RBs this season, redshirting one, to avoid this annual depletion of talent.

This sums up how my recruiting efforts have turned out thus far - russian.gif. Contrary to previous seasons, there was a GLUT of human competition for in-state recruits, which I failed to adapt to before it was too late. As we currently stand, we have 11 of 14 scholarships filled with a remote chance of filling one more. We will realistically enter the upcoming season thin at RB (5) and LB (4), which happen to be very critical to both my base offense (wishbone) and defense (5-2).

The silver lining is that of the recruits we DID sign, several were highly rated prospects:

I signed my #1 and #3 QB prospects, with the #1 being a local kid 26 miles away who will be competing for the starting job as a SO. (2/2)

9527.gifJohn Brown 5311.gifJose Moore

We also signed my #2 and #3 RBs, which was absolutely critical. They've been penciled in as our #3 and #4 RBs since they signed their letters of intent. (2/3)

8467.gifJonathan Owens 6892.gifDavid Campbell

On the OL we signed our #5, #6, and #9 prospects and given the amount of battling that position typically gets I'm more than happy with the results. All three will be key backups this year and will hopefully grow to be anchors on the line. (3/3)

9076.gifDavid Smith 4648.gifLarry Reynolds 199.gifFrank Russell

The one DL we signed was our #1 target and he comes almost as highly regarded as last year's #1 target, Thomas Brown. Like Brown, Eric Saunders will immediately start on our DL. (1/2)

9618.gifEric Saunders

A stroke of luck led to our signing of our #1 LB target, a kid 224 miles away that was being recruited by a top school from WI. Landing him almost offsets not signing our #2 target who was gobbled up by in-state rival Chapman. (1/2)

5874.gifJeffrey Watson

We aimed for the stars with our #1 DB target and landed him. Joseph Smith is our #3 overall rated prospect in our signing class. He will step in as our nickel or dime DB and will be a bonafide starter with near shutdown ability as a SO. (1/1)

2205.gifJoseph Smith

Every 4 years we witness several things - the Summer Olympic games, a presidential election, and CMH signing a K/P. Joshua Hatch reminds many of a young Reggie Roby with a booming leg that should result in plenty of 50+ yard punts and made field goals. (1/1)

1723.gifJoshua Hatch

The one remaining scholarship offer is for our #5 RB prospect. Anyone that went to Los Angeles HS or that has ties there should remind Mr. Hoffman that CMH has a budding tradition of stud RBs and his services will only not be appreciated, but they will be showcased!

2864.gifKevin Hoffman

Let me preface by saying that exhibition games hold little significance since teams usually don't have the depth that they'd have when rosters fill out with incoming freshmen. To me they serve no purpose other than to get a few games of individual and positional growth for the players.

Onto the results:

3/29/2007 at La Verne 21-17 w

3/30/2007 Huntingdon 10-58 w

4/1/2007 Elmhurst 14-40 w

One thing I'm doing differently is I'm not waiting for freshmen to report before I play my final game. I've dodged enough injury bullets and I can't afford to run any leaner than I already am this season. These games could possibly be a set schedule, with all three being against coaches I know.

plburn at La Verne coached in the ASC recently and jumped at the chance to coach a Cali school. I can't say I blame him.

My brother is the new coach at Huntingdon after I convinced him just how much of a regional advantage the school has being one of two schools in AL, allowing it almost unobstructed recruiting to FL and GA.

70blackshirt is someone I've given extensive advice to and he has an upstart team in a rough recruiting area.

-------------------

And a final update to recruiting: Kevin Hoffman spurned us to play for a sim school... gnasher.gif I'm not happy but I can't say that I'm surprised. We ended recruiting with a whopping $6 left over. Needless to say, my recruiting efforts will be drastically different from this point forward.

Quote:

Quote:

Needless to say, my recruiting efforts will be drastically different from this point forward.

How so?

Beforehand, I relied on hitting recruits early and therefore discouraging other coaches from wanting to spend money battling me. It's pretty common for coaches to steer clear of players that are already 'considering others' when they recruit.

Coming off my 15 win season I locked up the #11 recruiting class with this method, so I stuck with it this time also. What I didn't realize was that while my recruit vision only dropped ~30 recruits from my 15 win season to my 10 win season, the LEVEL of recruits I was seeing had dropped drastically.

