• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Crocodile Hunter is Dead

Rick

An Aussie Icon is dead.... frown.gif

An Aussie icon is dead...

September 04, 2006 02:14pm

Article from: The Courier-Mail

THE Crocodile Hunter, Steve Irwin, is dead.

He was killed in a freak accident in Cairns, police sources said. It is understood he was killed by a sting-ray barb that went through his chest.

He was swimming off the Low Isles at Port Douglas filming an underwater documentary and that's when it occured.

Ambulance officers confirmed they attended a reef fatality this morning at Batt Reef off Port Douglas.

I find it ironic that he was killed by a relatively easy-going, non-aggressive creature like a sting ray. The man tangled with dangerous reptiles and animals throughout his career, but he meets his unfortunate end at the hands of a stingray. I mean, we have petting zoos for these creatures, despite their dangerous barbed stingers. For Steve to be killed by one is the irony of all ironies.

Either way, I loved the man's work, and I'm gonna miss the guy.

I certainly have no inside info...but I bet the ray that killed him was big. Those things get huge.

I heard on one of the TV shows over the weekend that the Barbs on the big ones are from 20 to 30 cm in length (30 cm being approximately a foot). Tough way to go.

Especially sorry for his wife and kids.