• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

This team would contend for a title if only

Guest Walter

I know the idea of "tanking" is unpopular simply because of how it sounds. With ownership not likely to spend money, a top pick in the draft is the only significant menas I envision to change the talent fortunes of this franchise. I don't expect it to be "popular" but I am citing the poll to see what choice people here believe will actually bring about what I hope is everyone's goal, NBA title contention.

W

Quote:

I know the idea of "tanking" is unpopular simply because of how it sounds. With ownership not likely to spend money, a top pick in the draft is the only significant menas I envision to change the talent fortunes of this franchise. I don't expect it to be "popular" but I am citing the poll to see what choice people here believe will actually bring about what I hope is everyone's goal, NBA title contention.

W

you don't tank it this year...last year? sure. year before that, sure...but not this year....we have our young players, now they need to learn to win...

we cannot count on getting oden.

Quote:

we cannot count on getting oden.

I'm not counting on getting him. I'm counting on whoever we get being either a franchise player and/or the last most important, most difficult to acquire piece as a dominant center.

Quote:

you don't tank it this year...last year? sure. year before that, sure...but not this year....we have our young players, now they need to learn to win...

I think it's the other way around. I think you do tank this year for three important reasons. 1) the talent in this year's draft unlike last year's is worth tanking for, 2) the primary position available within the top of this draft is the one we most need filled, 3) Last year we focused upon making a step up, content upon showing improvement at the cost of a draft position or two. Didn't make a difference. We are not here to coddle our players or seak out moral victories anymore.

Can we "count on" getting a top 3 pick? No. But the odds of winning it if we have one of the 3 worst records are significantly better than our young players "learning how to win" at this point without enough talent and at the right positions. I guarantee you Greg Oden or any of the 3 top draft picks this year would do more for our young talent "learning how to win" than winning themselves to a 6th worst overall record.

Frankly, I believe its odd that last year it was perfectly OK to "tank", but "oh, not this year. Definitely not this year. Can't hurt the kids like that THIS YEAR." especially when THIS YEAR has more talent at 4-5 than last year did at 1, there are 3 centers in the top 5 picks, and we're again on pace to do it with JS out.

W

I have no issues with Billy Knight. I know some of you have issues with him, but the team that dominated Utah for three quarters and played better than Chicago for 47 minutes is the team that Billy Knight constructed - It was a group of good players who complement each other in the right style of play.

However, the coach brought in does not play the right style of play. He does not have ANY style of play. Woodson has two plays: Zaza pick for JJ, and look confused on the sidelines. It's possible that he could be a good defensive coach for a team that has a bunch of hard-nosed, rugged defenders, but this is not that team. And he has failed to connect with anyone on this team, as evidenced by the consistent inability to close out games.

Injuries can shift the blame to a certain extent. However, not being able to close out games on a consistent basis makes it evident that the fault lies with Woodson.

It's quite evident to me, though, that for this team to succeed, it needs three things: A healthy Joe Johnson, a healthy Josh Smith, and someone other than JJ to distribute.

The first one is obvious. The second, because Smith is the heart of this team, and the only person who is really a low post threat on defense. The third, because Johnson can't be expected to do anything.

Obviously, I'd like to have another top 3 pick. The same as I'd like a defensive big. Unfortunately, you didn't allow that choice with the option of keeping BK.

Quote:

Obviously, I'd like to have another top 3 pick. The same as I'd like a defensive big. Unfortunately, you didn't allow that choice with the option of keeping BK.

You do realize that BK would be fired if we had one of the 3 worst records this season. Would and should be fired. You can't with any credibility retain the pick and GM.

W

Quote:

Quote:

You do realize that BK would be fired if we had one of the 3 worst records this season. Would and should be fired. You can't with any credibility retain the pick and GM.

W

Fair enough. I guess the point that I was trying to make is that the team needs "a new manager and one more piece," though the new piece takes a back seat.

I know how the word "tank" is the equivalent to "quit" for many and they won't entertain it no matter what. I think not entertaining it is long-term resignation to AT BEST mediocrity given how bad we are, how ownership can not help us, and how, without retaining a top 3 pick, we won't have a lottery pick due to the JJ trade, but I'm still suprised 6 (relatively quiet for understandable reasons) of 13 fans would "tank".

It's tough to be a dissenter around here. Glad to know I'm not alone.

W

• Moderators

I don't fully understand this thread.

Are you asking how this team could be a contender this season, in the future, etc.?

There is no way this team could be a title contender this season.

There is not only one way the team can be a title contender in the future.

Anything beyond 3 years might imply a whole-sale, RE-rebuild which certainly does not apply here.

Quote:

There is no way this team could be a title contender this season.

Thus, tank.

Quote:

There is not only one way the team can be a title contender in the future.

In the NEAR future there is only one way. With the ownership situation likely not to be resolved by this offseason (given certain appeals no matter what is decided) we cannot look to ownership to solve our problems with money (as if there was a FA that could do that this offseason). Even if you believe there is a mere possibility we could somehow contend in some other undescribed manner (because AHF, you don't describe exactly how you believe it could happen otherwise), the likelihood is statistically FAR lesser than even winning a top 3 pick and that top 3 pick not significantly helping the team towards that end.

W

Quote:

W

So your bright idea is to give up a whole season for, at most, a 65% chance of getting a top 3 pick? That is the best chance we could get if we had the worst record in the league. The idea of tanking is dumb on so many levels.

Quote:

So your bright idea is to give up a whole season for, at
most
, a 65% chance of getting a top 3 pick? That is the best chance we could get if we had the worst record in the league. The idea of tanking is dumb on so many levels.