When I landed that #11 class, I was seeing recruits that only the upper schools in CA were seeing - Chapman and Pomona-Pitzer. Menlo was so far ahead of the three of us that he was seeing even better recruits, effectively keeping that powerhouse out of my hair. This season, however, I was running into damn near every CA school - La Verne, Occidental, Redlands, Cal Lutheran, etc, on top of the other upper schools.

I went about business as usual, but by the time I got responses from my recruits the damage had already begun. I lined up the 14 local players I liked, but only had about 3 considering me. Normally I get nearly all of them considering me right off the bat. What truly did me in, however, was my arrogance.

I dove headfirst into those same recruits knowing that this could be a make-or-break year for me. Before the first day of recruiting had even finished I was down to 20k (from 50k) with only 6 or 7 recruits considering me.

crash.gif

Several battles and several negotiated deals later, I had 10 recruits signed with about $500 in my pocket. I landed an 11th recruit out of sheer luck but was unable to sway the last RB recruit I had any shot at.

-----------------------

From here out, I'm gonna do what got me where I'm at in the first place. I'm gonna wait a day or two on nearly all of my open scholarships, only targeting a small handful (1/3 at most) of recruits as must-have guys that I will attack early. I learned the benefit of getting recruits to consider me early a few seasons ago, and it wasn't until this disasterous recruiting period that I learned the benefit of remaining patient throughout the entire period.

As in the past two seasons, CMH looks great on paper compared to the competition. Of the 13 regular season games, I'm favored on talent alone in all but one of them; my annual showdown with East Texas Baptist (ETB). Talent is only half the equation, however, and with the influx of new coaches things will be interesting.

These games can come down to coaching:

Hampden-Sydney - season opener agaist a team on the rise

Austin - defending CC

Mary Hardin-Baylor - first real road test of the season, and against a proven coach

Cal Lutheran - two great coaches, one being my mentor, makes for a tough matchup

Mississippi - has enough talent to be a problem despite questionable coaching

10 wins is the absolute minimum I'll accept at CMH at this point. Even with one crappy class, we have enough talent and have practiced our offense and defense enough to compete with anyone. We should be in the running for a CC berth all season and it could very well come down to the last game of the season against Mississippi.

Non-Conference Play

4/7/2007 Hampden-Sydney 10-7 l

4/8/2007 Springfield 7-52 w

Conference Play

4/9/2007 at Texas Lutheran 37-7 w

4/10/2007 Austin 34-28 l

First game was an absolute heartbreaker. Two missed field goals - both by AC signees - killed us. Needless to say, those AC signees have been buried in the depth chart. Our running game was slowed by their defense, which was expected. My scouting report showed a very close matchup in talent.

Game two got us on the right track. Against a far less talented opponent, our offense got uncorked. We ended the day with 334 yards and 4 TDs on the ground and added 171 yards and 3 TDs through the air.

Game three kept us on track. Our offense was humming again, with 243 yards and 5 TDs on the ground and 190 yards in the air.

Game four was another heartbreaker. We coughed up the ball with 3 minutes to go in the first half while driving at the opponent's 33 yard line. The defense then allowed a TD drive to close the half. The second half started the way the first ended. A questionable decision to go for it on 4th down instead of kicking a FG deflated the team. A td-recovered kick-td in the 4th quarter was too little too late.

--------------------

My biggest concern so far is CMH's inability to establish the run on offense. 5.2 ypc and 14 TDs through 4 games is solid, but I'd like to see us averaging over 6 ypc to really put pressure on opposing defenses.

Defensively, again we're solid, but the Austin game showed that our defense has problems that need to be fixed. We've implemented a few new things into the defensive game plan and we'll see how things turn out in the next 4 games.

4/11/2007 Louisiana 14-34 w

4/12/2007 at Hardin-Simmons 49-17 w

4/13/2007 at Mary Hardin-Baylor 21-24 l

The Louisiana game provided a bit of revenge from last year's unexpected loss. The run game continues to carry us - 261 yards and 4 TDs. The passing game is helping keep teams honest also - 220 yards and 1 TD.

