• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Does JJ have the killer instict to be a champion?

jerrywest

Quote:

Why do you think he came here in the first place? He wanted to be the man. If he was content to be a good role player (like Sheed) he would have stayed with the Suns.

The only thing he really lacks is explosive athleticism.

Sometimes, players without edge change teams for some other reasons. I think every nba player wants to be the man, even Freije. I wonder if JJ wants to be superman.

He's got the talent, but doesn't have the THING that drives a star to demand the most from his teammates. Nothing against Joe, but he's far too quiet. I watched CP3 closely last night, and in just his second year that little guy is in full command of ALL his teammates while on the court. They listen to him and follow his lead. Ray Felton does the same in Charlotte. Many others that have that THING do this as well. Joe could/should be that 'choir director' here, but he's not given to that. ...and that's too bad.

Quote:

He's got the talent, but doesn't have the THING that drives a star to demand the most from his teammates. Nothing against Joe, but he's far too quiet. I watched CP3 closely last night, and in just his second year that little guy is in full command of ALL his teammates while on the court. They listen to him and follow his lead. Ray Felton does the same in Charlotte. Many others that have that THING do this as well. Joe could/should be that 'choir director' here, but he's not given to that. ...and that's too bad.

I don't think so as well. just look like a great role player to me on a team where he a star, kinda like Mitch Richmond or Glen Rice.

Joe Johnson is carrying this team on his back. What is being debated here? You want leadership? How about a guy that comes through time and again, that puts this team on his back and carries them home? You want a jackass like LeBron? Is that what you mean? Don't like the quiet guys that lead behind the scenes and on the court with their play? I have heard that King James is a ass clown. Coach K almost cut him because of it. Didn't want to deal with his drama. That the kind of leader you want?

You know what JJ lacks? He lacks a supporting cast and a decent head coach. There. Anybody debating JJ's "killer instinct either hasn't been watching, doesn't know much, or is looking desperately for a message board topic. This man delivers in every way imaginable and that some are picking this apart is bizarre. This team has more important things to ponder than JJ.

No question Joe's carrying the team in terms of production; don't know very many sane individuals who'd argue that point. Most young teams need leadership from both the coaching staff (and I'm not sure how much we're getting from this quarter) and from a player or two. We're the youngest team in the league, and have been for a couple of years. IMO the guys would very much benefit from verbal directions and admonitions from Joe. They obviously respect him immensely (as they should). His personality is HIS personality. Not saying he should do a Jekyll-to-Hyde transformation; just saying it's too bad (for the team) that he's not given to more verbal displays of admonition and directions.

Some guys have that attribute, some don't. Put me down as a BIG (I mean that figuratively of course) supporter of Joe JUST AS HE IS. And while Sharon Stone will more than suffice, can't I at least fantasize about Halle Berry?

Quote:

Joe Johnson is carrying this team on his back. What is being debated here? You want leadership? How about a guy that comes through time and again, that puts this team on his back and carries them home? You want a jackass like LeBron? Is that what you mean? Don't like the quiet guys that lead behind the scenes and on the court with their play? I have heard that King James is a ass clown. Coach K almost cut him because of it. Didn't want to deal with his drama. That the kind of leader you want?

You know what JJ lacks? He lacks a supporting cast and a decent head coach. There. Anybody debating JJ's "killer instinct either hasn't been watching, doesn't know much, or is looking desperately for a message board topic. This man delivers in every way imaginable and that some are picking this apart is bizarre. This team has more important things to ponder than JJ.

You are driving this thread to the wrong direction. Nobody here is doubting his talent or if he shows up on the playoffs. I am sure he does. I am not talking about talkative leadership of Paul/Felton. I am not even asking if he can lead. He is a legit superstar. No doubt.

What I am asking is if he has that "REFUSE" to lose killer instinct.

My bad jerrywest. I assumed your thread went to matters beyond those traits that would make Joe a 'better player' to those Joe traits that would assist the team even more.

On traits that'll make Joe a better Joe, I like him just as he is. I think he's got the heart of a lion, and the tenacity and talent to just shred his prey. However, to be a successful lion in this NBA game, you've gotta hunt with a pack of at least four others. Sometimes, especially when the others are so very young and inexperienced, they would benefit greatly from the fatherly guidance and direction of the master hunter.

Quote:

...What I am asking is if he has that "REFUSE" to lose killer instinct.

I don't think that question can be answered one way or the other right now. Until JJ has at least a healthy team around him to give him a reasonable chance we won't know. Even Jordan needed a good second fiddle and some help in the paint.

What we will see now is how the rest of our guys react to him being out. If all we do is get drilled while JJ is out - we'll know there is more work to be done.

Personally, I see no reason that we can't give the Nuggets a game tonight.

Quote:

My bad jerrywest. I assumed your thread went to matters beyond those traits that would make Joe a 'better player' to those Joe traits that would assist the team even more.

On traits that'll make Joe a better Joe, I like him just as he is. I think he's got the heart of a lion, and the tenacity and talent to just shred his prey. However, to be a successful lion in this NBA game, you've gotta hunt with a pack of at least four others. Sometimes, especially when the others are so very young and inexperienced, they would benefit greatly from the fatherly guidance and direction of the master hunter.

LOL good post to a ....uh....less than intelligent topic.

Quote:

Quote:

He has all the talent to be a superstar, but does he have the edge?

if he had any more edge, he'd fall off a cliff...

I agree that JJ is remarkable, but isn't he too nice to everybody? Can he grow the killer instinct to [censored] at the referees when he doesn't get the call? Can he force the coach to see what he has missed from the courtside? Can he make his teammates feel that they have to pull through or they'll hear it from JJ? Like the great ones did...

BK threw his career on the line for JJ. Will JJ demand a trade if Belkin wins?

Exodus - time to open a poll "Who wants Diaw back?".

Quote:

Exodus - time to open a poll "Who wants Diaw back?".

Yeah that makes sense.

My thread was addressing the constant debate over the Marvin draft pick. To me it is basic common sense that they made the wrong pick. Even though i am pulling for Marvin I am not blind to reality.

Basically i felt like Walter and Diesel were arguing the point over and over even though the argument was already decided.

However I was surprised to find that many here would still rather have Marvin than Deron or Paul in spite of all the evidence that they would have been better picks.

I know most people understood the point of my thread.

Quote:

Michael Jordan had that "instinct". He has had absolutely horrible games where he was like 2 for 14 in shots and he would be verbally tearing into Kerr and the others to pick up his slack because he was not getting it done and they were "expected" to pick his slack.

• Moderators

Quote:

Quote:

Michael Jordan had that "instinct". He has had absolutely horrible games where he was like 2 for 14 in shots and he would be verbally tearing into Kerr and the others to pick up his slack because he was not getting it done and they were "expected" to pick his slack.

Tim Duncan has multiple rings and a similar demeanor to JJ. I don't have a problem with his edge.

• Moderators

Quote:

Basically i felt like Walter and Diesel were arguing the point over and over even though the argument was already decided.

However I was surprised to find that many here would still rather have Marvin than Deron or Paul in spite of all the evidence that they would have been better picks.

I know most people understood the point of my thread.

I understand the point of your thread. However, I think you are giving "many" a little more credit than is due. 18% voted for Marvin which is less than 1 out of 5 and some of those voted because they don't think Marvin has been given enough time to show what he has. The overwhelming majority agreed that the evidence suggests Deron or Paul would have made better picks. I think the poll actually proves your point.