Our perimeter defense is awful, can we fix it?

HAWKS1986

After seeing the likes of TJ Ford and Jameer Nelson and other 'speedy' guards shred our perimeter defense, I believe changes have to be made NOW if the Hawks are to stay relevent in the playoff hunt... We need to find someone who is a defensive stopper from somewhere who can occasionally make some offensive plays.

I really wanted Cedric Bozeman to succeed, but it look like it isn't working out and Salim isn't the answer as well.

We are 5 and 6, but Orlando is being to 'grow' as a team and in confidence. And as a fan that bothers me. Our team should be further along, especially defensively.

Marvin coming back in two weeks isn't going to help our perimeter defense problem, and I am beginning to get a 'bad vibe' about Speedy.

The scouting department need to go to the NBDL and find someone who wants to compete and is hungry and isn't afraid to make plays. They don't have to be an All-Star, but someone who can play 20 minutes and give a solid efensive effort and make an open jump shot or two.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Lue is our problem defensively. He gets killed by opposing guards, if Speedy recovers all the way than we will be fine. Why not try Ivey?? he is more experienced now and shouldn't make rookie mistakes.

True. TJ Ford literally drove at will against the Hawks the other night while Speedy was out. But the problem is that if Speedy has tendinitis or bursitis, we'll either have to wait until he completely recovers or he'll have to play in pain for the rest of the season possibly with limited minutes. Either way, we have a problem. Maybe it's time to either bring in Ivey or sign Anthony Grundy again.

Speedy's injuries just show how important it is that the Hawks get a point guard that can play some defense at the very least, but ideally also someone who can drive to the hoop and hit an occassional outside shot.

I would not be opposed to a very minor trade to get someone like Jason Hart. I wouldn't give up more then a second round pick.

I would also consider trading Salim while he still has some trade value since Lue provides the same skillset to the Hawks.