• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

GLAVINE PICKS THE METS

BornandDieHawks

Schuerholz is dead to me. He's been a day late and a dollar short for the better part of a decade. Just to name a few. Albie Lopez, Quilvio Veras,John Thompson, Kenny Lofton, Reggie Sanders, Russ Ortiz, Ken Caminiti, Paul Bako, Juan Cruz, Kyle Farnsworth, Todd Holandsworth, Jose Hernandez, Brian Jordan(2nd time), Darren Bragg, Rico Brogna, Ken Ray, Edgar Renteria(anyone else think we missed Furcal's range and arm?) Dan Kolb, Walt Weiss, Tim Hudson, Shane Reynolds, Chris Rietsma, Raul Mondesi, Pete Orr(the guy makes Lockhart look like George Brett), Kurt Abbot, Andy Ashby, Rey Sanchez, B.j.Surhoff, Robert Fick, Steve Karsay, Todd Pratt, Jaret Wright, Matt Diaz, Willy Aybar, Ryan Langerhans, Danys Baez, Tyler Yates, Chad Poronto, Blaine Boyer, and Wilson Betemit sucked for like 10 years, when he finally delivers, we trade him for nothing the day Chipper gets hurt. I know there are others, but these are a few. Here are some guys he let leave-Jermaine Dye, Dave Justice, Jason Schmidt, Rafael Furcal, Kevin Millwood, Leo Mazzonne, Pat Corralles, Javy Lopez, Greg Maddux, Tom Glavine, and next year you can bet he'll trade Andruw. I guarantee it was a matter of a few million dollars. We needed that money for Joey Devine and Tyler Yates. Quality pitchers like that. The guy has lost it. Or, maybe we all gave him waaaaaaay too big a pass these last 7 or 8 years. What other GM could stay with all of those moves blowing up in his face? P.S. Roger McDowell is the worst pitching coach I have ever seen, but he stays? He made about 5 mound visits last year. This is disgusting.

God, don't get me started on Scheurholz' bad trades. Ohhhhh lord, he's made some bad trades in the past 10 years.

Starting from 1996 (his last good trade - got Denny Neagle for 3 A/AA prospects). He didn't make another good one until he got Gary Sheffield in 2001 (and that was just ok, as Odalis Perez went on to be good).

During that period, he spun these gems

Neagle/prospects for 1 season of Brett Boone

Boone/Klesko for Veras/Sanders (Boone/Klesko become MVP cand.)

Justice/Grissom for 1 season of Kenny Lofton

Dye for Keith Lockhart and Michael Tucker

I'm sure I'm forgetting some. I remember there were several stinkers in that 5 year span and no good ones.

In recent years, he's done a little better, but still made some awful deals.

I liked the deal for Juan Cruz, actually. Ditto for Tim Hudson. Renteria was fair. Russ Ortiz was acquired for little. The Hampton deal was actually pretty good, considering we pay less than half his salary. You mention Jaret Wright and Matt Diaz, but those were great finds.

On the flip side, these were horrid:

Kolb!

Reitsma!

OMG JD DREW (WHAT? Marquis AND Wainright?)

The whole Millwood fiasco, then turning around and trading Johnny Estrada at the bottom of his value

• Moderators

Quote:

Mike Hampton told Tom Glavine that he, Hampton, informed the Braves that he would restructure his contract to see if they could have the two lefties for something close to the $15M Hampton gets in 2007. No interest, and Glavine never got an offer from Atlanta.

Quote:

Quote:

Mike Hampton told Tom Glavine that he, Hampton, informed the Braves that he would restructure his contract to see if they could have the two lefties for something close to the $15M Hampton gets in 2007. No interest, and Glavine never got an offer from Atlanta.

it happened with the AROD deal. ARod agreed to defer some money or let some go altogether to get to Boston and the NLPA stepped in.

also it happened with Sammy Sosa a few years back. he tried to void a year off his contract or something to get out of Chicago and the NLPA stepped in. i just don't think you can change your deal around in baseball like you can in the NFL.

Chipper has restructured his deal. It's not the same, but it can be done. Are you saying Chuck James is close to Glavine? WTF? I like Chuck, but Glavine is one of the greatest pitchers to ever live! You trust Chuck to stop a 3 game skid? Plus, there's the whole leadership variable. I'm hoping Chuck can give us 10-14 wins. If that's what you're talking about.

Quote:

Quote:

Wow! That makes me sick. I had issues with Tom too, but signing him would have been the right thing to do. For the history of the Braves, it would have been the right thing to do. Schuerholz doesn't give a damn about us. Never has. Never will. His attitude would be acceptable if we had won 3 or 4 world titles. We haven't.

Quote:

Chipper has restructured his deal. It's not the same, but it can be done. Are you saying Chuck James is close to Glavine? WTF? I like Chuck, but Glavine is one of the greatest pitchers to ever live! You trust Chuck to stop a 3 game skid? Plus, there's the whole leadership variable. I'm hoping Chuck can give us 10-14 wins. If that's what you're talking about.

Tom Glavine was one of the greatest pitchers to ever live!