I agree. The year to tank was the Terry Stotts year. We are past the point of no return. Our aim should be to win as much as possible, try to attract FAs and get a trade to get a better balanced roster. I mean let's be real, anyone who has followed the hawks knows damn well that we would end up getting the 4th pick which would go to Phoenix.

Let's get healthy, get competitive, and try to learn how to win the close ones so we can carry it over to next year.

Guest Walter

Quote:

Quote:

So your bright idea is to give up a whole season for, at
most
, a 65% chance of getting a top 3 pick? That is the best chance we could get if we had the worst record in the league. The idea of tanking is dumb on so many levels.

We are past the point of no return. Our aim should be to win as much as possible, try to attract FAs and get a trade to get a better balanced roster.

Lascar, our ownership WON'T SPEND and you can't name an impact FA that would come here regardless so your"try to attract a FA" plan is dead on arrival. You KNOW this but you'd rather be resigned to a long-term fail fate than try anything that has my seal of approval. How little of you. An AT BEST 65% chance is a hell-of-alot better than AT BEST long term resignation.

All you guys are mad about is the fact you don't have any idea what to do. You keep pretending we have enough talent, at the right positions, chemistry will do the trick (it's getting worse not better), patience, spending the ownership won't do, or a FA that doesn't exist regardless. THESE ARE NOT EVEN IDEAS much less credible ones. A sad as it is, tanking is BY FAR the best out of a whole lot of bad (sounding) ideas. And suprisingly, as bad as tanking sounds and as early as it is, the "voting" in this poll demonstrates its not outside the mainstream. Quit treating the idea like it is.

W

...but this is definitely one of them. The same went for the Howard/Oden/Livingston draft, and certainly for the LeBron, Wade, Melo, Bosh draft. There haven't been many such drafts in history. This year's draft though, has the potential to be one of the very best ever.

You can't tank if there's just one good player. Well, you shouldn't, unless you haven't much choice. However, if there are 3 franchise players or more, and you have no hope of making the playoffs....you should tank your ass off and never look back.

We probably won't get Oden, even if we're the very worst team in the league. However, we'll probably get a franchise player if we're just top 3. Oden, Durant, and Thabeet all have that potential. Oden's almost a lock. Durant is almost a lock offensively. Thabeet is almost a lock defensively. Three big men of this caliber haven't topped a draft board since 1993. Yes, that was the year of Shaq, Mourning, Laettner, and Gugliotta.

All four of those players became all-stars. Two of the four were MVP candidates and staples of perennial contenders.

Just a few weeks ago, we were 7-8, and I was thinking playoffs. Then, we went 2-12 over the last 14 and I'm thinking lottery. We have no chance of going the required 33-19 to make the playoffs without our top defender.

Some of you will wish for a little run at the end to complete scuttle our chances at greatness. I say wise up. We need one more high pick, not 28 wins to ensure improvement. You put Oden on this team, and we go from the dregs of the NBA to a yearly contender. You put Durant on this team and make a few shrewd trades, and we're still a contender. Tell me that a front line of SW, Smoove, and Thabeet wouldn't be jaw-dropping defensively.

I have climbed aboard the tank engine, and I'm not coming off until next year.

Guest Walter

Quote:

...but this is definitely one of them. The same went for the Howard/Oden/Livingston draft, and certainly for the LeBron, Wade, Melo, Bosh draft. There haven't been many such drafts in history. This year's draft though, has the potential to be one of the very best ever.

You can't tank if there's just one good player. Well, you shouldn't, unless you haven't much choice. However, if there are 3 franchise players or more, and you have no hope of making the playoffs....you should tank your ass off and never look back.

We probably won't get Oden, even if we're the very worst team in the league. However, we'll probably get a franchise player if we're just top 3. Oden, Durant, and Thabeet all have that potential. Oden's almost a lock. Durant is almost a lock offensively. Thabeet is almost a lock defensively. Three big men of this caliber haven't topped a draft board since 1993. Yes, that was the year of Shaq, Mourning, Laettner, and Gugliotta.

All four of those players became all-stars. Two of the four were MVP candidates and staples of perennial contenders.

Just a few weeks ago, we were 7-8, and I was thinking playoffs. Then, we went 2-12 over the last 14 and I'm thinking lottery. We have no chance of going the required 33-19 to make the playoffs without our top defender.

Some of you will wish for a little run at the end to complete scuttle our chances at greatness. I say wise up. We need one more high pick, not 28 wins to ensure improvement. You put Oden on this team, and we go from the dregs of the NBA to a yearly contender. You put Durant on this team and make a few shrewd trades, and we're still a contender. Tell me that a front line of SW, Smoove, and Thabeet wouldn't be jaw-dropping defensively.

I have climbed aboard the tank engine, and I'm not coming off until next year.

Well put. Unfortunately some people want to sit on this team's franchise future for a grand total of 28 wins. I'll never get it.

W

Quote:

We have no chance of going the required 33-19 to make the playoffs without our top defender

We have to go 33-19shocked.gif I didn't realize that. I want this team to be good also but fudge it. As much as I hate to watch the Hawks lose I think I just slipped and fell under the tank. I'll be riding the wheels like a cartoon.

Guest Walter

Quote:

We have to go 33-19
shocked.gif
I didn't realize that. I want this team to be good also but fudge it. As much as I hate to watch the Hawks lose I think I just slipped and fell under the tank. I'll be riding the wheels like a cartoon.

There's no shame on this cartoon bus.

We really need to get Sekou Smith in on this and a few other, potentially influential note-worthies.

W