• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Poll: When will Dan Dickau start?

KB21

• Admin

I could be wrong. But Wilkes did more in two games than Dickau did in his entire stint with the team. I do expect him to get minutes. But I wouldn't expect him to be starting any time soon. His performance barely justified the minutes he was given. So I wouldn't count on seeing him get a lot of quality minutes for a while.

Dicky just isnt as much a floor general as Wilkes. You will see what I saw watching Gonzaga for the past 2 seasons, DD is a wannabe JT. He doesnt have PG instincts. I am sure they will start him just like they did with Rumeul Robinson, Trevor Wilson, Adam Keefe, CC, and MM just to find out he isnt a star. If he is a star and I am wrong. Yahoo! But I just see an over rated late 1st round, BABCOCK, pick.

• Admin

Everyong keeps talking about DD's return like he was actually doing something before he went on the IR. But unfortunately the guy had done nothing but flounder at the NBA level. Mike Wilkes, in two games, look more mature, polished and advanced than DD did in his entire time here.

I'm not saying MW is the answer. But from what we've seen, nobody in their right mind can suggest that DD is the answer either.

ChillzAtl,

The difference between Wilkes and Dickau is collegiate play. Dickau JUST finished college and is in the NBA. You can't expect him to make the transition perfectly. It takes everyone a little time... (except maybe that fool we traded away a bit ago)

Wilkes has been playing in the NBDL, which are the best of the NCAA that didn't make pro teams yet. So, he has been out there a little more. A little more experience.

I think Dickau will mature nicely. Will he be the MAN, I doubt it. But, I think he is certainly going to be okay.

Give him a bit to make it up to NBA pace. Wilkes is already there because he has been playing at one notch below the pace.

BUT, I could be wrong, and based on our outlook on PGs in the past... we could be in serious trouble.

Play.

Because, if you had seen Gonzaga play, you would have seen that Dan Dickau was the difference in that team being a very good basketball team and an average basketball team.

In 2 seasons, Gonzaga only lost 7 of the games that Dan Dickau played in. He missed 9 games in 2000-01, and they went 5-4 in those games. They went 21-3 in the games he played. Last year at this time, that team was 12-2 and was rated in the top 10. This year, without Dickau, they are 9-5 and not ranked.

He does have point guard instincts. He knows how to run an offense, has great court vision, and knows when to get the ball to whom and where.

The ONLY reason that Dickau focused on his scoring was that he was the best shooter and scorer on the team and was more able to create his own shot than anyone else. He was asked to be the man that shouldered the scoring load. The kid can flat out pass the rock though. He has that 6th sense that top PGs have of being able to deliver the ball in the right spot at the right time. He showed it time and again in the summer league and once he gets used to this system and the NBA he will show it here. I cant say whether he will ever be a star PG or not, but he has plenty of potential.

http://www.maurerscouting.com/Dickau-Dan.html

Strengths: Gym rat who is always working on his game … Real nice as a spot up shooter from the outside and has improved this season shooting off dribble … Dickau while not explosively quick is very deceptive with the ball and often he will utilize his teammates by setting up picks or screens to get past defenders … When driving to the basket he has no problem making hard shots as he will use the glass when there is traffic in the lane … Has mental qualities that great point guards have such as savvy, court awareness, creativity and court vision … Always pushes the ball up court in effort to try and start the fastbreak … Unselfish as he always looks for open teammates … Despite handling the ball for the majority of time he rarely turns the ball over as he makes excellent court decisions … Good passer has no problem making nice feeds in the low post or quick passes to spot up perimeter players … Good ball handler as he owns a semi-quick first step and uses a nice change of speed dribble to get pass defenders … Moves well without the ball and has become very adapt at catching and shooting …

Weakness: Defense could be Dickau’s biggest weakness as he struggles defending quick guards due to his average lateral quickness … Shot selection leaves a little to be desired as he will sometimes come down the court and pull-up a jumper before the offense is initiated ... Doesn’t always use his great penetration skills when he should as sometimes he is just satisfied to shoot from the outside when it would benefit him more to drive … Has a bad habit of playing defense with his hands and not his feet so it is a must that he works on his defensive footwork to compensate for his average lateral quickness … Doesn’t always control the tempo of the game when he gets into his scoring mode …