Hardin-Simmons was simply outmatched up front. The running game powered us to victory with 338 yards and 6 TDs, while the passing attack contributed another 145 yards and 1 TD.

Mary Hardin-Baylor was an absolutely devastating loss for us. We threw an INT on our 12 yard line with a little under 2 minutes to go in the 1st half leading to a MHB TD. A lost fumble on the 12 (AGAIN) had MHB knocking on the door for what would've been a backbreaking TD. We miraculously came up with an INT, however, that was taken to the house. Disaster averted, we went into halftime down 17-14.

The third quarter was a defensive struggle, with the only chance of scoring being a missed 34 yard FG on our behalf that would be the difference in the final score. TDs were exchanged early in the 4th quarter, followed by more defensive struggles. Down 3 points, we had a 19 yard pass on 4th and 2 get called back for holding, and a sack on 4th and 12 ended the agony.

------------

It's evident that if our running game doesn't get established, we're in bad shape. Our record stands at 4-3, matching the number of losses we had last season with our games against ETB and Mississippi still ahead. 9 wins seems hopeful and 8 wins seems realistic. bananadead3.gif

Our three losses were for a combined total of 12 points. I try to take solace in that, but it's back to the drawing board for the entire CMH coaching staff after this season. Players and schemes need to be evaluated, because mediocrity isn't where we'd like to be.

4/14/2007 Sul Ross State 10-42 w

4/15/2007 at #2 East Texas Baptist 11-49 l

4/16/2007 at Howard Payne 51-48 w

Sul Ross State further solidifies my team's #1 priority - establish the run and the rest will fall into place. 292 yards and 3 TDs on the ground, 167 yards and 3 TDs in the air.

Our now annual drubbing of ETB went as expected. The proof is in the pudding - 73 yards and 1 TD on the ground equals a loss. ETB has the highest rated defensive front in the league so we knew this loss was all but assured.

Howard Payne played some inspired football at home. An early 2 TD lead turned into a tie game with 5 minutes left. We answer with a 4 minute TD drive, leaving Howard Payne with 73 yards to march in 74 seconds. Little did I know John Elway was at the helm. A 44 yard bomb on 4th and 2 with 8 seconds left put the game into overtime. Thanks, pass defense! banghead.gif

OT 1 - missed FG by Howard Payne, we throw a pick on our first possession. hbomb.gif

OT 2 - matching TDs.

OT 3 - matching TDs and failed 2pt conversions.

OT 4 - missed FG by Howard Payne, we end the misery with a 21 yard FG.

------------

The winds of change are blowing. As we near the end of the season, evaluations have already been made and there will be subtle changes on offense with not so subtle changes on defense. The long-rumored change from our 5-2 base defense will become reality next season, with CMH making the move to a 4-4 base defense. Offensively, we're making a move back to the NDB after much debate over it's effectiveness compared to the wishbone.

4/17/2007 McMurry 7-51 w

4/18/2007 at California Lutheran 22-29 l

4/19/2007 Mississippi 31-34 w

McMurry was the first game of a new offensive game plan. I'd say it worked well. 318 yards and 4 TDs on the ground, 194 yards and 3 TDs in the air.

Cal Lutheran is coached by one of my good friends on the forums and I have yet to beat him. This loss puts me at 0-2, with the only surprising part being that he beat me this time around. We both knew what the other was bringing to the table and he outplanned me in the end.

The season finale was a tale of two halves. The first half went from a 13-0 lead within 5 minutes of the first quarter to a 24-13 deficit by the end of the first half. The new game plan really shined in the second half, capitalized with two TDs in the final 10 minutes to seal the game.

------------------

An 8-5 season continues the slide from our inaugural season. If anything it has rekindled my coaching mind, however, and a lot of new ideas have started to formulate. Next season begins the dawn of a new coaching era at CMH. Again.

• 4 weeks later...

The dawn of a new era in CMH football is one that is very familiar. 10 seasons from when I first began my coaching career at Puget Sound, we're back in familiar territory. Gone is the flashy Wishbone along with the underachieving 5-2. I've welcomed back the NDB offense that led to my early success at UPS and the long anticipated 4-4 defense is now in place.

