• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Name the impact FA willing to sign into this chaos

Guest Walter

...for no more than 4 years and for roughly the MLE?

We've seen ownership's new spending. It involves players like Speedy signed to 4 year deals for essentially MLE money. The ownership and team cap wallet is even tighter now. What "impact" player do we get under these conditions and restrictions?

I want names.

W

Is it possible to sign Darko? I'm sure some idiot GM will throw a 10yr/50mil contract at him but maybe not. If we could get him for the MLE or slightly higher I say we go after him since were not tanking and not getting a top 3 pick anyways. I've seen him play quite a bit this year and the dude can score, rebound and block the hell out of some shots. We can either draft a PG with the Indy pick or a center like Hibbert or Splitter.

Quote:

Is it possible to sign Darko? I'm sure some idiot GM will throw a 10yr/50mil contract at him but maybe not. If we could get him for the MLE or slightly higher I say we go after him since were not tanking and not getting a top 3 pick anyways. I've seen him play quite a bit this year and the dude can score, rebound and block the hell out of some shots. We can either draft a PG with the Indy pick or a center like Hibbert or Splitter.

Orlando threatens to match (or matches), BK blinks costing us JC at the bare minimum, there is NO WAY IN HELL DARKO AGREES TO SIGN HERE FOR 4 YEARS WHEN HE CAN GET 5, 6, OR 7 ANYWHERE ELSE, and he's too rich for our ownership's thretened investment blood!

W

Quote:

It doesn't have to be a free agent. We can do trades also and since we are under the cap we have a lot of flexibility.

Where do you see us getting value enough to turn a 30 win team into a title contender? I don't. Remember we can't trade for a player with more than 4 years and ownership isn't going to spend on any unequal contract be it trade or FAcy.

W

Quote:

Come see me in June. I want to watch the team on the court play before I worry about next year.

Why should a 30 win team worry about next year or its future at all I wonder? Hmm? They should just live and enjoy the now. Future be d@mned!

W

Quote:

Quote:

It doesn't have to be a free agent. We can do trades also and since we are under the cap we have a lot of flexibility.

Where do you see us getting value enough to turn a 30 win team into a title contender? I don't. Remember we can't trade for a player with more than 4 years and ownership isn't going to spend on any unequal contract be it trade or FAcy.

W

First of all in order for the Hawks to be a title contender Marvin will have to be a legit 18-20 ppg scorer and Smith will have to fulfill his potential at the 4 which he seems well on his way to doing.

Now the big hole is at center. You seem to think we need a star but i don't. I posted what i thought we could get in CBA's thread. My post was titled

facing reality

I can also add Nene's name to the list. I have been watching him play lately and he looks fully recovered. After this season he will have 4 yrs left and next year Martin should be back for them. They are way over the cap and might be looking for cap relief and a big (Zaza) and perhaps a draft pick.

David Andersen. Actually I dont think the chaos is that big of a problem, the fact that we dont want to spend too much since we eventually want to resign our young players is. To really change the team we'll have to move one of those players after we have figured out who fits and what we need. We know we need a center now but our players are still too young to figure out. I think our 3 young forwards will each be tradeable for an impact FA in a year or two.

• Premium Member

I think Magloire will have a rough time in FAcy, he might be willing to sign with us for a short term because he would know that he has a starting position.

Mihm will be available for cheap.

There are others who will be coming out and if our young squad plays hard, maybe those guys would like to come aboard. I mean, that's how we got Joe Johnson and Tyron Lue.

• Premium Member

But let me answer your question by begging another one:

Why do the Hawks have to get another good player in free agency? Remember that Knight's two biggest successes in the draft were at #17 and #21.

The Hawks will be looking for an impact player with the Pacers' pick. Beyond that, I would look at Varejao.

Quote:

the fact that we dont want to spend too much since we eventually want to resign our young players is.

Technically the signing of a free agent won't effect the resigning of the young players because you can exceed the cap to resign your own players. And the luxury tax doesn't kick in until your salaries total over $60 million. I am not sure what the exact number is.