• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Refs not calling them as they see them ! !

HAWKEYE

Top 14 NBA Leaders

Foul points

Anthony 119

Iverson 154

Redd 152

Johnson 79

Wade 158

James 125

Carter 112

Arenas 127

Bryant 116

Randolph 154

Pierce 130

Allen 100

Yao 131

Nowitzki 138

Gentleman JJ needs to sound off more. We all were aware of this before the season started but it is costing the team valuable points esp. with closeness of a lot of these games.

I'm sure Woody is doing his share from the sidelines but the constant camera closeups of his just taking fouls in stride needs to change. (Comments)

• Premium Member

Very true. But there are two problems right now. Joe is quiet by nature and the Hawks have been a cellar dwellar team for the past 7 years. So that means that they won't get calls as a team and there is no vocal star player to complain when they don't. If you look at players like Dwayne Wade, Kobe Bryant, and Lebron James, they get way too many calls that can be described as "phantom" fouls. Joe never seems to get the same advantage as other stars in this league. I have noticed that he has been getting more calls as of late though, but there's been this issue of making free throws in crunch time. confused.gif

Quote:

Joe is more than a pure jump shooter when he drives to the basket and goes inside he does'nt get the calls. He is one of the best players in the game today he should and he deserves to get the same calls the other guy's get.

i understand he does more than shoot, however why was he on team USA? because he's a shooter.

if i'm an NBA referee show me you're more than a one trick pony over the course of 82 games. what he did last year is of little circumstance at this point. he got squat for All-star consideration.

this is the year Joe can show the NBA he has arrived. he'll start getting the calls as the Hawks pile up wins.

• Moderators

He doesn't deserve as many foul calls as most of these guys, though. I love JJ but he doesn't initiate contact like most of the guys on that list. That is what gets you to the line. JJ frequently takes (and hits) that looping shot from close inside instead of getting his man in the air and taking it into the defender.

I don't think the disparity should be as glaring as it is and someone like Redd or Allen is probably a decent benchmark but post players and guys like Wade, Lebron, etc. who initiate contact by going to the hole a lot more than JJ are going to get more calls than JJ, all things being equal.

Quote:

He doesn't deserve as many foul calls as most of these guys, though. I love JJ but he doesn't initiate contact like most of the guys on that list. That is what gets you to the line. JJ frequently takes (and hits) that looping shot from close inside instead of getting his man in the air and taking it into the defender.

Exactly.

A pet peeve of mine is people looking at FT attempts and acting as if each player should get the same amount. Well actually I get more annoyed when people act like a game wasn't called fairly because one team got more attempts than another. Not every player / team gets fouled the same amount.

When I watch Joe play, I don't see a lot of uncalled fouls. That being said, when Lebron and Wade play, I do see a lot of phantom fouls being called. JJ is a strong finesse player whose whole game is based on getting separation from his man to hit the open shot. In the post he goes for the floater when his man is off balance. Players who attack the rim and try to finish with contact are the ones who get a lot of FTs. Hell I wouldn't be surprised if Marvin gets more FT attempts per game than JJ once he's full strength. I would like to see JJ attack the rim a little more late in the game, but then again there's a reason why he leads the league in consecutive games played despite heavy minutes.

I think that overall this year, we've gotten basically fair refereeing. Last year we got screwed a good bit, and bad calls directly cost us about 4-5 games.

Shows you how great a player Joe Johnson is.

Not only is he on this young, inexperienced team.

Not only is he getting double teamed constantly with no outlet scorer.

But he is also earning his points from the field instead of getting phantom foul calls going his way like the rest of the superstars that ESPN creates.

You have to wonder how many PPG Joe could get if he drew that many fouls.

Personally, Im not worried about Joe getting calls because of lack of respect.

Im more worried about BS foul calls against our team because we're playing Superstars.

Games like tonight are very dangerous. We're on the road against an NBA Superstar. Being the Hawks, and he being Kobe Bryant at home, he's going to get some of the most BS calls you'll ever see. Those calls are a lot more damaging, than JJ not getting his fair share of calls.

Quote:

Quote:

Exactly.

A pet peeve of mine is people looking at FT attempts and acting as if each player should get the same amount. Well actually I get more annoyed when people act like a game wasn't called fairly because one team got more attempts than another. Not every player / team gets fouled the same amount.

When I watch Joe play, I don't see a lot of uncalled fouls. That being said, when Lebron and Wade play, I do see a lot of phantom fouls being called. JJ is a strong finesse player whose whole game is based on getting separation from his man to hit the open shot. In the post he goes for the floater when his man is off balance. Players who attack the rim and try to finish with contact are the ones who get a lot of FTs. Hell I wouldn't be surprised if Marvin gets more FT attempts per game than JJ once he's full strength. I would like to see JJ attack the rim a little more late in the game, but then again there's a reason why he leads the league in consecutive games played despite heavy minutes.

I think that overall this year, we've gotten basically fair refereeing. Last year we got screwed a good bit, and bad calls directly cost us about 4-5 games.

Well put by both of you guys. Remember that "foul" against Zack Randolph? There was like .06 left on the clock, or something like that. Same thing with Redd, this year.

I think the worst call I've ever seen is against Portland (I believe) when Smith soared for a rebound at the end of the game, and he jumped so high that the ref thought he had to have pulled himself up with the rim and called it an illegal assist with the rim. That call stole that game from us.