• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Wow Look at Iverson!!!

gutz

I know most here didn't want anything to do with AI but come on people. We cry constantly about not having another LEGIT 2nd scorer next to JJ but we totally pass on AI. This guy has dished out 10+ ast. his first 3 games with Denver and is scoring at will. Considering all that Philly got really was 2 late 1st round picks its pretty obvious we could have got AI for Marvin or Chill plus LO/Indy 1st rounder. Thats nothing really to give up considering our logjam at the forward spot. AI is flat out awesome after I watched him last night when they beat Seattle. The guy is not JUST a ballhog as most of you say. He pushes the tempo which is what OUR team needs to do and dished the rock quite frequently actually all the while getting his 25+ shots and scoring over 30 every game. Him and JJ in the backcourt would have been just INSANE. Along with Smoove, Chill or Marvin, Zaza, Shelden and so on this team would be in the playoffs this year and possibly farther than the first round in the WEAK Eastern conference. Right now the Hawks have no legit 2nd scorer period and JJ is getting triple teamed every game now and we SUCK. With AI he would have opened up the scoring floodgates for EVERY player on our team. JJ would get open looks from 3 constantly. He would make Smoove look incredible throwing alley hoops and dishing to him on the drive for dunks and layups as well. It just baffles me how pathetic our GM is to not even pursue AI when its clear we didn't have to give up the farm to obtain him. I'm sure Philly would have wanted a young player like Marvin or Chill and a 1st rounder in the teens rather than a 31yr. PG in Miller(with hefty contract) and 2 late 1st round picks(late 20's). AND I know you all will come and say " well it doesn't fix our interior defensive problem" Well with AI on board I don't think it would have mattered as much since we would be running teams out of the gym and outscoring them nightly. Plus Shelden and Solomon are only going to get better on the defensive end with more playing time. Getting Iverson would have been the right thing to do for this floundering franchise period.

With Carmelo and JR Smith out AI is dominating the ball the same as he always has. Sure he had 44/10 but with 9 turnovers it is obvious the ball was in his hands all game.

The true test will be how he plays when Melo comes back. Right now he is playing the same role he played in Philly.

Although I agree with you...and correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the court order we're under prevents us from obtaining anyone with more than a year left on their contract. If so doesn't that take AI out of BK's range. Therefore management cannot be blamed. Now if I'm Philly, there's no way in hell AI would have went to a team in the East.

Trust me when Melo and JR come back AI is will change his game and not dominate the ball. He will still average over 7-8 ast. a game though easily. Point is we should have went after AI for a number of reasons like I stated above. He would have made this team so much better with his play along with his experience which we CLEARLY lack. Shoot plus he would have put money in the owners pockets.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Trust me when Melo and JR come back AI is will change his game and not dominate the ball. He will still average over 7-8 ast. a game though easily. Point is we should have went after AI for a number of reasons like I stated above. He would have made this team so much better with his play along with his experience which we CLEARLY lack. Shoot plus he would have put money in the owners pockets.

Good points. He is EXACTLY what this team needs. But hey, we got Medvedenko so that should make up for it. confused.gif

Quote:

Trust me when Melo and JR come back AI is will change his game and not dominate the ball.

He's dominated the ball his whole career, even in college. What makes you think he will suddenly stop doing that now?

BTW Seatle was playing without Allen and Rashard. And opposing teams are shooting 48% against them on the season. It should be a surprise that AI got off against them.

• Moderators

Quote:

Quote:

Trust me when Melo and JR come back AI is will change his game and not dominate the ball.

He's dominated the ball his whole career, even in college. What makes you think he will suddenly stop doing that now?

BTW Seatle was playing without Allen and Rashard. And opposing teams are shooting 48% against them on the season. It should be a surprise that AI got off against them.

Exactly right. AI has played his usual game so far with a much better supporting cast than he has enjoyed in years.

What will happen when Melo and JR return is the key question. We'll see what happens.

