• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Windows Vista Ultimate mini-review

chillzatl

• Admin

installed vista ultimate last night and it's pretty cool. The install went smoothly and was pretty fast.

Performance is good and it seems to take up less memory than the previous copy of XP pro did.

The changes to the UI are nice. It looks very Mac-like, which isn't all that bad, but still feels like windows.

Some of the security changes are a pain in the ass in a domain environment, but probably wouldn't be noticed by the average home users.

Tonight I will check out the vista media center stuff and see how easy it is to get my xbox 360 and other extenders connected to it.

I see it being a cash cow for MS, not that I expected othewise. It should really steal back some of the Mac market share and further extend the futility of linux on the desktop.

I am mostly impressed with it so far. One thing I would have really liked to have seen is the way that Macs are able to cycle through folders in a column view. To me that is a very useful feature.

With needing permission to install files now it should be much more difficult for malware to end up installed on windows now as well.

Have you played with the new Media Center yet? I am about to go and get the new dashboard patch for the 360 to see if I can get my 1080P TV to actually display 1080P content from the 360 and then connect through Media Center to Vista to see the differences.

• Admin

yah, i've got it hooked up with my 360 downstairs. Setting the 360 up as an MCE with Vista was a breeze. The only downside is that it doesn't natively play divx files, but there are a few work arounds for it.

I'm also using Tversity (www.tversity.com) on one of my servers so that it can act as a media server as well. It was cake to setup and doesn't take up much in the way of resources. You don't get the MCE style interface on your 360 like you do with vista, but for video's, music and pics it works great.