If the Season ended now, is JJ MVP?

TexasPete

I know it sounds crazy. And I know Lebron would win it because he not only is a great player he is hyped to the max. But, if you think about it, has anyone been more valuable to his team than JJ? Honestly, he has carried us all year on his back. We sustain a HUGE loss in Marvin and then lose Chill for almost the whole year to this point. And we still don't have Chill for another month or more.

We also lose AL's offense which wouldn't have been a big deal had Marvin and Chill not gotten hurt.

Joe Johnson is the league MVP through 15 games in my opinion. No player has meant more to his team with the possible exception of LBJ. Would JJ be considered? Of course not. He plays for the Hawks and we still are a media whipping boy. But, if Marvin comes back and produces we can hang in the playoff race. And if Chill comes back to a healthy team we actually are pretty good in a bad Eastern Conference. By almost any definition, JJ should be an MVP candidate right now.

If the season ended now, JJ would have become a top 4 scorer while improving his percentages and maintaining great numbers across the board, all in an effort to help an injury riddled cellar dweller improve to become a top 5 team in the conference...I think he would certainly be in the mix.

As long as he gets his much deserved All Star invitation, I will be happy.

If after 82 games the Hawks are in the playoffs with a .500 or better record and he's still a top 10 scorer, I think he'll get very serious consideration. That would be a heck of an accomplishment.

The MVP talk is a little premature, but Joe Johnson is clearly an All-Star player. Unfortunately, the NBA lets the fans determine who will start, so that means that Dwyane Wade and LeBron James will get the votes while Joe is picked by the coaching staff as a reserve. The fact is though, Joe Johnson averages more points per game and shoots a better percentage from the field, the three point line, and the free thrown line than Wade and James do, and IMO, he should be the starting guard over Wade. It's a tough call though.

I'm a little concerned that the load he is carrying will wear him down. We need another scorer bad and I hope Marvin can provide some of that. JJ also played all summer in a very competitive situation so he had zero time to rest. I hope that doesn't catch up with him. The bottom line is we need Chill and Marvin back so we can give this guy a rest. I'd like to see him play 37-40 minutes...right now he has to be on the court almost all the time for us to have a chance to win.

jj is more likely to win mvp than to get voted into the all-star game

he will NOT get voted in because fans will not vote him over wade/lebron/ai/kidd/etc etc

he has a GREAT shot at coach's choice for all-star tho

and he has a good shot at mvp...earlier this year he was tracking in the top 10 for mvp watch...not sure if he still is, but he is top 5 in the league in scoring and he has lead the team (or tied for lead) in scoring in EVERY SINGLE game this year...if we make the playoffs, then he has a great case for MVP

Quote:

JJ also played all summer in a very competitive situation so he had zero time to rest. I hope that doesn't catch up with him.

If he was tired from the summer I figured it would have shown up already. I just think JJ is one of those guys who is so well conditioned that he can handle big minutes.

I am more concerned about the mental fatigue of having to carry the team. Let's hope that Marvin can come in and produce because JJ needs some help.

I would also like to see more offense from Shelden and Speedy.

I hope that Smith can just keep playing the way he has the last two games.

Speedy averaged 12.3 ppg last year. What in the heck happened? This guy can't score a bucket standing alone in the gym right now. He would have to improve to even be considered a bust right at the moment.

He needs to step up and help with the load...he can't play any worse. But this is a major sign that BK needs to stop beating around the bush with fringe PG's and get us a REAL PG. JJ needs help...Speedy is a major candidate to step up. One game Speedy needs to score 20 and break out. Do you realize he scored 30 against us last year?

JJ has as good a case for MVP as anyone...the team is squarely on his back.

Quote:

Speedy averaged 12.3 ppg last year. What in the heck happened? This guy can't score a bucket standing alone in the gym right now. He would have to improve to even be considered a bust right at the moment.

He needs to step up and help with the load...he can't play any worse. But this is a major sign that BK needs to stop beating around the bush with fringe PG's and get us a REAL PG. JJ needs help...Speedy is a major candidate to step up. One game Speedy needs to score 20 and break out. Do you realize he scored 30 against us last year?

JJ has as good a case for MVP as anyone...the team is squarely on his back.

Hey TP i know Speedy is strugling with his offensive game, but he is playing his ass off on the defensive end. Did you watc the game last night when Speedy went to the floor like three times and got the loose ball. He is helping in the post and getting steals from the big guys, i know that post defenders appreciate that.

• Moderators

I posted an article a week or two ago from an ESPN writer who picked JJ as his MVP for the first week or two of the season. You aren't alone in thinking he has been doing big things for this team.

However, like somebody said, the MVP goes to the best player on one of the elite teams in the league (think how much hype AI got for MVP last year) and we won't be good enough to give him a chance at the award.

Quote:

jj is more likely to win mvp than to get voted into the all-star game

he will NOT get voted in because fans will not vote him over wade/lebron/ai/kidd/etc etc

he has a GREAT shot at coach's choice for all-star tho

Fans only vote in the starters unless they changed it. He will definately make the AS team if we're even within 5-10 games of .500.