• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Welcome Back, Lorenzen!!

KB21

Quote:

n his ten-year career, Lorenzen Wright has been able to live out part of every child’s fantasy. As a Hawk from 1999-2001, Wright had the chance to play for the team he grew up rooting for as a child in Memphis, TN. Following the 2001 season, he was dealt to Memphis in a deal that brought Atlanta Shareef Abdur-Rahim, allowing him to spend five seasons playing in front of his hometown fans.

Now back in the ATL after signing a two-year contract with the team as a free agent, Wright hopes to help bring the Hawks back to the playoffs, a destination he reached in each of the last three seasons with the Grizzlies. After meeting with the local media on Wednesday, Wright sat down for a quick five questions with Hawks.com.

Hawks.com: What made you decide to come back to Atlanta?

Lorenzen Wright: It’s always good to play for a good general manager, because you know he is going to put together teams that are eventually going to win (note: Knight was the GM in Memphis when the Grizzlies acquired Wright from the Hawks in the Abdur-Rahim deal). I think Billy is one of the top general managers in the league and is putting together a group of guys who can go out and win games. The talent on this team is just crazy with all the young guys. They all play hard, and there is just a ton of upside here. I think I can come in here and help this team close out games and get some more wins.

Hawks.com: What was it like growing up a Hawks fan and then getting to play here?

LW: It was great. I always watched Dominique Wilkins play growing up, and I always wanted to play for them. It was a dream come true for me when I got to come here and play the first time. Growing up in Mississippi and in Memphis, this was the closest NBA team we had until the Grizzlies moved there, and even after I moved on to play for the Grizzlies, I still always considered this a second home.

Hawks.com: That must have been so cool, getting to play for your favorite team and then your hometown team.

LW: Yeah, it’s cool that I got to play for both and go back and forth (laughing). I had some other choices this summer, but Atlanta stuck out to me because of where it was and because of the young talent this team has to offer.

Hawks.com: You played on some Memphis teams that struggled a little, then made the playoffs the last three seasons. What do you think made the difference for those squads to get over the hump? What lessons from that can you bring here to help this team do the same?

LW: The biggest thing for us was to learn how to close out games at the end. Last year with the Grizzlies we played the Hawks and beat them on a last second shot, and that’s the type of thing that hopefully with my knowledge I can help this team avoid. We can improve the Hawks record easily just by pulling out some of those games that are within three or four points coming down to the end.

The other thing is stealing wins at times of the year when other teams might not be as focused, like around the NBA All-Star break. It’s easy to catch teams napping then because players are thinking about the break, their vacation plans, etc. But if you can get a couple wins in there, those count, and may end up helping to make the difference for you at the end of the season.

Hawks.com: A similarity between the Memphis teams you’ve been with and this Hawks squad is a perceived lack of a big-time performer, but rather a collection of several good players. Do you think that is a fair assessment?

LW: I think that’s what made us so dangerous in Memphis. If you left Pau (Gasol, the Grizzlies’ best player) open, he could burn you. But if you focused on him, then the rest of the guys on our team could beat you as well. We were tough to match up with because we had so many options. It’s the same way here. The Hawks have a lot of weapons that can come at you from all over the place, and as long as we do a good job sharing the ball, I don’t think any team will be able to just concentrate on stopping Joe and think they can beat us.

Micah Hart is the Manager of Websites for the Atlanta Hawks

Welcome back, Lo.

LW: The biggest thing for us was to learn how to close out games at the end. Last year with the Grizzlies we played the Hawks and beat them on a last second shot, and thats the type of thing that hopefully with my knowledge I can help this team avoid. We can improve the Hawks record easily just by pulling out some of those games that are within three or four points coming down to the end.

The other thing is stealing wins at times of the year when other teams might not be as focused, like around the NBA All-Star break. Its easy to catch teams napping then because players are thinking about the break, their vacation plans, etc. But if you can get a couple wins in there, those count, and may end up helping to make the difference for you at the end of the season.

If he can do that here I can see him with important minutes at the end of our games here.

Thanks KB...good article. Sounds like Lo is happy to be here and that's half the battle these days. Better an experienced role player who is in with the program than a dissatisfied star wannabee.

Hope Lo, Zaza, Shelden, Batista, and JS give us the depth we need at the 4/5 spots to be competitive.

Quote:

LW: I think that’s what made us so dangerous in Memphis. If you left Pau (Gasol, the Grizzlies’ best player) open, he could burn you. But if you focused on him, then the rest of the guys on our team could beat you as well. We were tough to match up with because we had so many options. It’s the same way here. The Hawks have a lot of weapons that can come at you from all over the place, and as long as we do a good job sharing the ball, I don’t think any team will be able to just concentrate on stopping Joe and think they can beat us.

I think Lo mentions a key point and possible strategy; when JJ draws double and triple coverage, other hawk players must be productive. I think we are in a better position to take advantage of this with Speedy running the point. With slashers going aggressively to the bucket we can make those teams pay who think that to beat the hawks all you have to do is stop Joe. Imagine Smooth, Chill, and Williams taking folk to the rim when/if their man plays help defense to double JJ. Speedy, Salim, and Zaza should also get some open looks. I would imagine that most teams will go zone on us to try and help neutralize our athleticism.

Veteran leadership. Hawks need that. We may have

found it. Positive attitude about this team and what

the Hawks already have. I like that.

Someone who has "Been there, Done that" can have a

positive effect on our group of young players.

I am looking forewad to seeing how much our young players have matured since the end of last season. We may

be pleasantly suprised by what we have.

GO HAWKS !!!!!

laugh.gif

Quote:

"I'll let [Hawks coach Mike Woodson] decide that," Wright said when asked what role he expected to fill. "Whatever it takes. If he wants me to come off the bench or sweep the floor. Whatever it takes, I'm going to do that."

http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sports/h.../0831hawks.html

that sounded a little fake to me. what sweep the floor? i mean maybe a coach can say that or some fans can say that but a player? a player who just signed millions to say i'm willing to sweep the floor?

i don't mean i don't like this signing. in fact, i like this but, he just sounded so fake and that's all