----------------

Recruiting was interesting. My new strategy is in place, and except for forgetting to sign two random players, we filled our class. The 12 recruits are solid. None are expected to be major contributers right away, but all have potential to be solid starters in a season or two.

----------

Exhibition finals:

5/3/2007 at Gettysburg 51-14 w

5/4/2007 Huntingdon 14-71 w

5/5/2007 at Colorado 14-17 l

--------------------

Going into the regular season we're quietly hoping for a 10 win season, as always. There will be growing pains on defense, having to learn an entirely new system. The roster overhaul that comes with this transition went a lot smoother than expected, and once next season's recruits are in place we should have the foundation built.

Looking at the schedule, I feel positive about all but 3 games, a common theme these past few years. ETB will continue to be the top team in the conference until further notice, and with a bit of luck I can hope to contend for the right to play them in the CC. We also play a very strong Averett team in our OOC schedule, which should be a good barometer for the rest of the season.

The back end of the schedule will likely determine the outcome of our season, with games on the road against division rivals Mississippi and Austin.

5/20/2007 at Mississippi

5/21/2007 Texas Lutheran

5/22/2007 at Austin

5/23/2007 Mary Hardin-Baylor

5/24/2007 California Lutheran

As usual, in-season updates will come every three games.

Non-Conference Play

5/12/2007 at McDaniel 86-3 w

5/13/2007 Averett 28-35 w

Conference Play

5/14/2007 at Sul Ross State 7-0 w

McDaniel is a sim team, so the only thing I was really hoping for was an injury free game. Mission accomplished. We went for 484 yards and 9 scores on the ground and 175 yards and 3 scores through the air.

The game against Averett pitted me against a veteran coach at the helm of a team that has made the playoffs for six years running. A win here was a huge boost of confidence in the new game plans. The running game fueled the win with 233 yards and 4 scores, while the passing game contributed another 134 yards and 1 score.

To say that we overlooked the conference opener against SRS is an understatement. Like I told the opposing coach after the game was over, it was good that our defense showed up because our offense sure as hell didn't. Our run attack was stifled, going for only 85 yards and 0 scores. Thanfully the passing attack picked up the slack with 292 yards and the only score of the game.

-------------

5/15/2007 at Louisiana

5/16/2007 Hardin-Simmons

5/17/2007 East Texas Baptist

-------------

After barely winning against SRS last game, tonight's game against Louisiana has me worried. Just as quickly as the season was on a high note after the win against Averett, two losses this early can unravel our playoff hopes.

5/15/2007 at Louisiana 34-21 w

5/16/2007 Hardin-Simmons 7-49 w

5/17/2007 East Texas Baptist 21-31 w

----------------

Karl's Louisiana squad has seen better days since they last beat us two seasons ago. Our run game was held somewhat in check, 136 yards and 1 score; but our pass attack came through with 278 yards and 3 scores.

Hardin-Simmons didn't know what hit them. They didn't stop us in the first half (28-0 score), and they didn't do much to slow us in the second half. The ground game was back on track with 433 yards and 6 scores and our passing game added 91 yards and 1 score.

East Texas Baptist is having an interesting season. Admittedly, coach fastec has said that he's still trying to figure out his team, and it's obvious with his two losses so far. Seems like what I was going through last season. Our run game managed 93 yards and 2 scores against the toughest defense in the conference, with our passing game providing the firepower to the tune of 305 yards and 2 scores.

----------------

The CMH faithful are still in disbelief after a HUGE win over conference rival East Texas Baptist. Our last win over ETB came in my first season as coach, which was a 3 point win for the CC. It's been a long time coming, but this win was much more resounding than back then.

The huge win helps us keep pace with what looks like a collision course with division rival Mississippi for the right to play in the CC this year and possibly a playoff bid. We have two games to gear up for what will is being dubbed throughout the ASC as Clash of the Titans, Round 2.

Mississippi is currently ranked 7th while we are ranked 13th and the fact that it's a road game could very well determine the outcome. Last season's game, which knocked them out of the CC, ended on a late field goal at our house. There won't be any need for motivation this time around, we've got a bonafide rivalry brewing.

-----------------------

5/18/2007 at McMurry

5/19/2007 Howard Payne

5/20/2007 at #7 Mississippi