My point exactly!! When has he EVER remotely come close to playing with a player like Melo? You think Melo isn't going to get his points still? Your crazy if you think Melo won't still get 25+ pts a game. Denver is going to be downright nasty in the playoffs if everyone there stays healthy. Iverson would have solved a lot of problems our YOUNG Hawks are having right now. Period the end! ANd we would easily be in the playoffs and probably go very deep considering how AWFUL the East is this year. AI and JJ would have been one of the best backcourts in the NBA in some time.

Your right but with JJ here and our young talent in Smoove and Chill I think he would realize he could take this team to the playoffs easily especially in the Eastern Conference. And AI loves the ATL from what I've heard. He has a home here too!

• Premium Member

Quote:

Your right but with JJ here and our young talent in Smoove and Chill I think he would realize he could take this team to the playoffs easily especially in the Eastern Conference. And AI loves the ATL from what I've heard. He has a home here too!

And you can add to that the fact that we had a pretty decent record at the time all of this Iverson trade stuff came up. I believe it was OUR decision not to go through with it, not HIS. If I'm correct, BK actually called Philly about him but stated that they wanted our "young talent" and that he was not willing to give that up. I agree with that up to a point, but if they wanted Marv,Lo Wright+Indiana 1st rounder, how can you NOT make that deal? confused.gif

• Moderators

Quote:

Quote:

And you can add to that the fact that we had a pretty decent record at the time all of this Iverson trade stuff came up. I believe it was OUR decision not to go through with it, not HIS. If I'm correct, BK actually called Philly about him but stated that they wanted our "young talent" and that he was not willing to give that up. I agree with that up to a point, but if they wanted Marv,Lo Wright+Indiana 1st rounder, how can you NOT make that deal? confused.gif

Philly would definitely have jumped all over that deal, IMO.

Thats what i'm saying. That deal is way better for philly. They wanted a young talent, 1st round pick and expiring contracts. We could have given them all 3 and acquire one of the best players in the NBA. Just stupid in my book!

• Premium Member

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Philly would definitely have jumped all over that deal, IMO.

Then why didn't we make it happen? Do you realize what that deal would have done to the sports culture in the city of Atlanta? I know a lot of people on this board loathe Iverson, but you have to admit that that trade would have easily made the Hawks the most exciting team in the East.

I totally agree Hawkman! It just hurts that we didn't make a play for him. Honestly all I think he really needed was a change of scenery and a actually all-star to play next to like a Melo or a JJ. Plus the owners would be instantly rich because Phillips would be selling out every night. But then again maybe the ownership issues kept us from getting AI but BK did say he contacted Philly about AI so that tells me we could have traded for him.

Quote:

Denver is going to be downright nasty in the playoffs if everyone there stays healthy.

There is a difference between fantasy basketball and team basketball. Denver was averaging 108 ppg before Melo got suspended which was second in the league. They weren't exactly struggling to score.

Just watch dude. I don't understand why you were so against getting AI when he clearly could lead this team of youngsters out of the dumpster were in now. For one we wouldn't be so damn scared out there with all the pressure Woody is putting on them for someone to step up and be that 2nd scorer. AI would have been the ANSWER!

• Premium Member

Quote:

I totally agree Hawkman! It just hurts that we didn't make a play for him. Honestly all I think he really needed was a change of scenery and a actually all-star to play next to like a Melo or a JJ. Plus the owners would be instantly rich because Phillips would be selling out every night. But then again maybe the ownership issues kept us from getting AI but BK did say he contacted Philly about AI so that tells me we could have traded for him.

I read an article which compared Iverson's situation to that of Charles Barkley. Barkley didn't exactly have a sterling reputation at the time he was traded. In fact, many here would have thought of him as a selfish, lazy, ballhog who could be a potential locker room cancer. But look what he did in Phoenix! Our team was made for Iverson. We have no offensive sets and none of our players can create their own offense(except for JJ). Iverson would have compensated for all of our coaching and player shortcomings by lauching the break and improvising with either a shot or a pass. Nobody can stay in front him, so that would make the penetrate and kickout easy. Could you imagine a pick and roll with him and JJ? We blew this one. We had our chance for relevance and we blew it because we were too scared to take a chance. PATHETIC!!!!! mad.gif